Healing

Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At such a conservative country like South Korea, it was almost unbelievable to Byulyi that they could still find an active support group for single mothers, let alone such a friendly and open-minded one like this. Everything made sense though when they met the founders of the group - a lesbian couple who had been legally married overseas for five years and had now a cute two-year-old son.

- I'm Jisoo, and this is my wife Jennie. - The woman with heart-shaped lips gladly introduced themselves, the one beside her also politely greeted her with a smile. - I hope Moonbyul-ssi* doesn't feel uncomfortable with our relationship.

- No no, it's totally fine. - Byulyi quickly waved it off. - I will bring my girlfriend here too some other day. You two look great together. - She smiled genuinely.

- Great! I don't mean to be rude but, can I know your age?

- Ah, I just turned thirty-one some days ago.

- Happy birthday! You're going to be our unnie since she and I are respectively one year and two years younger than you. - It was Jennie's turn to speak up and Byulyi was rather impressed at her melodious voice. - So we're still the youngest here. Everyone here is different, from the age range to background. There're many people who are single mothers without family support, while others are mostly same- couples like us or you.

- Korea in general isn't a safe place for socially non-conforming families. - Jisoo continued. - But settling in another country isn't for everyone either. So we're determined to create a safe space for those in need right in our hometown, where each and every member was welcomed and heard.

Byulyi's respect for the couple increased tremendously.

Everyone in the group was extremely accepting towards her and Yongsun. They organized regular meetings, frequently hung out and openly talked about their own hardships in life. With diverse occupations and viewpoints, it was really likely one member could help solve another's problem.

Byulyi had a chance to talk with those having similar stories and share with them about her experience during pregnancy and what happened when they discovered that her baby was no longer alive. She also got close to Jisoo, whose first pregnancy resulted in miscarriage after the first trimester. Only until now was she convinced that it wasn't her fault Seondal couldn't stay in this world longer. For the first time, she burst into tears not because of mentioning her daughter's death, but because people asked to see her photos. Her mood and condition were improved remarkably. 

Yongsun, on the other hand, gained more advice and useful knowledge for her future works, while also won everyone's heart by offering to become their counselor. She and Jennie quickly got on with each other thanks to both being doctors and the target of teases and jokes from their lovers.

It was undeniable that joining this support group was one of their best decisions ever.

***

- Baby?

- Yeah?

- You know we're going to have to let my parents know about this, right?

- ...

The news had only spread to their colleagues and circles of friends in Seoul, and already busy with thoughts roaming her mind, she had totally forgot that their families had no idea about this horrific event. She wasn't sure if she was ready to confront her closest people about this but-

- How do you want to tell them? - Yongsun gently rubbed her thumb on her hand. - Do you want to meet them or call them? Yonghee unnie is still stuck in England due to pandemic restrictions so we definitely have to talk to her through the phone, but what about mom and dad?

She had Yongsun, she would be fine, wouldn't she?

- Well, - The lawyer replied after a while. - Since it's New Year's Eve in two days, maybe we could invite them over for dinner. Can you tell Yonghee on behalf of me though?

- Of course. Everything for you. - The older smiled.

 

The day soon came, and both of them were anxious. To the Yongsun's surprise, Byulyi volunteered to drive to Bucheon to pick up her lover's parents while the other prepared the meal.

- I will try to make sure they don't know anything. - Byulyi assured. - We need to buy a few things anyways, so I will drop them here before going to the supermarket. If I never leave the car, I doubt they will suspect anything at all.

- Okay. - Yongsun sighed in defeat. - I just want to be with you when you tell them the news, you know.

- I know, and thank you for that. - Byulyi was undeniably touched. - I would want to have you with me when I tell them too. Gosh, what have I done in the past life to deserve such an angel like you?

- I have been wondering the same thing. The most beautiful and lovely human being in the world that I got the honor to love. - The older couldn't help but smile widely. - Go, you're going to be late.

- Wait. - Byulyi quickly but gently turned her girlfriend around and tied her hair with a hair b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter