Four

SILAKBO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I ran after Xiaoting. She rarely cries. I feel worried I've said something to hurt her. 

"Xiaoting!" I shouted when I saw her back. I jogged a little more to check on her.

"Why did you run?" I asked, cupping her face to wipe her tears away. She wouldn't look at me. "Did I do something?" she shook her head. Her lower lip and chin moved a little—a habit of hers when she’s worried or upset about something. Most of the time, the latter is the reason. 

"Fling problems?" she nodded her head. "Oh God and here I am telling you my crush issues," another set of tears slid on her cheeks. I wiped them and kissed her tears away. "I'm sorry, I didn't know," then I pulled her into a hug. She was gripping tightly and somehow, I felt the pang on her chest. 

"I love you Xiaoxiao," I kissed her cheek to comfort her.

"You're the only person who is allowed to call me Xiaoxiao," she mumbled on my shoulder. 

"I know, I'd kick someone who will call you that," this made Xiaoting giggle.

"I love you too," she reciprocated. I caressed her back to calm her down.

Xiaoting is the type who doesn’t circle around her despair. She moves on fast, sometimes it worries me that her negative emotions remain in her heart. I wanted her to let it out, shout at me or cry but she wouldn’t. So after 5 minutes had passed, her usual self came back in.

“I’m hungry,” she mumbled. 

We decided to eat on the rooftop. It was in our sophomore year when we tried to unlock the door by inserting our ID cards. Back then, Xiaoting first tried hers then she told me she's worried her ID card might break apart so I gave her mine too. Just like that, we got to this place all by ourselves. 

Today it's colder than we expected. Luckily, my mom cooked soup for us to cooldown. The place is serene, some far away background noise can be heard but other than that, Xiaoting and I are enjoying each other's company. 

"I'm sorry I'm missing out on you these days," Xiaoting started, making me laugh. She never does this.

"What are you talking about?" I asked back, smiling.

"Just…" she stared at me. "I feel like I'm neglecting you," she explained. I'm confused.

"I'm enjoying my time with Cai Bing. You're enjoying your time with Yurina. I think that's fine," I pointed out. Xiaoting broke her gaze, she seemed to be dejected by what I said. "I'm sorry, I forgot you're having problems with her," I put my spoon down, holding her hand instead.

"It's not like that," she murmured. "Are you sure with Cai Bing?" 

"Why?" I can't help but to ask.

"Just…" she began trailing off again. "I don't want you to get hurt," she reasoned out. I raised my brows.

"Are you saying she's a bad person?" Because I'd believe her if she says so.

"No, no," Xiaoting waved her hand, clearing off Cai Bing's name. "This is the first time you told me you like someone. I'm worried," she explained herself, her tone still serious. 

"Correction—a crush for now," I chimed in. She smiled a little. "But doesn't every relationship experience that?" I can't help but to say it out loud. "You let someone in and even with all the good things happening between the both of you, time will come until one of you will be hurt—intentionally or not." Xiaoting looked at me, this time her eyes sparkled. "And there's two options for the relationship—either for the both of you to fix it or someone decides to leave." 

"Aren't you a romanticist?" I laughed at what she said. Xiaoting comfortably laid her head on my shoulder. I removed my lunch box on my lap and moved closer to her. 

"Will you be shocked if there's a time I will be serious about someone?" she questioned me.

"Of course. I'll be happy if you take someone seriously," I answered her. Xiaoting held my hand, I put circles on her palm.

"Do you think someone will take me seriously?" she asked again. Even if Xiaoting plays around most of the time, I know she deserves to be taken for what she is.

"I'd take you seriously," I replied, a smile plastered on my lips. I felt the weight of her head deepening, then she removed my grasp on her hand, hugging me this time.

"Thank you," Xiaoting whispered. A little later, I felt a hot streak on my shoulder. Instead of asking her what happened, I hugged her back. I didn't tell her everything was going to be okay. But I hope it will. 

I'm glad she let her emotions out. I'm concerned she takes it all in by herself. I don't want that.

When the classes continued, Xiaoting went back to her normal self. I check on her from time to time just in case she doesn't feel alright. She wouldn't show anything other than what happened earlier. 

"Do you want to go somewhere after our class?" I queried between our short break, our classrooms are close to each other so I can visit.

"Oh, how about we go to that ice cream store we were supposed to go to?" Xiaoting looks excited all of a sudden. 

"Okay," I answered with a smile. 

"I love you," I reminded her. She lay her head on her desk while I caught a smile on her lips. 

"I love you too."

/

Classes ended quickly. We went to our lockers first to leave our textbooks and notes we didn't need for the week. Then, we began to walk to the parking lot. The hallway is beginning to fill up with students excited to go home or do their club activities. 

One student even walked on us due to being in a hurry. He didn't even say sorry and if looks can kill, he'd be dead by Xiaoting's glare right now. 

"Why were you never angry at me being clumsy? I do that to people too," I pointed out to her, chuckling.

"Because you are always my exception," it was so easy for her to say that—that I do not know what to say back.

"Hey!" a familiar voice called from behind. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter