The Breaking Point

Brown Eyes, Orange Skies

Mina was the person Chaeyoung met and they instantly clicked.

 

She’s the sweetest, most genuine person she ever laid eyes on. She walked into her life like she always lived there.

 

It is as if her heart was built for Mina.

 

She inspires her to become a better person, to become the better version of herself. Being in her presence brings her fun, playful side and she certainly makes her laugh until her stomach hurts and Mina’s presence is burned into Chaeyoung’s soul forever.

 

That is the sole reason why Mina is Chaeyoung’s lavender, her own inspiration, the healing and purity she wants the world to give her.

 

For her, Mina is everything she could ever wish for.

 

She’s her favorite melody, the coffee she needs every morning, the pillow that comforts her every night, the journal that knows everything about her, the moon that watches her glow even in the night, and the stars that gives light to her life.

 

Meeting Mina was a blessing.

 

She was the one that she didn’t pray for yet when she actually came into her life, it is as if she’s immediately comfortable with her presence and Mina is right because she also feels the same way, she also feels home when she’s with her.

 

The first time she saw her at the campus in the hallways where everyone is so busy chitchatting and excited for their college years ahead, she has been just quiet, just listening to her friends’ stories and smiling a bit when her friends are already laughing out loud.

 

When the orientation eventually started and even if Chaeyoung wasn’t comfortable with her sit because it’s already near the back and she can’t concentrate, as if she wants to be there in the first place, her eyes still caught Mina, amidst the crowd who listens to the school authorities explaining the school rules and everything that is written in the handbook, and how she keeps on fanning herself even if the air conditioner in the function hall were all open.

 

Her beauty was different from anyone else. Her gaze is wonderful and the beauty marks in her face make her outstanding. The first time she saw her, she can definitely say that it can be one of her beauty assets and even if she won’t wear any makeup, she can look gorgeous already.

 

She wears a simple jeans and just a white shirt with a minimal design and a white shoes yet she’s already rocking her outfit unlike some students who wears dresses and skirts in their first day but still not that a ‘head-turner’ type of student. And it can be somehow weird for Chaeyoung but Mina can probably smell like jasmines with the purity written all over her face.

 

She doesn’t know why she enjoys staring at the girl that can already make her feel like she’s some kind of stalker or creep of some sort, but her just standing few feet away from Chaeyoung makes the latter already feel like she’s in heaven.

 

“What is happening to you and why does it feel like you instantly found your own muse for the next 4 years in college? Are you that obsessed with pretty girls?”

 

“Am I that obvious?”

 

Dahyun and Jeongyeon laughed at Chaeyoung while Tzuyu shook her head. They were the best of friends since high school and glad to spend their last years studying with each other because even if it is corny to have a promise, they still want to be with one another until they settle down and believes that their friendship will last.

 

“You’re staring at that psychology student for the whole damn orientation, Chaeyoung. You were the type to listen to the speaker when there are seminars and such in school, but looking at you a while ago, it is as if you’re hook in a game or some sort that you didn’t even flinch looking at her. Gosh.”

 

“Do you want us to ask for her schedule this semester and see if you’re classmates in any general subjects?”

 

“Wait, no. That’s really embarrassing, please.”

 

That doesn’t stop there, though, because when Tzuyu was elected as part of the student council, she immediately asked Jihyo, the Vice President, about her friend’s general subjects and relayed it to Chaeyoung through their usual night calls while doing their respective activities.

 

“Hey, your professor will eventually attend your class and by the time it will happen, it will be merged with other psychology students and that’s when you will be classmates with Myoui Mina. That’s her name”

 

Everyone was in awe when Tzuyu announced something related to Chaeyoung’s love life and that made the latter flash a smile and immediately went to her phone to search the girl’s name on her social media accounts.

 

“Damn. No photos or anything.”

 

Jeongyeon laughed at her but still encouraged her to go on with her plan, if there’s any.

 

“You can still talk to her during class, though. Start praying now that you should be groupmates or partners in any activities.”

 

It was a crush, for sure.

 

Mina was the reason why Chaeyoung always has that bright smile on her face and the reason why she doesn’t get too irritated with the number of activities she needs to finish every night because she has someone that inspires her to finish everything, even if they don’t talk that much once the class starts and they are not seatmates either, one row to be exact and they are at the opposite ends of each row.

 

Once she gained the courage to message her out of nowhere when she was doing a requirement for their subject, it is as if a magic happened because they already laughed during their conversation talking how stressed they are with the requirements and that’s when she knew that Mina can be the reason of her happiness for her whole college life, despite not having the same course.

 

And it became deeper and too personal that’s the reason why she tried to avoid that moment, that she tried to stop for a while because she wants to be sure about everything, also the reason why she put her attention to other important things ahead of her (or so she thought, because she also tried talking to other people just to test if she feel the same way like her heart beats for Mina, but she’s wrong).

 

So when Mina randomly blunted out that she likes Chaeyoung’s company that the latter instantly made a meaning, that’s when she knew she became her own lavender.

 

And Chaeyoung is Mina’s blue—her comfort, the one that takes all her worries away, someone that will stay by her side even if she’ll put her through a lot.

 

Everyone knows how hardworking she is in everything and prioritize her studies above all, that’s why it can be considered a miracle when Mina will eventually stop whatever she is doing and come with her friends to bond on a Friday night or a random day because she’s stressed and tired and done with everything and just want to get wasted.

 

She’s grateful for Chaeyoung’s existence, really. It is as if she’s the only one who allows her to be herself, to rant about her life, to cry, to not look as her best because she won’t judge her and will just listen to her stories.

 

She’s the literal comfort she never knew she needed in her whole life and no matter how she wants to bring down the girl and reject her, there still come a time that Chaeyoung will aimlessly say that she won’t give up on her that will make her tear up a little.

 

Why is she even giving mixed signals when Mina is slowly building her decision about her love life that shouldn’t be her priority, most particularly in her college life? But Chaeyoung gives serenity in her whole being, the rest she wants to keep having when the world is too toxic, and the one that makes her whole world stop with her wonderful smile.

 

She doesn’t know how Chaeyoung does that thing where she will just flash a smile and will already give a relieving feeling in Mina’s chest because to be honest, everything feels so light whenever she’s talking with Chaeyoung, she’s literally a guardian angel that protects her from the pain the world is giving her.

 

And after barely two years in college and knowing each other better and still focusing on their goals in academics, they eventually figured out their respective feelings, even with the help of their friends, and other factors around them.

 

“I love you the most in the entire world, Mina”

 

It may seem a little bit fast, but the atmosphere is cold and Mina’s wearing a skirt as they both sit in the swing in the playground near Mina’s house and Chaeyoung’s heart feels like exploding already because Mina’s been running in her mind for the past months already after she decided to pursue Mina and be serious about her because what else can she do when she’s the only person that can make her heart beat faster than usual, can make her smile even if her whole day has been so bad, and can definitely make her whole world bright and sunny.

 

“Chaeyoung?”

 

The world stopped for a moment. It’s just the two of them and no one else. Their heart beats faster than usual, as if they are going to have a heart attack in a minute. It’s a cliché scene already, but it’s both foreign for Mina and Chaeyoung, as if they’re in a romantic movie, or a romantic book where the leads already figured out their feelings for one another.

 

There’s a comforting silence for a while as they both absorb what just happened, but no one’s moving. Few blinks and they want to process everything about that moment.

 

It’s certainly satisfying to finally confess in Chaeyoung’s place because she doesn’t want to lose the chance already, she doesn’t want to be late in anything as she doesn’t want Mina to do the first move all over again. She wants to be the one who will stand for the both of them.

 

“I’m really serious, Mina. In this cruel world, you are my safe space, that’s why I know in myself, that I love you the most in this entire world.”

 

“I—“

 

It’s a euphoric feeling. Hearing those words from Chaeyoung makes Mina feel like she’s falling and knowing someone will catch her. It’s soothing, everything about Chaeyoung is reassuring.

 

“You don’t have to answer back. I’m willing to wait until you’re ready and hundred percent sure about your feelings. I don’t want to pressure you. I just want you to know how I feel about you and how sure I am with you. I love you, Myoui Mina. I really do.”

 

Mina gradually stood up, stretched her body for a while and saw how magnificent the sunset is, though she knows the view from Chaeyoung’s bedroom is still the first spot in her heart, before she eventually went to Chaeyoung and gave the girl a kiss on her cheek that surely made the latter stunned.

 

“I love you, too, idiot”

 

A naughty smile formed on Mina’s face before she pulled Chaeyoung from the swing and made her hug her as they watch the sunset together. What a picture perfect.

 

Chaeyoung cannot explain that moment. It seems like her heart wants to burst a lot more than usual and she just want to cry because it sure is overwhelming yet wonderful and lovely and nice all at the same time.

 

She knows she just made the right decision of being vocal about her feelings because once she’s decided about something, she will make sure that it is all worth it and it truly is because Mina feels the same way towards her and they will just keep on earning the trust, love, and honesty they will need to make their relationship strong.

 

It was a relieving feeling and definitely much more than that.

 

It felt like walking on cloud nine or hearing the angels sing or taste like a sweet candy or feeling the world being beautiful and worth-living. That’s how she feels loving Mina and she won’t ever regret anything about it.

 

And for Mina, it’s the love that is surreal.

 

She just keeps on reminding herself that it is the reality she will keep on living from then on and she already found a partner she has in life that she can rely on, that she can be her inspiration and motivation to keep moving forward.

 

She didn’t even realize it at first how she loves Chaeyoung until she stays up until 5AM sitting on her bed hugging her pillow while crying her eyes out because she wants to keep seeing Chaeyoung even if she have photos and videos of her on her gallery and she can see her the next day.

 

Their relationship was smooth as butter and they do not have a serious fight.

 

They have dates during weekends, also giving each other time and personal space for themselves, always supporting each other and accepted both by their families and friends.

 

They really do not have anything to wish for as it is already a smooth sailing relationship and they are sure that they will last until the end.

 

When they eventually reached their final year in college and in school, where they are extremely busy with their projects and internship, Mina asked Chaeyoung for some time because she’s already stressed with her duty in the hospital and she just wants some break from everything and maybe plan for their future as well.

 

It was a Thursday night and Mina feels so comfortable wearing her girlfriend’s hoodie instead of her white coat and it feels so warm lying in her girlfriend’s chest other than anything else in the world, she could fall asleep any moment with the way Chaeyoung plays with her hair and keeps on kissing her crown.

 

“Chae, don’t be pressured or something, but I’m thinking of settling down already after graduation”

 

“Mhm”

 

“Maybe we can rent an apartment so we can move in? That’s where we’ll slowly make our dreams come true while we work on it. What you say?”

 

Mina can sense that Chaeyoung is near in falling asleep, but she still continued anyway.

 

“It would be great if you can have your own exhibition by that time with the help of your commissions and other projects. We can combine our income to provide for our needs. What do you think of proposing this plan to our parents? And this would be really early and cheesy at this kind of moment, but it would be lovely to have your last name on mine in the long run”

 

It was a very long, stressful, exhausting day for Chaeyoung that’s why she agreed on meeting Mina because it has been weeks since they saw each other, but at that moment, she felt heaviness in her chest instead of being relieved that she finally has her girlfriend beside her because why does she even blunt that kind of things when they can just focus on their present and worry about their future later?

 

Why does Mina feel like planning everything just for herself? Where is she even in those plans?

 

Mina taught her about her past, thinking about her future is still Chaeyoung.

 

She wants to argue and contrast Mina with what she is saying because she certainly got lost in translation and is asking for too much, but she doesn’t have the energy to do so, so Chaeyoung was the one who let go and just walked away.

 

Without any explanation, without any reason that left Mina crying and confused because they were so comfortable with their position, she was asking for her opinion and openly giving a suggestion for their relationship and she’s sure that there’s nothing wrong about it so why is Chaeyoung acting so dramatic all of a sudden?

 

It made Mina wonder if Chaeyoung was really worth it because in the past months, ever since their senior year started, it seems like their relationship also started drifting apart.

 

And no, it’s not okay, it’s definitely not okay feeling the pain all over again, breaking for someone that she doesn’t even sure about anymore.

 

Mina hates it, Mina hates being uncertain about everything—even if Chaeyoung’s voice continues to echo in her head that make her cry more, that makes her heart break into pieces.

 

“I love the most in this entire world, Mina.”