Chapter Eight

To Catch A Dream

 

Chapter Eight

This is not how I expected this day to finish.

 

Everything must come to an end. Mina and Sana's summer vacation should be included. It certainly saddens each of them when they grasp there is just a week remaining. And I'm confident Dahyun is the most unhappy about it. Every night, she complains to Sana, telling her that she won't have anything else to hug to sleep. Sana, on the other hand, will tell her she has so many pillows, but Dahyun will shake her head and remark, "I got rid of them all because I got you," which Sana will find charming. And thus, will she pinch the younger's cheeks before kissing her on the forehead.

Dahyun picked up Sana from her house today because she wanted to accompany the girl to the shop. While walking, they both reminisced about the day they first met. Sana would tell the other how surprised she was by Dahyun's previous gestures. She wouldn't deny that it made a favorable impression on the other.

"It's as if you're telling me, you started having feelings right then," Dahyun compelled, squinting her eyes. If there's one thing that hasn't changed since then, it's this younger girl's annoying demeanor. Perhaps the way she wears the school uniform hasn't changed as well. "I won't be complaining. After all, who wouldn't like me?"

As a result, Sana rolled her eyes. "But you were so strange," she said.

"There you said it!" Dahyun sounded like she won the jackpot after hearing Sana's statement. "You said 'but' which means that if I wasn't weird..."

"Oh, stop."

"You wouldn't have second thoughts about liking me," Dahyun insisted. "Come on, Sana, we just met that time! You should've pretended to be uninterested."

"You know what?" The older one abruptly covered her ears, despite the fact that the discussion was already over. "I really cannot hear anything."

"I'm slowly believing what my brother told me about being in denial," Dahyun remarked, only watching Sana close her eyes, shake her head, and cover her ears. Dahyun took a chance because it appeared she wouldn't take it off any time soon. "I love you." That was the first time.

 

When Dahyun successfully pulled the door open, Sana stepped in front of her, both arms stretched wide. "Why?" she inquired, her face perplexed.

"Please provide a passcode."

"What do you mean passcode?" Dahyun scratched the edge of her brow. "Let me in!" she exclaimed, playfully pushing into Sana, but the girl simply chuckled.

"Passcode, please," She repeated.

"But I don't know!"

"Then you won't be able to get in!"

Dahyun sighed and looked down at her feet as if she had no choice but to leave. Sana just stood there watching her act overly dramatic and finding everything about her endearing. "Oh, wait, I know how to get in," Dahyun said thoughtfully.

Sana waited for the 'passcode,' but what she got was somewhat better than a code. It's because Dahyun grasped her waist with one hand and drew her closer. To preserve the balance, Sana's arms naturally curled around the other's neck. Perhaps keeping an eye on the balance caused her not to ponder on what might happen next.

 

Their lips had landed directly one above the other.

 

"Did that work?" Dahyun said after drawing out, leaving Sana speechless. "I guess it did," she said to herself after gently putting Sana aside. She walked in without saying anything.

"What just happened?" Sana asked herself, lifting a hand to brush her lips when she was pulled inside by a hand.

"Good morning," Dahyun said to Taehyung, who was standing behind the counter as usual. She had been dragging the still-mute Sana. "My neck hurts," she said quietly as if nothing had happened out front.

Taehyung could only shake his head after witnessing it from the inside. He chose to smile at the two rather than say anything. "I couldn't be happier," he's been telling himself within his thoughts.

 

∙ ∙ ∙

 

"How are you feeling lately?"

Dr. Minatozaki, who was arranging drinks and snacks on a tray, caught Dahyun's eye. "I'm doing wonderful," the girl said without hesitation. That is correct. She used to be restless all the time, but now it's as if the illness had vanished. "Perhaps happiness can be a cure," she suggested, eliciting a genuine smile from the doctor.

"I'm grateful you're okay, Dahyun," the woman remarked, pausing her work to pat the pale one on the head. "Great job!" she exclaimed, making Dahyun laugh. "Okay right, bring this tray over there, but be careful."

"Thank you very much, Dr. Minatozaki."

Dahyun truly enjoys it when others ask her to do something. To her, there seemed to be nothing she cannot accomplish. At times like these, she forgets about her condition, she feels normal, which is exactly what she wanted from the beginning.

 

 

Sana's lips curled into a smile as she caught sight of Dahyun approaching her and Mina. The pale one also smiled warmly at her, her eyes always looking delighted when she saw the other. "Babe..." she mouthed to Sana since she didn't want Mina to hear it.

Right after Dahyun successfully placed the tray above the table, she pushed Sana's feet back to the ground as it was on the couch. She planted a chaste kiss on the older girl's temple before sitting.

She had no idea Mina was staring at them, slightly shaking her head and grinning. The girl didn't want the two to be embarrassed, so she quickly returned her focus to the DSLR camera she was holding.

Her brows furrowed as she pressed the next button. She returned her gaze to Dahyun and Sana, who were giggling over something on the older one's phone. "It's them," Mina said quietly. She borrowed this camera from Chaeyoung because the latter needed advice on which photo to paint next. "Of course, I'll choose this one," Mina spoke as she examined it more closely, mumbling, "They're so cute."

"Mina," Sana called abruptly, pulling the other's gaze away from the photograph. "Would you like some snacks?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Maybe we should watch something," Dahyun said, receiving nods from the two in agreement.

 

 

Sana remained in her room after the movie, while Dahyun was elsewhere in the household. "What is she doing?" she asked herself, patiently waiting for the girl to return. Not long after that, someone slammed the door open, leading Sana to scream. She looked back, holding her heart above her chest, and saw the giddy Dahyun. "Are you a gangster?" she questioned.

Dahyun immediately adopted a haughty expression and crossed her arms. "Yes, I am," she answered as she approached the other. "If you don't give me a kiss, I'll..."

"What?" Sana asked, her brow furrowed.

"I'll be the one to kiss you," Dahyun eventually conceded, though she maintained the same expression on her face. "Quick!"

Sana chose to play by shaking her head. "Sorry, I'm not into bad people; I prefer cute ones," she explained, making Dahyun grimace. "Cute ones by the name of Kim Dahyun."

"Really? You're going to pick that strange person over me?" Dahyun continued the act, seeming as if she couldn't believe what the other had just said. "Fine! Then be with her!" she wailed, sulkily stomping her foot as she made her way to the door.

"Since when do gangsters whine like that?" Sana wondered as she saw Dahyun slam the door shut once more. "You'll be back in five seconds anyway," Sana assured herself before slumping onto her bed.

 

The door opened again exactly five seconds later, making Sana smile. "I knew it," she said, casting her gaze to the pale girl.

"There's something you should know," Dahyun stated as he remained on the door frame. "I am Kim Dahyun."

"Is that right? Ah, I almost didn't recognize—" then something caught her eye. "Why are your lips bleeding?" Sana queried, a troubled expression on her face.

Only then did Dahyun notice the taste on her tongue. She checked by raising her fingers above . Her heart began to pound loudly at that point. Dahyun coughed to see where it was coming from and discovered it wasn't from . "It's my gums," she said quietly to herself.

Sana was at a loss for what to do. Her feet seemed to be held captive by the ground. "Dahyun, your nose too," Sana mumbled, loud enough for the other to hear.

Dahyun panicked because there was too much blood on her palm when she held it. "Sana..." she managed to mumble before her vision blurred a second later. She took a step back, attempting to retain her poise.

It wasn't enough.

Sana was eventually able to sprint towards the girl, hastily grasping onto her shoulders before Dahyun could even collapse on her back. She has no idea how she did it, but she found a way to keep Dahyun in an embrace. Even if her shirt was stained with blood, it didn't seem to matter.

"Mom!" screamed Sana. "Mina! Help me! Help!" she yelled as she lowered herself and Dahyun onto the floor. "Help Dahyun, please," she cried softly.

Dr. Minatozaki and Mina dashed in, concerned about what had transpired. The doctor did have a clue, but she refused to believe it. Dahyun has just informed her that she is feeling much better. "No," the woman said quietly, hoping none of this was real.

"Mom! Help her!" Sana yelled out frantically, holding one side of Dahyun's face. "How come you're just standing there?! Do something!"

"Mina, call an ambulance," Dr. Minatozaki instructed, her voice shaking.

 

 

While Dahyun is getting settled into her hospital bed, Sana is attempting to convince the nurses who have told her she cannot enter. "Move away, please! My mother is a doctor; let me in!" she pleaded, tears streaming down her face.

Mina tried to reach out to her friend, "Sana," but the girl was too strong. And so soon she found herself crying as well.

"It's policy, ma'am. You can't go inside," one of the nurses explained calmly.

But the other one sensed Sana's heart already shattering so he moved aside. The girl seized the opportunity to enter. "Just let her."

"Are you insane?"

"I've been there before, and you're lucky if you haven't," he replied, drawing the other to shake his head in utter disbelief.

 

 

"Dahyun," Sana whispered, hastily grabbing the unconscious girl's hand. For some reason, it felt like her entire world was collapsing in front of her eyes. She couldn't imagine she'd ever reach this point.

"Sana, step back," Dr. Minatozaki replied, gently trying to move her daughter away.

The girl didn't even move an inch. "What's going on, mom?" she demanded, refusing to let go.

"Please," the older woman urged forcefully before placing her hands over Sana's shoulders. "Please move aside for a moment," she said.

"Tell me," Sana pleaded.

"Sana—"

"Tell me!" she exclaimed, startling the older lady.

Dr. Minatozaki appeared to have no choice but to inform Sana. She exhaled heavily, her gaze falling to her feet. "Dahyun was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia two years ago," she explained, only prompting Sana's brows to furrow.

"What does that even mean?"

"It's a type of cancer in the blood and bone marrow," Sana's soul got crushed just by hearing that. "It was too late when we found out about it. And this type of condition worsens drastically if not treated right away."

Sana's voice became weaker, and her entire body went numb. "Does that mean she's going to die?" she questioned, all the while being met with a blank stare. And that stare seemed to indicate a yes. "And you knew about it; why didn't you tell me?"

"I have no right to do that," Dr. Minatozaki replied. "It must be kept if Dahyun chooses to keep it."

"That's nonsense."

"There's no other option right now, Sana, but to understand."

Sana burst into tears, her knees bending, and her face hidden behind her hands. "You're the one who doesn't get it!" she exclaimed. "Dahyun told me she cares for me."

"Yes, she does."

"Everyone who tells me they care has intentions of leaving soon anyway, and that's not how it should be!" She sobbed more, panting for air, but it's simply too difficult to breathe.

"Sana, I'm sorry," her mother could only say as she lowered herself to assist Sana to stand up. But the girl swept her hand away harshly. Sana stood up and hurriedly walked out of the room without saying anything.

As she walked out the door, she noticed Mina sitting quietly in her seat. She basically didn't have time to talk to the girl since she couldn't even get a handle on herself. "Sana," Mina rose up, but when her friend passed by, she sighed, debating whether or not to follow Sana around.

 

Sana ran into Taehyung and both of his parents as she was leaving. When the man noticed her, he grabbed Sana's wrist. Once he saw the look in the girl's eyes, his grip instinctively loosened. It was all resentment.

"Taehyung, hurry!" his father suddenly exclaimed, forcing him to let go of the girl.

 

 

The door suddenly and without warning opened while Taehyung, his mother, and father were patiently waiting outside. As they all rose, the hope in their eyes grew. "How is she?" Mr. Kim asked.

"She's resting; there's nothing else to worry about at the moment."

"Thank you, God," the other woman exclaimed, relieved. "Are we allowed to go inside and see her?"

"You certainly may."

"Hold on," Mrs. Kim murmured, her gaze now fixed on Dr. Minatozaki. "Who phoned you? How did you find out what happened to Dahyun?"

The other woman had had enough of the lies and simply stated, "She was at my house."

"What?"

"Every time she left your house, she either went to your family's shop or came to my house." Mrs. Kim's dissatisfaction was evident, and Dr. Minatozaki had no right to complain.

"Mom," Taehyung said calmly, reaching for the woman's wrist.

"How can you let that happen when you're a doctor?" Mrs. Kim asked the other woman. Her spouse had nothing to say, thus he closed his eyes in frustration. "Your priority should be Dahyun's health, but you let her wander about like that like she is doing fine."

"You should have seen how happy she was whenever she was hanging out at my house with my daughter — her friends," she admitted.

"I am her mother," Mrs. Kim stated emphatically, "and you don't get to tell me that."

"You mentioned it, Mrs. Kim. You are Dahyun's mother, and perhaps that is why I assumed that out of everyone that surrounds her, you would understand her best," Dr. Minatozaki replied, leaving the other stunned. "Let me tell you something: Dahyun doesn't have much time left; the only thing she can do right now is to keep herself happy and contented until it is time for her to go."

That was the last thing any of the three Kim’s wanted to hear. Not because they are unaware of it, but because it is a reality that they have been attempting to avoid all along.

 

 

Taehyung stayed with the doctor after Mr. and Mrs. Kim went inside. "Your daughter," he replied, his face troubled.

"Don't worry about anything else, Taehyung," the doctor added kindly as he held the man's arm warmly. "I'll try to speak to her, but for now, Dahyun is the one who needs you, and you should stay by her side."

 

 

 

Mina gently knocked on Sana's door, then turned the knob and opened it. She noticed her friend, who was laying down by her right arm, facing the opposite side of the room. "Sana?" Mina asked as she approached the other. She sat down lightly on the other side of the bed. "All I want you to know is that I'm here."

This prompted Sana to cry once more. "Hey," Mina said, quickly pressing her palm across her friend's arm to soothe her. "I'm sorry for what happened," she apologized.

"Why are people so unfair?" Sana questioned, her voice trembling as she sobbed. "Do I deserve to be lied to? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"I can assure you, Sana, you don't deserve that."

"Do you know about it as well?" Sana inquired, not intending to face her friend. "I'd be really upset if you tell me you do."

Mina quickly shook her head, despite the fact that the other couldn't see it. "I didn't know. I was stunned. It didn't..." she hesitated, tilting her head, recalling the scene before her eyes earlier. "She didn't appear that way, and Dahyun seemed to be alright."

"She kept it from me, Mina," Sana grumbled. "Taehyung did, so did mom."

"I'm not sure if I should tell you this right now, but everything has a purpose, and I believe they all had their reasons."

"Are those reasons enough to fool me?"

Mina exhaled deeply as she shook her head. "I'll ask you a question..."

"Did your feelings for Dahyun change after you discovered the truth about her?"

It is difficult to accept, but it is even more difficult for Sana to lie. "No," she replied.

"And is this really how you want to conclude the night?"

"No, Mina. This not how I expected this day to finish."

Mina smiled slightly as a result of this. If anyone could tell us everything we needed to know about Sana, it would be her. She knew everything there was to know about her friend. "Look," she said, ordering the young lady to roll over and face her. "Look at me." And soon after, Sana is finally facing her. "I'm not going to force you to do something right now. But I need you to understand that there will come a time when you have to forgive Dahyun." Mina looked right through her friend's glum expression. "Just don't wait until it's too late."

Mina's comments were the only thing that made sense to Sana tonight.

 

 

 

Dahyun eventually regained consciousness. The first question she asked herself in her thoughts was, "what happened?" Though, it didn't take her long to recall what had taken place.

"Why are your lips bleeding?" 

"Dahyun, your nose too."

"Sana," she said quietly, but the people inside the room couldn't hear her. She sat up quickly, attempting to remove everything that was tied to her body, including the nasal cannula.

"Hey," Taehyung finally realized, and he drew Dahyun to a stop. "What are you doing? You can't leave," he said calmly.

Dahyun didn't have time to argue about it, so she requested something else. "Can I have my phone?" She asks, her eyes filled with concern. "Please?"

Taehyung then turned his attention to his mother, who is still perplexed by her experience with the doctor. "Mom, please hand Dahyun's phone over," he said. The woman sighed, as she had no choice but to do so.

But Taehyung reminded the girl before letting go of the device, "This may not be the best time to talk to her."

Dahyun refused to listen to him out, instead of dialing Sana's phone number. And for a little moment, she wished she had listened. Accepting it was too painful.

"The person you are trying to call is unavailable right now. Please try again later."

This can only imply one thing. Sana had blocked her phone number.

 

Dahyun had no choice but to let things go in that manner. If she couldn't leave the hospital right now, she's not sure if she'd still be able to explain to Sana. Another thing is that she isn't sure if the girl still wants to hear it.

"What did Dr. Minatozaki say?" she inquired of Taehyung, who was unable to respond immediately. Everything is simply too difficult for him right now. "Am I on the verge of death?"

Taehyung answered, "No, Dahyun."

"Why not?" she wondered, tears welling up in her eyes. "Why didn't I just die?" she whispered to herself this time, but the others could hear. "I should've just..." Dahyun sobbed, then smacked her temples with both fists. "Die."

"Dahyun, stop," Taehyung had to embrace his younger sister in order for her to stop beating herself. "You should not be doing this."

"Let me go!" she yelled, prompting Mr. and Mrs. Kim to get to their feet and try to calm their daughter down. "None of you know what it's like to be sick; none of you understand me, and none of you actually like me this way!" Dahyun was already bursting out in anger and pain. Simply put, the world is too harsh on her. "Just let me die," she said quietly.

Taehyung couldn't take it any longer, so he grabbed Dahyun by both shoulders and shook her, hoping she'd listen. "You can't say that Dahyun," he stated emphatically.

"You can only ask me that because you aren't me."

 

"You're right. I'm not you," Taehyung replied, gritting his teeth and pushing back tears, "but if all of this is tough for you, it's just the same to all of us — to me." He breathed out deeply, seeking to control himself. "Dahyun, if you don't love yourself, then you should know that I do! And I always will. So, ing stop doing this and live for me."

Dahyun was rendered speechless, just allowing her tears to fall. "Because you'll only die once, but I'll die every day," Taehyung whispered.