Prelude

The reasons I live

Prelude 

Generally speaking a father's first thought towards their son should be that they are beautiful. Maybe even the most beautiful thing they have ever seen. To be thankful for being a crucial part of making such a tiny human. And a mother, despite her exhaustion and fatigue should be happy and wish for her son to be happy healthy and handsome. However I was different. When I couldn't talk my mother would call me her unlucky charm and complain about how hard it was to raise me. She would get at me over all the little things that were almost always result of her buying expensive things rather then giving us a proper home and environment. 

 

When I could speak she's was busy yelling at me over any mistakes I made. I fell and it was my fault. I needed to sit up, I was too disrespectful, I ate too loud. Anything and everything she's could find faulty she did and despite the mental abuse She was my world because I only had her. That is where my father came in.

 

When I was six a man dressed in a blue suit came to pick me up from school. The man who later became my guard, lied and told me he was a friend of my mother's. When we got into the car he strapped me in and looked me in the eyes and told me

"When you get to the house don't be disruptive, keep quiet and respectful." I was amazed when we entered a gated community, not realizing that the gates were the prison bars I wouldn't be able to escape from for the rest of my life.

 

When we got to the house I remember that I was nervous and kind of scared, but wanting to be positive I greeted all the staff who simply bowed to me politely.

"Young Master you need to stop bowing back.” the guard corrected me. I faced forward to see my father, grandmother and grandfather sitting on a long table waiting for me.

 

"Oh he is rather adorable, that woman bred well. What is your name young man?"

" I-It's Worth ma'am..." My grandmother was an imposing woman who's beauty Shone even in her older age.

"You're pretty."

"Though flattery may not get you far in life I do appreciate honesty."

"Where is my mother?" All of the adults sitting on the table frowned and my father sighed.

"Is there a need for that woman to interrupt us?"

At this point I was on the verge of tears because I did not know who these people were, not to mention I was in a very unfamiliar place to meet despite everything being very pretty and beautiful. When the guard noticed that I was about to cry, he about to my father and explain to him that I was too young and that this was new to me.

“So I guess that we should introduce ourselves as well then, so you can get comfortable. I am your father.”

“I am your grandmother and this is your grandfather.” The three of them stood up from their seats and a maid was there with my grandparents coats.

“My child, you will live with your father here for a period of time. If you do well, you may see your… mother again.” She left and I was held back by a maid after busting into tears. 

“F-Father…” I held on to his pants so he couldn’t go. He looked down at me like I was a stain on his pants and sneered. 

“Get him some new clothes, these look too ragged.” I looked down at my

 clothes upset because I had worn my new Batman shirt today at school. The maids then calmed me down and after a few hours persuaded me to eat some food. However I refused to get into a bath. I started to throw a tantrum and that’s when my father came. He sent all the maids out of the room and slapped me a few times, warning me to stop acting up. He then took me into the bath where he washed me himself. I was happy, even with my cheeks swollen, I was excited and happy. Looking back I guess that’s when my desperation for his attention started.

 

There was one time , when I was first starting at a new school that I complained to my grandmother that I did not want to switch schools. That day my stomach was hurting me but I was afraid to speak to anyone, my father never visited me unless it was to correct my behavior and the maids all gossiped and laughed around me. It was because, even after five months my mother had not even contacted me. When I called to tell her, I hesitated to tell her why i didn't want to go to which she made me hand the phone to my father. I went into his room for the very first time and after she spoke to him he glared at me. I flinched, knowing that he would hit me again. 

 

My legs stung as I made my way to the classroom and during lunch I couldn't endure the pain anymore and I ended up fainting.

The next week, Because I was not used to the fancy food and was always fussy I didn't want to anger my father again with my stomach pain. Thanks to this I ended up going to the emergency room to get my appendix removed. Not to mention a full week of being home bedridden and in pain. It was after this incident that my father started abusing me.

 

Chapter 1- A terrible dinner

 

Despite not wanting to, I open my eyes and look up at my white ceiling, I feel exhausted but also listless. Tonight is the ‘family’ dinner that has been planned to celebrate and announce my training to officially become the CEO when I graduated. I sat up, The silk sheets crumpled between my fingers softly, tempting me to just go back to sleep even though I could not. Even though a celebration was the very last thing on my mind and if I were to be honest with myself I’d rather just stay home and sleep all day I had a lot to do before the dinner tonight.

 

“ Young master, can I enter your room?” 

“ That’s fine.”  It was a maid who had been working here for a few years now and was used my routine, she quickly the water for me to go get ready and as soon as I got off the bed began making the bed back up.

“ Young master, your father has asked that you attend breakfast this morning- I have arranged a seat across from him for you.” 

“Sure.” It wasn’t very often that I ate with my father, in fact it could be said that I never ate with him. For the past year however every time he would call on me to eat with him it was always because his girlfriends had asked.  I knew, despite never telling me, that my father despised me in some way.  But in front of everyone else he acted like a father would, because he cared a lot about appearance.  So I was also forced to keep up the facade. A great and perfect son who listened and doted on his single father.

 

I quickly got dressed in some jeans and a white button up, threw my papers for the office into my laptop bag and went downstairs to where my father and his girlfriend were lovingly feeding one another. I coughed to get their attention and sat down on the other end of the table. 

“ I hope that you’ll be comfortable enough to eat across from me soon…”

“… I shall move my breakfast across from you then.” Quickly the maids begin to move the tablewear as well as the food has been laid out in for me to the other side of the table, closer to them. I tried my hardest not to frown as I sat down, very annoyed that she had forced me to sit here knowing that if I hadn’t my father would have scolded me. I ate in silence watching the two of them chat back-and-forth happily. I wasn’t really enjoying the food to be honest. In fact nothing really tasted like anything all I wanted to do was quickly finish my meal and leave the house as fast as I could; And since I was trying to rush without making it seem like I was rushing I was not paying attention to the conversation at all. So when my father looked towards me I could not answer. He frowned in warning so I looked at his girlfriend.

 

“ I apologize, I was thinking about office work, what were you talking about?” 

“It’s OK son, I know you’ve been very busy trying to finish the work your father has given you before the company dinner. I was asking you if you could announce our marriage during the party, since your the host.” Honestly I just wanted to say no, but it wasn’t really like she was actually asking me, she was definitely telling me to announce it. Inwardly I got angry for a moment- announcing that they were getting married would be completely overshadowing the fact that I was training to be the new CEO. 

“If I am able to, I certainly will announce the wonderful news. Excuse me but I must be going to the office now.”  She frowned, about to say something else but I cut her off. I got up and went to put on my shoes, once I was finally out of the gates I stopped the car to the side of the road and threw up. The food I had eaten refusing to settle. 

 

I hated coming to this house more then anything but I had to if I wanted to get the CEO position. I knew that my father was only announcing the wedding so quickly because his girlfriend was pregnant. One day when I went to visit my doctor friend from long ago I saw her come out of the maternity ward. I choose to ignore her and hurry home to do more paperwork that day. If the child was a boy, even though he was much younger, no doubt she hoped that my father would slower him with love and give all the shares he had to their child.

Quickly I went to a 7-11 and grabbed a water bottle and some rice chips. I ate and drove to the office.

“Aren’t you the diligent worker?” I walked up to the Benz sitting closest to the entrance.

“Your here as well?”  Yut fixed his suit properly and looked to his watch. We had both done overtime, Yut was also training at the office, my father didn't know this but I wanted him to be the CFO. That way I could already have one person I felt comfortable with.

 

“Did you eat rice chips on your way to work again?” Yut shook his head and reached into his bag where he pulled out a rice ball for me. 

“If you don’t eat properly you’re just going to get sick again, here- you owe me three dollars.” I smiled and happily ate.  Because he’s such a stickler for everything he’s a great addition to the team however a lot of our coworkers don’t really get along with him which is fine because he doesn’t really participate in any of the offices activities anyway. Yut always tells me that there’s no need to because we are only there temporarily.

 

After I finish eating the rice ball I head up to my office where a female coworker is waiting for me, files in hand.

“ Good morning Somchai.” She smiled at me, a slightly seductive tone to her greeting. I nod and take the papers in her hand.

“ As you found out yesterday, I won’t be working in the office starting Monday of next week so we have a lot to do, and a lot to finish before then. I hope that you faxed all of the paperwork over to my father‘s office.“ it had been closely kept secret that I was the son of the CEO up until yesterday, because I would not be able to do my office work efficiently while attending college would be on temporary leave. Since this was announced a lot of my coworkers have been trying to cozy up to me, despite the fact that a lot of them did not treat me very well when I first started. Of course I don’t blame them because I too would be upset if somebody random came and acquired a position higher than me so easily.

 

“Somchai… before we start working I have to admit to something…” I looked up to see her lock my office door.  Only a fool wouldn’t be able to see how she had looked at me once it was announced that I was much more then a colleague. But I would have to be an even bigger fool to fall for such schemes.  Unlike my father, I bore no interest in dating a colleague.

 

“If what you would like to admit involves having any romantic feelings towards me, I must let you down here. I am fully committed to my fiancé.” Of course this was a lie I did in fact have a fiancé but I was not in any way committed to her. Still, not wanting to give up, she sat on the table and kissed my lips. I pulled her off me and looked her in the eyes. 

“ it’s OK if you’re fully committed to your fiancé, I just ask that you love me as well, by now you should know my feelings for you are genuine.” She tried to pull me in for another kiss.

 

“If your ‘sudden’ interest has anything to do with my position, then you would have better luck sleeping with my father.”  I whispered in her ears before standing up and going to the door. I stopped to give her some advice.

 

“Work on your kissing skills if you want to seduce me properly.”After leaving her shocked inside the office, I took a deep breath, I was intending to let her down ' easily however she sounded like my fathers ex for a bit which angered me immensely. I looked out the window, after next week’s dinner I would be in my second year of university... After work I met up with Yut to get lunch, Rune and Athid also decided to come- of course we would be seeing one another at the dinner tonight as well but since we were all friends since we were kids they liked meeting up for lunch a lot. 

“After tonight we will all be in University together.” Rune happily cheered casing a few people to look our way.  Athid was at a different university but was transferring in order to be close to me.

 

“If you talk any louder I’m afraid that the people outside will hear us as well, can’t you keep it down?” Yut rolled his eyes but Rune pouted.

“ I was just a little excited why scold me…” 

“Well anyway this is great, this means I’ll see you more.” Athid grabbed onto my arm. I played with my drink. 

“We’re in different departments- I doubt that would be the case.”

“Still~ won’t it be nice to have your fiancé around to cook and help you study?”

 

“Bleh, I think I just threw up a little.” Rune covered his mouth then held my hand

“ If you eat her cooking you may die before you become CEO… Don’t do it.”

“You!” Athid raised up her chopsticks to hit Rune but he stuck out his tongue and hid behind Yut.

“Get out from behind Yut so I can hit you punk!” 

“No~ hit Yut instead.”

“… Why me?” I smiled slightly amused as I enjoyed the company of my friends.

 

Thinking back, it was also going to be my second year living with Yut. We had moved out together and it had helped me so much. I think I still had some difficulty opening up to people, especially authority figures. But Yut gave me a life I couldn’t have.

 

Between work and my friends a week passed by smoothly, meaning there was a week left for me to continue work at the office and there was only 10 days before I began college. A few days passed as I though about this new step in my life.

 

Tonight, my father was hosting a dinner for the success of his new store and I was to attend. I turned to look at my watch and stretched out, feeling stiff after reading papers for so long. I got up, stretched and went to grab a water from my mini fridge. I take sips in between working and when it hits 11, I grab my suit jacket and head to my car. Finally going to my apartment off campus.

 

There is a nightmare I have ever so often, I’m coming home from school and I run into my father. He’s a drunk mess so even though I want to avoid him i can’t leave him downstairs. I go to pull him upstairs to his room, however he calls me a failure and curses my mother. I get angry, not for my mother's side but because he keeps comparing me to that woman. 

"That , she left me for another man and threw you away at the same time." I He then pushed me to the ground, choking me until I  lose my eyes in pain. Right before I wake up I see myself open my eyes in a hospital, another young boy looking over me.

 

I get off my bed and look into my smart mirror, it looks like it will be 86 today, I should throw on a Blazer then. A maid knocks on the door "Come in." I look to the door and stiffen up, its not a maid but my fathers girlfriend. 

"You should come to breakfast today, soon you'll be going back to University..."

I stare at her in the mirror. She looks and behaves sweet and calm, I guess that's why she's with my father still. I weight my options, I could lie and say I'm busy and risk having my father punish me or I could go and feel terrible watching as my fifty-five year old father flirts with a woman barely 8 years older then me. Opting for less hitting…

"... I will come down shortly." I watch in the mirror as she leaves the room again and sigh. I throw on a burgendy v-neck, an all black chanel jacket and some black jeans. I clip on my watch, my earrings and put some colonge on. As soon as I finish this meal I have to go to the office to sort documents. And if I had let my father hit me Yut would have been pissed at me…

 

"I have something very exciting to share with my two favorite people."  She smiled brightly.

"I'm three months pregnant- with twins!" I almost dropped my fork in shock, my father happily stood out of his chair and pulled her to her feet, the maids clapped in congratulations but all of a sudden my hearing was dulled. As if I was listening to this through cotton, could feel my heart racing too. I got up from the table and looked on at the both of them.

 

"It is time for me to go, congratulations to you both.” I tried not to run to put on my burgendy boots at the door, hop in my car and speed off but I wasn’t slow either. As I made my escape, I suddenly felt sick to my stomach and went into my bathroom. I proceeded to throw up all my breakfast and once I did I felt better. After freshening up again I left the house, and I could see my father kissing his soon to be wife, once more. Rubbing her belly. I threw my bag into the passenger seat and sighed before pressing the start button. My stomach twisted up and suffering. I thought I was used to being abandoned and even if it happened again that I wouldn't act this way but the pit in my stomach told me otherwise...

 

"Are you feeling well Worth?" I'm focused on my files as I push my hair back. A cute coworker comes to the table I’m sitting at.

"I'll be fine."  He pushes me a cup of coffee to me.

"Okay or not I've been working with you long enough to know something's up, anyways I know you won't tell me so here's some coffee to help you stay up and focused." I nodded to him. After thinking a while I informed him that I was not coming back to the office for a while, college courses and working at the office would be too much.

"... When are you leaving..."

" Next Wednesday since I still have to finish the files for the briefing with Mr. Kun."

"Then I have to let you know how I-" Yut burst into the door and yelled out

“That woman is pregnant?!” He coworker stopped telling me.

"Ah... H-hello Mr.Yut..." he bowed deeply to him and ran out of the room. I sighed, focusing on my cousin instead of the confession I was going to receive.

 

“What.” Yut rolled his eyes. 

“Sorry to spoil your fun, Worth. I heard the news from a coworker and wanted to check on you.”

“ I am fine but from how you reacted I thought that I was going to die. More importantly did the plan fall through?”

“No but your not gonna like the new plan much…” I waited for him to continue, tapping the desk.

“Your father agreed to give us the shares we requested on the basis that you marry Athid.” I turned the desk to the window.

“Absolutely not. My marriage is not something that I will sacrifice to improve business. I already told him that if I marry Athid it’s on my own terms, not his.”

“So do we go with Plan B?” I looked down into the parking lot.

“…Sure.”

After our talk, the day was filled with talks and paperwork- when I finished it was already 5, I quickly went to my car and took my suit out of the trunk. Tonight I would be playing a happy family with my father and his girlfriend, a dark blue suit and some white dress shoes. A simple silky white tie over a navy shirt. And a new watch to complete the facade.

 

I drove for a good 45 minutes to the hotel where the party was, right on time. When I went in, my father and girlfriend stood outside the hall.

“Your late.”

“Barely.” I fixed my collar. He was wearing a navy suit as well while his girlfriend wore a floor length, body fitting navy dress, she wasn’t showing yet. “Let’s head in, they just called for us.”

An announcer wearing a grey suit announced us to the crowd gathered in the hall.

“Introducing our CEO and his family.” When we walked in I saw from the corner of my eyes my secretary and Athid talking. I didn’t really care for either of them but knowing Athid it was bound to be something troublesome.

After I greeted our more important guests I made my way over to the coworker I had kissed.

“Alice, are you enjoying this?”

“… Ah, I’m enjoying it… um, can I talk to you outside the hall?”

“Sure.” I let her lead me to an empty hallway.

“What is the issue?”

“I… I wanted to apologize for kissing you! I was just catch up in the moment and I said things I didn’t mean but I apologized to Athid cause she found out and-“

“How did Athid find out?” She looked at me

“Didn’t you tell her? That I confessed to you…” 

 

“Why would I do that?” She bowed to me again and quickly left. I sighed, more then likely someone at the office was Athid spy. Ever since I had admitted to her that I didn’t want to marry her, she kept tabs on any relationships I had. After all the secretary had been crying when she left my office. And Athid can be pretty intimidating when she’s upset. No matter, I walked outside where I passed by another group of people having a party in another room, I was going to just pass by when I saw him. A familiar looking face, a face I didn’t even realize I had missed…

 

A handsome man with light brown stood under the hotels doors. His hair     glistening in the dim lights and his lean figure draped in a dark suit. He looked to the man who stood in front of him, a slight frown on his face as he checked the watch. 

“What, are we early? The rehearsal didn’t start at six?” The brown haired boy smiled sweetly.

"Probably seven… my bad..." I looked at him from inside only stopping when he and the other man came inside to where I was. I felt my heart rate go up and went back into the room, afraid to go and talk to him.

After the party Rune ended up drunk, so Yut took him home along with his sister, and I took Athid home. I was hoping to run into the guys I had seen earlier but it seemed like  their event hadnt ended… And like so, another day passed