Chapter Two

To Catch A Dream

 

Chapter Two

Yes, you are weird.

 

Dahyun sat on her bed, contemplating, still wearing the same school uniform — just without the jacket — and with her feet dangling. She needed to think of anything, but her mind kept turning blank after just this one scenario. And it's exasperating. That phony kiss shouldn't be playing over and over in her thoughts.

 

 

Dahyun let out a sigh before collapsing on the bed's surface. She stayed there staring at the ceiling for a moment. "It should be nothing," she reminded herself before putting her fingers to her lips. "She had her thumb in between." With a deep sigh, she questioned, "Why do I feel her lips on mine even if it didn't happen?" She then took a pillow and pressed it above her face. She let out a low scream.

A tap on the door nearly jolted her out of bed. Dahyun hasn't changed her clothes, and if any of her parents see her this way, she's screwed. She hurriedly positioned herself right on the bed, the blanket tightly concealing her body.

 

"Dahyun? Are you awake?" asks a voice from the other side of the door. It's her mother, who is most likely giving her some food. Dahyun has a good idea of what's going to happen next. The older lady would talk to her about keeping her hope alive — all those faiths and trust things. She didn't want to hear it again, so she closed her eyes and pretended to sleep.

When the lady saw Dahyun resting, she left the door open and stepped over with a timid smile on her face. She placed a plate of food on the bedside table before approaching her daughter and touching the side of her face.

Dahyun waited for the woman to say something, but all she got was a quick peck on the cheek. Her heart broke for some reason. She never considered how others viewed her.

 

She opened her eyes when she heard a click on the door, indicating that her mother had left the room. "I'm sorry," she said quietly, knowing the other wouldn't hear her.

Dahyun forced herself up, and as she sat, the door opened again, causing her to grimace and gasp. "Can't you knock?" she protested calmly, as her brother gave her a dubious look. "What?" she said, raising an eyebrow.

"Into kissing gorgeous females now, huh?" Taehyung had to seal the door before saying.

" off," Dahyun murmured, while her cheeks flushed as she remembered the scenario again. "She's insane."

"Perhaps, but you should be thankful," Taehyung replied. "She rescued your , as well as your hopeless romantic . At least someone was willing to kiss you."

"I'm not even interested in romance!"

"I suppose you are now."

"What...?"

"Something has changed in your eyes; they—have softened," Taehyung observed.

"You've got to be kidding," Dahyun could only remark. She is well aware that her brother enjoys seeing her become irritated. "Feel free to leave my room."

"She'll be lingering around the shop."

"I don't care. Get out!"

 

 

A new day had arrived. And it was the same old routine: Sana would get out of bed, take a quick shower, and then hear either her best friend Mina or her mother shout, "Breakfast is ready!" 

Bubbles are all over her face, even above . As a result, when she opened it, she was able to taste some of the soap. "Bleh—" she exclaimed, disgusted. She managed to yell back to them after spitting out a few, "Yeah, I'm almost done!" Oh well, her mother is a bit paranoid. If Sana didn't respond within a minute, the woman would come up and knock on her door ten times per second, convinced that something had happened to her.

When she was finally choosing clothes, she remembered what the milk tea shop owner, Taehyung, had told her about the uniform. She was told to wear any white collared shirt and light-colored, preferably brown, pants as it would take about a week to get her a real one.

 

 

"Hey, honey," Sana's mother said as she took the final step down the stairs. "What... are you wearing? Are you going somewhere?" inquired the woman. She had an emergency appointment to attend to before her daughter could return home. Sana didn't see her at all yesterday because of this. She did, however, eat the plain cheese pizza her mother had bought for dinner the night before.

"Oh, yeah. I haven't told you yet," Sana said sheepishly, a hesitant grin on her face. No, she isn't intimidated by her mother. It's only because the woman urged her to do nice things like go for a walk along the beach or ride a bike near the mountain — all the mind-clearing and invigorating activities.

Mina giggled as she saw Sana go blank after that. She seemed to have been thinking of something beyond her reach. "She recently got employed at the milk tea cafe three blocks away," she said, eliciting merely a nod from Sana.

"You came here for vacation to... work?" her mother said, her brow pinched in concern. "I mean, if you insist," she said softly, caressing her daughter's shoulder and lightly grasping it. "I'm sorry, my love; I have no idea what kinds of things you like to do," the woman admitted frankly. "With your father, in the city."

Sana silently gazed at the woman until Mina coughed, signaling that she should say something to make her mother feel better. "Uhm," Sana began before taking a deep breath in and out. "I also like what you suggested," she said. "I... I'm actually going for a walk down the beach after work."

"Are you serious? You should bring Mina with you."

"Yeah, I'm bringing her," Sana remarked, smiling at Mina, who had been pulled to something she had no clue about.

"What time are we doing it again?" Mina quipped, leading the other girl to smirk.

 

∙ ∙ ∙

 

Sana scrubbed one of the tables thoroughly with about an hour remaining for work hours, not leaving it until it was shiny enough. "Didn't I do a fantastic job?" she asked herself, even nodding her head in answer. Right then, she heard the bell ring. This signifies that a new customer has arrived. Mina came a bit too early.

"You're already here, but I need to work till four," Sana said to her buddy who was walking towards her. Mina snatched the chair off the table Sana had just cleaned spotless. "Oh, you're here to place an order," she grinned.

"Yeah," Mina said gently. "I'd want to watch how my dearest partner here serves her guests."

"Well, you should actually go in line and put your order," Sana stated, motioning to the counter. However, there is no such thing as a line. This is due to the fact that there aren't many people around at this hour. Except for this study group, I guess. Taehyung is on the verge of thinking that they would want to live here because they haven't missed a day. "When everything is finished, I'll come to you with your meal or drink, or both," she informed Mina, who bobbed her head. "All right then, miss," she jested.

 

"Here's your strawberry fruit tea and a club sandwich," Sana said, setting the tray on the table. She laid the dish in front of her friend, along with the glass. "If there's anything else I can do," she even said.

"You're quite good at this," Mina said, causing Sana to roll her eyes. "I honestly mean it!"

"Yeah?" hummed Sana. "I've always felt architecture was a terrible idea," she said.

"You are excellent in whatever you do."

"That's not true," Sana said instantly, shaking her head.

"Yes, it is!"

 

And then the conversation comes to an end. It's because the bell rang again, but the person who came in wasn't someone Sana expected to see. Again.

"Hey, Dahyun," Taehyung, who was standing by the counter, said pleasantly.

The sour expression on Sana's face drew Mina's attention. Even though there was no context for her to grasp, she could sense something had happened.

"Who is that pale girl?" she attempted to ask her friend, but she was dismissed. "How come she's dressed in a school uniform?"

"How would I know?" Sana said, her voice faint and hardly audible.

"So, you don't know her?" Mina continued to say, disbelieving Sana's expression.

"No."

 

"Sana is right there," Taehyung said abruptly, motioning to the girl and her companion. His utterance sounded as though he was trying to irritate his younger sister. "Go say hello," he said, wriggling his brows.

Dahyun, having finally spotted the girl, instantly glanced away and froze. "What?" Taehyung asked of his sister.

"What, what?" Dahyun said again, little huskily. "Why is she here?" she murmured, only to realize on second glance that she was dressed in the same color as Taehyung's shop uniform. "This isn't what I'm thinking, is it?"

"It is."

"What!" she exclaimed in hushed tones. "Does she work here now?"

"Yeah."

"Why didn't you tell me?" Dahyun complained, only to be met with a snicker from Taehyung. "Don't give me a smile."

"I told you last night, she's going to be hanging around the shop more, and from what I remember, you said you didn't care," Taehyung clarified.

"Okay," Dahyun grunted in frustration before hurriedly turning away.

"Where are you going?"

"Somewhere that isn't here."

Taehyung could only start laughing, clearly enjoying seeing his sister in this manner. It is an unusual sight. "Bring this to table four before you go," he instructed.

"Fine," Dahyun murmured before turning around and accepting the tray and acting up like a misbehaving child.

 

"So, you do know her," Mina said, curling her brows.

Sana eventually confessed, "Yeah. But I don't — know — know who she is."

"Whatever you say."

 

Sana frowned when she noticed Dahyun leaving the shop just minutes after arriving. "I knew it would be this awkward," she said as she the top of her hair.

Mina, on the other hand, kept her gaze fixed on Dahyun. Since she sat on the bench in front of the store quietly. The pale girl appeared to have nowhere else to go but here. "Does she really want to stay outside? In the sun?" she asked Sana, who shrugged.

 

"Foolish brat," Taehyung muttered before smirking as he noticed Dahyun seated outside.

 

"Ah, I'll get some fresh air," Sana mumbled as she swiftly exited the place, not even looking back at Mina. Of course, her friend understood it wasn't about the air.

"Well, she does make friends quickly," Mina could only think to herself.

 

When Dahyun realized it was Sana who had walked out the door, she hurriedly adjusted her seat. She feigned to kick little stones beneath the bench in the hopes that the other wouldn't talk to her.

"You know there are a lot of empty chairs inside," Sana replied, raising her arms forward. She, like the other girl, is embarrassed to voice even a single word.

"I enjoy it here," Dahyun almost whispered, but the other could hear her. "I love the sun," she continued.

Sana snickered as she considered things. "I recall what you told me…” She began. "I detest being in the sun, you know, it hurts my skin." And there, Dahyun giggled, despite her efforts to suppress her smile.

"Things do change."

"Sure," Sana agreed. "You know what?" she said, shifting her glance to Dahyun, who was still avoiding her gaze. "I can't believe I'm going to apologize for saving you yesterday, but I suppose I am... sorry"

"That's an excellent example of apologizing," Dahyun observed. "...half-heartedly," she said, chuckling.

"Come on," Sana said as she approached the other, changing the mood. She sat next to Dahyun, her face to the girl. "We didn't actually kiss, so I'd appreciate it if you stopped acting upset about it," she said before puckering her lips and making puppy eyes. "How about we fix this?"

Dahyun sighed since she didn't know what more to do to resist Sana. "Is it unusual that I act out like this?" she said, causing the other to raise her eyebrows in perplexity. "Does it seem pretty weird?"

"No, it's not weird," Sana eventually responded. "Yes, you are weird."

"I thought so, too," Dahyun said with a smile.

"So, we are good?"

"Hmm," murmured Dahyun. "Only if you swear not to come up with a plan to kiss me again," she joked, causing the other to shake her head. "I'm just kidding."

"I'll pretend I'm not aware of the real reason you're upset."

"What?" Dahyun said, her eyebrows strained.

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

Sana rose to her feet, a provocative smirk on her face. "You hope I took off the thumb in between," she teased before hurrying inside.

"Hey! That's not—" Dahyun couldn't help but groan in disbelief.

The door suddenly and unexpectedly reopened, revealing just Sana's peeping head. "Would you want to join us after work? I'm going for a walk with a friend," she added.

"No," Dahyun simply responded.

"Okay."

 

 

 

 

She has no explanation for why she is suddenly walking with Sana and her, yet unknown, friend. Of course, she was aware of these eyes on her, but this was nothing unexpected. Every new person's initial impression of her would be weird. However, Dahyun welcomes it.

"Uhm, why are you wearing—" Mina was instantly shushed by Sana, prompting Dahyun to raise her eyebrows in concern. "Why?" asked the new girl.

"No, strange questions," Sana hissed. She knows in the back of her mind that the pale girl almost missed the point entirely when she was the one who asked about it.

"Oh, alright, sorry," Mina said, her cheeks flushed with embarrassment. "Dahyun, have you eaten?" she wondered aloud instead.

"I had pizza for lunch," the girl said quickly and succinctly.

"I'm betting you enjoy Hawaiian pizza as much as I do," Mina replied.

"I'm more of a regular—simple cheese pizza person," Dahyun hummed, causing Sana, who had the same taste like her, to chuckle. "What's funny?"

Mina narrowed her eyes before falling behind for a moment and catching up to walk alongside Dahyun. The latter is now sandwiched between the two friends. "Perhaps she believes it's a soulmate thing," Mina murmured as she slung one arm around Dahyun's.

"Wait, what?"

"She likes pizza prepared to your taste as well."

 

∙ ∙ ∙

 

"This is an excellent place for dinner," Dahyun commented as she sat across from the two. It wasn't until now that she realized these ladies were indeed foreigners. "You're not from around here."

"Yeah, we're city people," Sana said.

"I'm talking about from this nation."

"Well, we are Japanese, after all."

"Mhmm," Mina agreed with a hum.

"But I was born here, and my parents met here," Sana explained, prompting Dahyun to only smile and nod. "However, I only met Mina at college; she is an exchange student from Japan," she noted.

"I see," Dahyun could only reply. "For a brief moment, I mistook you for sisters; you two are really close."

"We're still sisters," Mina said, laughing. "I'll be moving in with her after graduation because I live in a dorm," she stated. "Dormitory at a university."

"Cool. It's great you've found a family here."

"Yeah, grateful I did."

 

 

It was perfect timing that the server had appeared because they couldn't think of anything else to speak about. "Here are your fried chicken, cold noodles, and," the man said as he waited for someone with a tray to arrive. "Beer," he said finally as another guy placed the beverages on the table.

"Uh, can you drink?" Sana questioned; her face filled with skepticism. "Your brother told me you're just nineteen."

"That's of legal drinking age," Mina remarked.

"I know," Sana said, turning her attention from Mina to Dahyun. "Even so, I don't want her heading back home dizzy; she may not be used to drinking."

"I'll be fine," Dahyun said. She's just strutting her stuff. That should be obvious. "I'll also pay for these," she continued.

"You don't have to," muttered Sana.

"Aren't you two my guests? I should offer you some hospitality," Dahyun grinned before winking. As a result, Sana hastily averted her gaze. This youngster is undeniably attractive. "I'll cover the cost."

Mina could only remark, "Cute. Of course, you pay."

"Mina," Sana chastised.

"She won't back down!"

With a deep grunt, Sana owned up defeat. "Fine!" she exclaimed.

"I've got your back," Mina assured Dahyun, who grinned proudly. They both laughed as they glanced at Sana, who rolled her eyes and shook her head in bewilderment. "By the way, Dahyun..."

"Yeah?"

"Have you always lived here?" Mina said, which piqued Sana's attention. She's been meaning to find out as well.

Dahyun pursed her lips for a moment before speaking. "No, I lived with my grandparents while I was in grade school, in another province," she explained, continuing to share because the two didn't say anything. "Then, in high school, I moved here, and those were, without a doubt, the happiest years of my life so far; my friends are—they are the best."

Sana and Mina could sense Dahyun's warmth as she spoke those words. It seemed as if the girl was sincere about it. "Did you attend the same college?" Sana asked, intrigued.

But something didn't feel right when the pale girl smiled and said, "Yes. Of course." She couldn't figure out why she sensed heartbreak in those eyes. "Shall we eat?"

"Of course, we should."