Ch. 1

Comfortable Silence || MiChaeng
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Patiently waiting for her mother to finish the conversation between her and a doctor, a young lady sat at a hospital bed. She swung her left leg in a slow pace while the other remained still, out of boredom while listening to the two adults who stood in front of her talk. Her ears perked at the words staying and weeks.

 

This caused the young lady to scowl, interrupting the two. "It's just a broken bone, not like my leg is about to be amputated." She hopped off the hospital bed with a bit of struggle and started to bounce with one leg while the other was a few centimeters off the ground.

 

"See? Nothing serious," she beamed and continued to hop in one leg, only for her to lose balance due to the heavy weight of the cast and plop right back on the hospital bed, face first.

 

"Son Chaeyoung!" Her mother yelled. Thankfully they were transported into a much more private room rather than being clumped with other patients in a crowded ward so that saves Chaeyoung from embarrassment for being yelled at. Her mother resumed her conversation with the doctor until every information needed to be said was said and so, the doctor left.

 

The woman who seemed to be around in her late 30s had her hands on her hips, ready to chastise the younger who sat in a more proper position with the help of a nurse who watched the scene unfold, amused. "You are not leaving this hospital until your leg is healed, whether it be minor or major." Whatever her mother says, her decision is final.

 

Chaeyoung groaned. Sure, she understands the strictness and protectiveness of her parents towards her, but it's just a broken bone for christ's sake! She hates staying in one place and even worse, that place being the hospital room she's assigned in. 

 

With her index and thumb caressing her chin in a repeated motion, she thought of an excuse to get herself out of this place. "But what about my studies?" She knows how much her parents value her education and she is not about to miss possibly weeks of school just because of her injury.

 

"Don't worry, I already asked your friend to help you out with missing school work and such," her mother answered. 

 

Chaeyoung mentally cursed herself for having friends that at this moment, she wished she was a loner. No offense to her friends, she loves the girls, but she does not love the idea of staying at the hospital.

 

"Ugh fine mom, you win," she sighed in defeat and continued to sulk while the nurse chuckled.

 

Her mother walked closer to Chaeyoung and pecked her forehead tenderly. "Be a good girl and take care, okay? I have to go back to work now," she smiled softly. "Nurse Kim? Please take good care of my daughter," with that, she bid her daughter goodbye and exited the room.

 

"Hi, I'm your private nurse for the meantime,"  Nurse Kim announced and gave Chaeyoung a soft smile they were trained to do towards their patients. 

 

Even going as far as hiring a private nurse? Unbelievable, Chaeyoung thought to herself. She's not ungrateful or anything, but this is going beyond the norms. Her mother is treating her like a child with no arms for crutches, what the hell!

 

Chaeyoung nodded politely and sunk under the hospital sheets that weren't as comfortable as her own. She busied herself with her phone, opting to text her bestfriend but stopped herself as the girl was still in class.

 

"Well then," her nurse spoke up, placing some sort of device on top of the drawer next to her bed, "press the button if you need me. I'm sure you'd appreciate some alone time."

 

After that, she heard the door close with a soft click. She sat herself up and sighed deeper, turning her head towards the window that showed the beautiful sky of Seoul. It hasn't been an hour yet she was bored already and her body is itching for a walk or something active to do.

 

The younger glanced around her room and spotted a wheelchair sitting on the corner, parallel from her. She thought about it for awhile, contemplating whether to walk towards it and roam around or just stay in her place. You'd probably

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter