Chapter I: A Typically (But Not Completely) Typical Day

I’d Forget About You If You Asked
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"One date, Roseanne, just one date." Jisoo pleaded all while shoving her phone into the other girl's face. "Look at her, she's like the hottest girl I've ever met." 

Roseanne raised her eyebrows at what her friend proclaimed; the pregnant pause getting rounder.

"Hottest girl I've ever encountered aside from my girlfriend, of course." Jisoo scoffed as if she didn't just give the blonde ammunition for future blackmail. "Also, don't change the topic. Since you'll never tell Jennie how you feel in this lifetime, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, it's time to start thinking about maybe moving on."

Roseanne can't help but pout at the truth. "If I had a choice--trust me--I wouldn't be in this cluster cliche." She tried to say nonchalantly. 

"Let's pretend I actually believe that when just a month ago you said, and I quote, 'Loving Jennie even from a distance is privilege enough.'"

"Oh, you, Chu. How would you have even remembered that? You were passed out in the Lyft back home." Roseanne tried to challenge her even though they both knew the former was right. The blonde has always believed that her best days were those she spent with Jennie.

"Can you please stop digressing? Just go on this date for me, please." Jisoo scooted closer to her, and gave her best puppy dog look.

"Ugh, you know what? Fine, I'll go. Just stop doing that thing with your eyes, you're not 12." Roseanne tried to act annoyed, but in reality, she was very grateful about how Jisoo was wiling to help her with this hopeless predicament. Jennie pretty much had a boyfriend every year of her life since they met in college. Mostly douchebags, but some were genuinely likable; none of them still passed Roseanne's standards for Jennie though. Maybe the last part came with its biases.

"Great! I'll give you her number, and you can text her yourself. You know, so it seems like you weren't forced into this, you ungrateful ." Jisoo smiled, and hugged her tight. "I really have a good feeling about this, Roseanne," Chu uttered earnestly. "By the end, hopefully you'll change your tune about this setup," she added.

"Yeah, hopefully," the other sighed, almost persuading herself to even partially believe what she's saying.

--

It was late afternoon after she finished her OPD shift when she got a text from the one person she'd drop everything for.

(16:40) Ninibear: Any dinner plans, Rosieposie?

Roseanne really wanted to at least take 2 minutes to reply, for self-respect's sake.

(16:40) Rosieposie: What are you in the mood for?

"You ing simp," she snarked silently to herself.

(16:43) Ninibear: Kai and I were supposed to go to this new Peruvian-Japanese place in Greenwich tonight, but he bailed on me. Do you wanna just try that out? [Link]

Roseanne would be pissed at herself if she had to bail on Jennie without having posted at least a day's notice. She didn't like how sullen Jennie would get when one of her plans would fall through. She'd feel a pinch under her ribs just at the thought.

"Hope you see a rat the size of a cat today, Kai," she thought to herself, knowing how he was deathly afraid of rodents. How in the world are they compatible, Roseanne would fumble with the thought quite a lot. Jennie's favorite animal is literally an oversized rodent, and her pet name for Roseanne was a miniature one. She'd brainstorm on these questions during the lulls of her day, despite knowing that all she wanted was to be the only compatible person for Jennie.

(16:44) Rosieposie: Place seems good, so I'm down. Where are you coming from? You want me to pick you up? 

(16:47) Ninibear: No need, I'm actually in the area. See you there 6-ish? Love you! 😘

(16:47) Rosieposie: For sure. Love you, too! 💕

Roseanne internally cursed herself for feeling a twinge of joy at Jennie's words, fully knowing that the brunette always means it platonically. 

As she packed up and tidied the small clinic space, she heard her phone ping again.

(16:55) Chu: I ran into the future of love your life just now. She seemed excited to meet you.

(16:59) Roseanne: Didn't you say she's new to the city? Maybe she's just excited to make a new friend. 🙄

(17:03) Chu: Roseanne, you sweet gentle child, I'm her designated new friend. You're the new beau. 😏

(17:09) Roseanne: Yeah, whatever. Just so you know, if this girl is a weirdo, you're paying for my coffee everyday for a month.

(17:12) Chu: You've got yourself a deal!

As Roseanne pocketed her phone, she tried not to let the thought of the blind date take over her thoughts as she walked to her destination.

--

Roseanne was fiddling with her phone when she saw Jennie walk towards their table. All polished sunshine with her boyfriend jeans, a chic auburn top, and the leather jacket that Roseanne lent her a few years ago, and just never asked for back. A leather jacket that used to belong to her, she reminds herself. She walks like she owns the place with everyone turning around for a quick glance or a double-take for some. To cut it short, every time Jennie comes into view, Roseanne would have a -eating grin on ever since they have known each other.

"Jen, over here!" Roseanne mentally facepalmed as she realized she was visibly very much

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter