Five Years Gone

Brown Eyes, Orange Skies

Stable job. New car. Timeless beauty.

 

And above all those, it’s still the same Myoui Mina, who dreamt of working in a hospital, wearing her white coat, and treating all her patients with good care and not seeing them again as a patient, but rather a healthy person because they already healed their wounds (oh, how relieving it is when they already healed all their wounds in their whole being, Mina chuckled at herself).

 

She has that affection from her patients where she wants to bump with them on the streets and not on the hospital hallways, operating rooms, or clinic because she wants them to be healthy and live their life to the fullest without worrying about their whole being.

 

It can also be the reason why a lot of patients love her as a doctor, especially children, as she has that soft spot for them and always gives them treats when they behave well during checkups.

 

Though she’s somehow in a loop where she just keeps on treating patients, advising them what to do, staying in an operating room, chatting with her colleagues, and grabbing coffee, even in twilight, Mina couldn’t ask for more as she wants to help people, more than just her profession.

 

She can also say that she finally made her dreams into reality as she now has a house and lot, but still kept her apartment, and able to buy herself a car already as well as provide for her own needs, even giving back a lot to her own family and her relatives are praising her for her hard work and for achieving that kind of success in her whole life.

 

Yet, she somehow feels irritated when someone asks her when she will get married and have a family, or even a partner in life because why do they need to become nosy in another person’s life when they should just care about their own business? Instead, she just keeps on doing her job and forget everything personal because at the end of the day, she will still be alone with her dog on her enormous, luxury house.

 

And as for Chaeyoung, she indeed got a lot of exhibitions experienced and already sold a lot of paintings and drawings to different people, even those who are famous all around the globe.

 

Her name is posted and known worldwide because her art skills are one-of-a-kind, certainly gives comfort and peacefulness to those who needs it.

 

The way she uses colors and are all associated with the message she wants to give to her audience and many aspiring artists and even students are being inspired by her works, the reason why she also received a pretty big amount of awards and recognitions from different universities and even at a national level.

 

Many people attend her exhibitions and likes to interpret her paintings in their own. She thinks that it’s like music that can be interpreted in many ways, but can have only one direct meaning to everyone’s hearts.

 

Chaeyoung is just glad that she got to achieve her dream of spreading positive messages around the world through her heart.

 

It certainly melts her heart when children admire her work and some teenagers who even tear up because they understood the artwork too well and inspires them to become a better person and have wise decisions for their future while still enjoying their present and not worrying too much about what will happen to them in the next years.

 

Whenever she came across people in the streets wearing only her hoodie and her bucket hat to buy some yoghurt from the convenience store just across her apartment, she likes observing people and their everyday life that eventually becomes an inspiration to her artworks full of people and how they choose love and happiness amidst all the circumstances the world can bring them.

 

She also likes listening to different kinds of stories in life that adds a factor to her inspiration in every artwork she makes because she wants to be that artist who cares for people’s feelings and not invalidating them, she wants to become the medium of others who cannot express and communicate their feelings well because she doesn’t want to waste another chance, she doesn’t want to fail, she doesn’t want to experience that kind of pain once again.

 

Nevertheless, she can say that she became successful with her dreams and living the life of reality. She is already stable and satisfied with her apartment, car, and dog.

 

The both of them still pursued their dreams just like what they planned since day one and even if they did achieve all of those without each other by their side anymore, they know deep down that they are proud of one another.

 

Because Mina saw how hardworking Chaeyoung is, working on her piece, smiling on other’s achievements, and the next thing she knew, it’s already being painted and inspires more people and Chaeyoung knows how Mina loves her work so much that even if she doesn’t eat any meals yet, she will still give a smile and hope to her patients just so they can eventually feel better.

 

Their paths still cross somehow when Mina will walk on the streets randomly going to work and will see Chaeyoung sitting outside a coffee shop just to sketch the kids playing or when Chaeyoung will go to the hospital to observe and will suddenly just gives donations to the organizations partnered with the hospital with the money she earned from her exhibitions.

 

But they never saw each other directly again and the last time they had some face-to-face interaction was already five years ago and both will admit that if they will be given a chance of seeing each other again and have a small talk, even in the cafeteria of the hospital or the convenience store near Chaeyoung’s apartment, their hearts will still recognize how each other can make them feel safe and loved.

 

The feelings they had for each other decades ago is still there, but they do not want to interfere with it anymore because they know that they are already living their respective peaceful lives without one another and they do not want to ruin it anymore.

 

Besides, whenever the skies turn into orange ones and the sun is about to go its way down, their heart is still going to its normal, peaceful state so there’s really need to worry about their feelings as they know, they will going to heal from their breakup soon.

 

Together, they’re still not the perfect pair like they assumed to be as they didn’t end up with each other, and it’s okay, it will going to be okay.

 

Mina sighed. She was loving the sunset too much in the past few weeks and even if it indeed gives her tranquility in her whole being, she can’t help but think of that one person who told her that the sunset is beautiful but broke up with her the next moment.

 

She chuckled next. People might think she’s out of her mind already as she doesn’t have anyone beside her, yet she’s thinking out loud. Good thing, she’s at the hospital rooftop and no one’s going up there at that time because they’re busy with their own patients and businesses and she’s usually taking a break at that time.

 

She doesn’t know why the sunset grows a different kind of comfort in her system, but whenever the colors of the sky changes, it is already a cue for her to go up and just stay there until the sun eventually goes down.

 

It is probably the closure she wants to have as her heart still desires for the same person she can’t have anymore.

 

And while Chaeyoung also likes to watch sunsets from her balcony before she eventually starts doing her projects, her mind and her heart keep on reminding her about that one person she enjoys watching the certain moment with.

 

She will never forget how the girl keeps on emphasizing how beautiful her brown eyes is, particularly when the orange skies because of the sunset that reflects on it.

 

She still somehow feels her presence beside her, the one who always like to put her head on her shoulder and she will play with her fingers while they enjoy the scenery, forever grateful about the love they share and each other’s existence.

 

They will talk about everything under the sun, their dreams, their regrets, their secrets, and they will laugh afterwards, and say how lovely it is that they always have time for each other and how they end up with one another, amidst all the students in the campus and even all the people in the world. They will keep on saying sweet things to each other, sharing short, sweet kisses and comforting embrace until the sun goes down.

 

But they are both alone in their respective spaces already and no one’s there to wipe their tears anymore and remind them how special their existence is in this entire world.

 

And if there will be a chance given to the both of them, they would want to meet again in their next lifetime where they can hopefully, finally be together until the end.

 

“I still love you the most in this entire world.”

 

“And the sunset is still beautiful, like it always is”

 

Yet for now, Mina will always be Chaeyoung’s lavender and Chaeyoung will always be Mina’s blue, even if they’re not the endgame.