Chapter V: The Rain Before It Pours

I’d Forget About You If You Asked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie ended up asking Rosie to pour her six more another's, finishing off a third of the bottle by herself just before the end credits rolled. Years of being best friends with Jennie has taught Rosie that she's the affectionate type just before her blood-alcohol level reaches the point where she will physiologically pass out. The blonde disliked it for selfish reasons, but didn't mind it for selfish reasons as well. The more servings she downs, the snugger she gets to Rosie's body. It's during these nights Rosie imagines a life with Jennie the most. It's also in nights like these she is reminded how that's just not in the cards for her in this life.

The tipsy being asked her if she could sleepover. As if she even needed to ask. She wasn't going to let her go home in this state anyway. She assumed by the third top-off that she's going to stay the night. Now, they've had hundreds of sleepovers--from college, to graduate school, and up until their professional lives now. Jennie has a side she prefers on Rosie's bed--left, facing the curtained small window where a hint of the light from the night scape streams in. 

Normally, Jennie would go for a cozy oversized old college sweater with a pair of sweatpants that would double as socks given how long they were for her. But, absolutely nothing about tonight has been normal. When Rosie came out of the bathroom, she saw that Jennie has changed into some sleepwear, if you can call it that. She managed to find a thin gray tank top that the blonde knows is shoved far back in her closet. Oh, and she forewent any bottoms.

 Just peachy. Rosie hasn't prayed in a long time, but she had to sigh a quick "Mother Mary, pray for me" when she saw Jennie bend over slightly to light the vanilla scented candle on her bedside table. She wanted to slap herself every time she had the urge to look down below the brunette's picturesque clavicles.

She counted it as an off-kilter blessing that the night has emotionally and mentally exhausting her. She feels that once her head hits the pillow, she'd be off to dreamland in 30 seconds. That is if nothing around the room stimulates her senses. Then, Jennie murmured something about how she's cold which was weird because it was an unusually warm spring night according to weather.com and Rosie's hypothalamus.   

"I could get you an extra blanket, or a thicker shirt if you want?" She said as she was already halfway up from the bed. She felt a a soft hand tug her back under the covers.

"Mhmm, no, don't leave. Just lay down again." Jennie with her eyes already closed, scoots over and places her leg in between Rosie's. She fits her head under the blonde's chin like the final piece to a puzzle.

Rosie's trying to gauge if Jennie was about to run a fever because she was a human furnace when their bodies made contact. One would think her skin would be somewhat shivery of she really was feeling arctic. Or, another explanation would be that Rosie just felt as such because she could feel her heart beat like it was going to jump out of her sleep shirt. 

Her consciousness eventually was fully overtaken by her exhaustion, but not before she heard Jennie drowsily murmur into her neck that she loves her. Definitely, very much so, quintessentially as a friend. Rosie assured herself. She can't afford to be killed by hope anymore.

--

Jennie was still soundly asleep when her phone alarm blared. The brunette was partially lain on top of her, she could feel the soft breaths hit her cheek. It took Herculean effort to not just call in sick to work, but she knew she had patients waiting for her. She hesitantly pried her best friend's limbs from her body, and rolled over to shut her alarm off.

As she got up from bed, she couldn't help but gaze at how soft Jennie looked, snugly tucked into the pillow she was holding in place of her. The morning light sneaking in the room, making the sight before her look ethereal. Rosie smiled to herself, and thought just how lucky the man who would hold the privilege to wake up to this everyday. She sighed and shook her head. She needed to prepare for her workday ahead.  

She left a note on her bedside table for Jennie, letting her know that she's left for the hospital, and that there's a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich waiting for her on the breakfast counter. Oh, and an iced americano in the fridge. Rosie usually didn't take anything but coffee for breakfast prior to heading out, but sleepovers with her lovie always put her in a pick-me-up mood. So before she started her commute, she took a detour to the small brunch cafe at the end of her block to gather the goods for both of them. Long story short, she arrived late to work with an iced latte she swirled every thirty seconds.

--

Her light morning mood almost allowed her to forget the series of events that happened last night. Almost. They crept up on her as she was writing progress reports on her laptop at the ward's nurse station. From intending to hook up with Lisa all the way to Jen closing all the possible gaps between their bodies as they slept. 

She wanted to rationalize everything into a narrative that fits her pre-conceived expectations and assumptions. 

Her educated theories were the following: 

1. She was going to sleep with Lisa because she was simply . 
2. Jennie was just being extra intimate because she was tipsy. 

It's the safe way to ponder about these things. 

However, as a kin of science, she also had to mentally list down otherworldly reasons for the encounters like how she genuinely liked Lisa within a matter of hours, or how Jennie clinging to her last night felt different than all the other times they've cuddled in bed. Those are thoughts that only lead to despair.

Her phone pinged, causing her to groan. This is about to be her third consult of the day, and it's not even noon. But, she was delightfully surprised when it's not the emergency room asking her to check on another admission.

(11:26) Lisa 😳: You better not be thinking about ghosting me 😤 hope you're having a good day tho 😘

She giggled to herself upon reading the girl's message. She won't admit it out loud, but she was somewhat looking forward to Lisa's promise that she'd reach out again today.

(11:27) Roseanne: I was actually just about to change my number today. There's this girl I think is obsessed with me after just one date 🙄

(11:27) Lisa 😳: Ohh... you're right about that assumption, I can tell you that much 😉

(11:27) Lisa 😳: Hahaha! How's your day so far?

It was a good thing there was no one within her immediate radius because she would rather not be perceived right now when she's becoming as red as a Roma tomato.

(11:28) Roseanne: Just another eventful day in the hospital 🙃 hahaha how's yours?

(11:28) Lisa 😳: An eventful day in the hospital as a layman sounds so exciting yk lol I'm sure saving lives is much more fulfilling than sitting through endless morning meetings about a new tagline for some laundry detergent 🤔

(11:28) Lisa 😳: Anywayyy... when do you plan on asking me for a second date? 🤨🤨🤨 

At this point, she knows even the tips of her ears are running warm. It has really been years since she's felt the exhilaration of flirting with beyond platonic potential. However, she had to get down to brass tax, and weigh how she'd ask Lisa to go on Jennie's _br

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter