Chapter 10

Just Ask For No:Ze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Rays of sunshine worked their way inside Ji Hye’s tiny studio apartment, shining brightly down on the two slumbering women. Ji Hye’s head nestled on Jung Woo’s shoulder as their bare legs tangled carelessly together, still oblivious to the hustle and bustle of the outside world.

Jung Woo stretched, the length of her left arm felt numb, but she was still trapped between conscious and unconsciousness to understand why. Rubbing ineffectually at her eyes that wanted to remain close, her body beginning to break through the slumber. She finally managed to pry them open to see the reason why she couldn’t feel her arm – Ji Hye was lying there, still seeking comfort and solitude in her warm embrace.

Ji Hye looked so peaceful. The restful sleep had done her a world of difference, Jung Woo noted silently. The circles under her eyes weren’t nearly as prominent and there was a flush on her cheeks replacing the paleness of her skin. Jung Woo knew she had to move, but she wanted to cherish this perfect stillness just a little bit longer.   

She felt a faint vibration somewhere near her hips and after a moment of blindly hunting down the annoying insistent pulse, found her phone and groaned when she saw the text message bubble from Dia reminding her of her meeting with Ki-Am and Myung So oppa for their next project launching.

Carefully extracting herself without waking up the precious bundle in her arm, Jung Woo winced when pins and needles attacked her arm as blood flowed back freely without the added pressure. Tiptoeing on the wooden floor, she snorted to herself as she exchanged the borrowed shirt with her slightly crumpled dress, couldn’t remember the last time she had to resort to wearing yesterday's clothes. Stealing a black rubber band from Ji Hye’s cluttered desk, she quickly put up her unruly hair into a messy bun and put on her coat.

Jung Woo bit her lips, torn between waking Ji Hye up or letting herself out and leaving a message to let her know that she has to go home. Trusting her gut feeling, she climbed back into the futon bed and brushed Ji Hye’s bangs softly. “Ji Hye-ya.”

“Hmmm?”

“Ji Hye-ya, I have to go.”

She smiled when Ji Hye instantly sat up, all bleary-eyed and puffy pouty face, trying her hardest to look awake and failed gloriously. Chuckling lightly, Jung Woo squeezed Ji Hye’s arm affectionately, repeating her words until she was sure that it was registered in Ji Hye’s sleep-addled brain.

“I have to go. I’ll call you, go back to sleep.”

She waited until Ji Hye nodded before leaving, closing the door softly behind her.

***

Jung Woo rushed to her apartment, taking off her coat and her dress quickly before entering the shower. Rain of hot water cascaded over her body, cleansing away her body from the kink and sleepiness that still clung to her. Her thoughts quickly went back toward the young woman and her current situation. Even though her father has mellowed out after all those years apart and offered her shelter and a job to support his only daughter and her brother has sought her out to lend his silent support, Ji Hye’s mother was unshaken, still refusing to even acknowledge her existence. Jung Woo knew that there was not much that she could offer by way of help and the last time she even tried, she went on the wrong way.

Nevertheless, her heart aches for Ji Hye and she knew that it was her rage and fury on Ji Hye’s behalf that fueled her thoughts and made her wonder whether it would be okay for her to offer Ji Hye a steadier job and maybe help her to find another place to stay rather than living there out of the mercy of her father and always be pestered to change so they could be a whole family again.

Damn her family to hell.

Her thoughts took different routes and she blushed when she remembered Ji Hye’s confession of love. She pressed her heated forehead onto the cold tiles to help her think, Ji Hye’s words keep running through on a loop.

‘I’m in love with you.’

The clearness of Ji Hye’s eyes and her words pulled on something unidentifiable in Jung Woo’s heart. In the few short months that they had known each other, Ji Hye had offered her friendship and the extraordinary gift of unexplainable bonds between them, and Jung Woo didn’t know what to do with that confession or where it would lead them.

The smile that Ji Hye gave her afterward was a mixture of sadness and an overwhelming acceptance, ‘Don’t let my love for you be one more burden that you have to bear.” Ji Hye has spoken those words so clearly and concisely, reading her easily like their soul share the same plane of existence. ‘Nothing has to change.’

What Ji Hye didn’t know was that her mere existence in Jung Woo’s life has changed everything.  

 

***

Jung Woo shook the curls of her hair until it fell into a soft wave around her white turtle-neck cashmere dress, the high-thigh suede soft brown boots left just the tiniest bit of her thigh skin showing. Shrugging her camel woolen coat on, she walked quickly to the parking lot, only having little time to spare before her meeting, wanting nothing more to quickly end the day so she could take Ji Hye out for dinner, wondering whether it would be an acceptable route to spend another night with her.

She was so lost in her thoughts that she belatedly realized two shadows fall into steps on either side of her until a soft touch on her right arm spooked her into a silent gasp. She looked to her side and the sliver of fear that seized her turned into exasperated bitterness when she recognized the face of Woo Sung’s main bodyguard.

“Miss Shin, please, this way.”

“No.”

“I insist, please, just a few moments of your time.”

Jung Woo bit back her curse, realizing that regardless of her refusal, she could not brush them off easily. Glaring at the stoic man, she gritted her teeth and braced herself for the confrontation that would soon follow.

She entered the Maybach Pullman car, taking a seat directly opposite the quiet man, the tightness in his jaw betrayed the semblance of calm on his handsome face.

“Where were you?”

“That’s a new low, spying on me.” Jung Woo’s voice was arctic cold, matching his glare. She has no reason to fear him; knowing him for nearly a decade, she knew that he would never hurt her. Even so, his current action irked her already thin patience.

“You blocked my number.”

“The constant call annoys me.”

A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as he leaned forward, the very essence of calmness, but Jung Woo saw how his clasped hands tightened ever so slightly. “Where were you?” he asked again, tersely this time and Jung Woo could feel the sudden pressure behind his questioning.

“None of your business.”

“Don’t make me ask again.”

Jung Woo glared at his unspoken threat and drew her breath sharply when he grabbed her so easily, planting her in his lap and trapped her between his arms, holding her to him. She heard his grunt of pain when her elbow connected sharply against his chest, but he was much stronger than her to break free. She shuddered when his lips found their way toward her ear, a tendril of fear sneaked unbiddenly and yanked on her instinct. “Where were you?”

“Hanee’s.” 

She answered in a snap. Nonetheless, the coiled tension around his shoulder dropped instantly when he recognized the name and eliminated it as a threat.

“I see. Girl’s night?” he asked, conversely this time, as if they were simply talking about the weather and he didn’t have his arms wrapped around Jung Woo’s torso in captivity.

“Now that you have your answer,” Jung Woo turned around, her eyes blazing with fury as she glowered at him, ignoring the press of his body against her, ignoring the closeness of his face, ignoring the thumping of adrenaline coursing through her veins, “let go.”  

His hold on her body tightened, refusing to let go as he gazed at her face as if transfixed, oblivious to her flinch when his fingers her face in pure unadulterated longing, “I miss you.”

She scoffed at him, “Why? Did you break it off with that actress? Did she find out about that idol that you have on the side and threw a fit? Or did she find out about your business partner’s wife? Or, oh I don’t know, that you also screw that young up-and-comer actress that she introduced to you? We ran in the same circle, you think I didn’t know about your adventures? Good on you, though, that actress was a nightmare.”

His eyes twinkled with amusement and there was fondness in his smile as he simply looked fixedly at the woman that once upon a time he vowed to marry. “And you asked me why I miss you? In this fabricated world, you are the only one that’s real.”

“Oh, off.”

Laughing, he loosened his hold, allowing her to move yet still within his proximity control. “Have dinner with me.”

Jung Woo stared at him and knew that it wouldn’t stop at dinner, knew that wasn’t all he wanted. She could see it clearly in his eyes, he wanted it all, the wealth, the power, the image of a perfect life and her.

“Four years ago I told you that I would never be your dirty little secret. The answer is still the same.” Her voice was dead calm as she dared him to look at her closely, “Four years ago, you broke me to pieces. All those promises and dreams meant nothing compared to the power that marrying the daughter of a presidential candidate will give your family.”

“And now it’s nearing the election, so close to campaign time. Be that poster boy of a perfectly happy family, take a walk in the park and kiss your wife in public, I don’t care, but make sure you win him that presidential seat. Behave yourself, don’t even think about looking at me.”

Jung Woo drew a shaky breath, “Don’t rend all those pain that you put me through in vain.” Her hand shook as she used her last strength to push herself off him, but she found no resistance, he simply watched her take back her seat and Jung Woo could not decipher what went through his mind right now.

He took his time, burning down the temporal length of time just keeping her in his sight until he simply knocked on the black tinted window once and her way to freedom was opened.

Jung Woo didn’t even spare him a glance before stepping out of the car, heels scrapping the concrete pavement in her haste to put distance between them.

“He will be president. I can assure you that.”

His voice rang through the parking lot and a quick check to where she knew the CCTV was located confirmed her suspicion that they were disabled, another glance and she saw that the bastard had blocked out all possible exits. No wonder he dared to show his face like this.

“One term, Jung Woo-ya. One term, that’s all I’m asking. My vow still stands, I will marry you.”

Her footsteps slowed as she neared her car. Opening the door, she looked back, seeing him standing there with a hopeful look on his face, she saw traces of the man she used to love.

“I don’t know whether age has mellowed me out or something, but I kept thinking about the future lately and every time I closed my eyes, there was someone beside me…” Jung Woo smiled in remembrance of gentle laughter, warm smiles, and the comfort that it brings before looking at him from across the room and her smile dimmed with melancholy, “and it wasn’t you.”

She expelled a long cleansing breath, releasing the ghost of the past that sometimes still hounds her, her smile to him was brighter then, a little apologetic even, “Oh, I lied. I wasn’t at Hanee’s.” It was her parting words before she entered her car and drove away, missing the thunderous rage flashing across his face.      

***

“Sorry, I was late.”

Jung Woo rushed inside the buzzing meeting room – already asked Hyo Won to go on ahead with the meeting while she battle the traffic – tossing her bag and coat carelessly on the unoccupied black leather chair near the door, she rolled up the sleeves of her sweater as she joined the group at the table, “Where were we?”

“The lounge set.”

Jung Woo blinked, wondering whether she started imagining Ji Hye everywhere. Looking up carefully from the 3D set in front of her, she found the source of the voice in the form of a grinning Ji Hye, who quickly found her manner and gave her 90 degrees bow, hands politely folded in front of her belly. “Hello, my name is Noh Ji Hye and I will be the designer and on-site junior project manager for this project. Nice to meet you.”

Jung Woo blinked again, suddenly at a loss for words, until Hyo Won gave her a tiny nudge, “Ji Hye work for OnlyForwardDesign now.” Explaining the reason why Ji Hye was in the meeting and leading the presentation instead of Ki-Am, who at that very moment, along with his husband by his side looked awfully like proud parents doting on their genius daughter.

“I see.” Jung Woo’s entire face softened as she gave Ji Hye a bright smile, “Welcome on board. So, what are you suggesting?”

One of the advantages of working with a frequent collaborator was that they already knew and anticipated what Jung Woo wanted. Hence, between Chinese take-out, ice Americanos, chips, and other assorted pieces of bread in between shouting, brainstorming, and a lot of laughter, they managed to get the concept for the luxury lingerie launching down pat and rearing to go.

Groaning out loud, Mama Bear stretched his burly body – stiff from too much sitting and crouching around the table – and bellowed, “Anyone wants to get smashed tonight?” Raised hands filled the room, shouting their confirmations aside from the two people who simply looked around the room with smiles on their faces.

“The first round is on me!” Jung Woo shouted to an explosion of cheers, “But Hyo Won will have to cover the bills first. I can’t go this time but have fun and thank you for the hard work.” Jung Woo threw an apologetic smile to the scandalized Ki-Am and threw her arms around him in a long hug, “It’s been a crazy day and I still have somewhere to be, enjoy your night, mommy.” Kissing him on the lips to shut him up, Jung Woo quickly moved sideways and gave her Mama Bear a big hug. “Thank you,” she whispered and they both knew that it wasn’t just for the project.

“Eat something delicious, you are way too skinny,” was his only answer before he kissed her cheek. “Alright, you heard the boss, the first round is on her, and then Hyo Won.”

“Ya! Who said I’m paying for the second round!?” Hyo Won’s protest was the last thing that was heard before the big group left the room, leaving only the Creative Director and the newly minted designer behind.

“You’re not going with them?”

Ji Hye approached Jung Woo slowly, a playful grin on her lips as she simply shook her head, “Why would I want to get drunk with a bunch of loud crowds if I could take a beautiful woman out for dinner.”

Jung Woo nodded in agreement, “True… So, you have a date with Emma?”

Snorting softly, Ji Hye grasped Jung Woo’s hand and linked their fingers together in a tight hold to tug Jung Woo closer to her and met no resistance, “Nah, I have someone else in mind. Why? Jealous?”

“Maybe… And if I do?”

It was so unfair, just how beautiful Jung Woo looked, even the long and tiring day didn’t dare mar the exquisite plane of her face. Ji Hye’s fingers itched to burrow themselves into those long dark tresses and kissed that teasing smirk off, forestall by a single cell of the active logical part of her brain warning her that Jung Woo was only teasing her as a friend, that it was simply that, a tease and nothing more.

“Come on, I’m hungry. Let’s go out and celebrate my first permanent job, my treat. There’s a place that I want to take you to, but…” she took a once over at Jung Woo’s heel boots and shook her head, “those boots are not made for walking.”

“You are forgetting that this is a design headquarters. Wait for me in the lobby, I’ll go change.”  

 

Jung Woo gathered her hair and secured it into a messy high ponytail, exchanging her outfit into more comfortable black jeans, a black turtleneck, and a leather jacket paired with black no heels boots, she grabbed her car key and walked over to Dia who still typing away in her laptop outside of her office.

“Can you get a driver to take back my car, I won’t be using them tonight.” She put the key on Dia’s desk, “Don’t work too late and join the others, Hyo Won is paying.” She grinned and waved her goodbye.

She quickened her steps when she saw Ji Hye already waiting for her in the brightly lit lobby, linking her arm around Ji Hye’s she steered the younger woman away from the main entrance, “Let’s take the back door, there are too many people outside.”

Ji Hye nodded, “I was about to say the same thing, it’s closer that way. Come on.”

 

The hole-in-the-wall restaurant that Ji Hye took her to was packed with youngsters and couples on a date, but they were lucky enough to secure a table at the back of the restaurant, more secluded and away from prying eyes. Not that anyone would recognize her in this place but the semi-private setting was more to their liking.

“This place served the best jeon and makgeolli in town.” She pointed to the pictures lining up the wall full of celebrities and a recognizable face of a chef, “He owned this place, so you can rest assured that the food would be great.”

“So… OFD, huh?”

Ji Hye grinned and nodded, pouring the milky fizzy liquid into the serving bowls, and lifting hers for a toast that Jung Woo easily complied to, “Yep.” She took a big gulp and sighed happily, a flush appearing on her cheek prettily, a combination of the warmth of the place, the alcohol that she had just taken, and the present company.

“Mama Bear hunted me down a couple of days after… you know.” She had the grace to blush even deeper red at the memory of her simply storming out from Jung Woo’s office. “Did you tell him? Because he said something along the line that he felt partly responsible for your action.”

Jung Woo shrugged, the conversation between her and Myung Soo oppa was terse and heavy, something that Ji Hye didn’t have to know.

“Long story short, he and mommy took the time to have long conversations with me. It was weird, I don’t have much experience just talking like that with a parental figure and…” Ji Hye laughed a little to cover the sudden wave of emotion and thankfulness that she felt for the couple. “Wait…” she scrolled

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter