Three

SILAKBO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I got to know Cai Bing when we were at the park. She told me she goes here from time to time because she loves the swing. Her parents weren’t able to do this with her as a kid, since according to her, they were too busy making tons of money. She improvised by learning how to push herself so the swing could move. She loves watching the sunset, that's why she invited me here. Sometimes she would wake up a little early just to wait for the sun to rise. It’s her favourite colour, the way the sun radiates when it rises and when it sets down. 

 

“You don’t have to share anything back if you’re not comfortable to do so,” she told me as we rode the swing. “I just want you to know me,” and there was a melancholic look on her face. I realized she lacks love while growing up. Maybe that’s why she looks so intimidating outside. I could never imagine what she has been through.

 

Cai Bing stared at me, the light hitting her eyes. It was the same color as the sunset, her eyes brightening up. My grip on the handle almost loosened. It looks unreal, the way her eyes shine.

 

“Jesus,” I muttered. A quick “What?” escaped her lips. She’s the type to get worried quickly as her eyes soften.

 

“Has anyone told you, your eyes look gorgeous?” I can’t help but admire it. Cai Bing seems to be lost on her words, I had to giggle. I didn’t mean for it to happen. “Sorry, I was just saying,” I cleared out.

 

“None, I don’t like it when people get near me,” she confessed. Yet here I am, our faces only inches apart.

 

“Are you uncom—”

 

“Oh God, no. You’re different,” she told me as if she knew what I was going to say.

 

At the back of my head, I wanted to squeal. 

 

"What's the difference?" I pushed, wanting to know what she meant. 

 

"You know how when you see someone for the first time and even with the short moment you spend together you know that person is genuine? I thought about you," it was my turn to get tongue tied. Cai Bing was too honest, my chest needed extra oxygen for me to breathe properly. 

 

"I—" I still don't know what to say. "Thinking about it, you're right. I felt what you said too—when we first met," Cai Bing released a smile, seemingly pleased with my answer. She was a scary kitten back then, but now all I could think about is how soft she is inside.

 

"It's almost night, I should get you home," Cai Bing stood up without waiting for my answer. I followed nonetheless, thinking I hadn't told mom I might be late for dinner. 

 

Cai Bing drove in silence. The soothing kind of silence. The only thing that keeps our company is the music. For Elise by Saint Motel plays, we were both nodding our heads, feeling the song, feeling each other's presence. Before I knew it, we're already in front of our house. 

 

Cai Bing never misses the chance to be a gentlewoman. I didn't say anything and she willingly walked with me—to greet my mom. 

 

"Hi honey," my mom greeted, then she saw who I was with. "Ah, Cai Bing! Hello," her mood rose. I already know what she’s thinking.

 

"Good evening Mrs. Choi," she bowed her head. 

 

"Thank you for bringing my daughter home," my mother said, opening the door for the both of us to enter.

 

"No problem. I am enjoying your daughter's company," yet Cai Bing hasn't taken a single step to go in. 

 

"I'm leaving then, have a good night, you two!" Cai Bing was ready to turn around but my mom raised her hand. 

 

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" my mom queried. I saw Cai Bing's expression brightening up. 

 

I knew it!

 

"I have no reason to reject your offer, Mrs. Choi."

 

"Oh shush, just call me auntie," right there, I knew this kind of scenario would be frequent. I'm not complaining though.

 

"Thank you for taking care of me," Cai Bing finally entered our house, bowing once again. 

 

Mom prepared a carbonara. She only does this when there's a special occasion or if our guests are important. I raised my brow when our eyes met. Clearly, she wants to impress Cai Bing. Knowing this little kitten for 2 days, I know she'll sing praises for my mom. And my mom will deny it just to get more words from my friend. Geez.

 

"Oh, I love carbonara," Cai Bing chimed when mom placed the food on the table. "Smells amazing, too," Cai Bing didn't forget to make eye contact with my mom. She looks satisfied with Cai Bing's comments so far. 

 

We started to eat, my mom asking the basic information. Then I discovered that her full name is Cai Yubing. I always thought it was just Cai Bing when I first met her during our freshmen year. You really learn new things everyday, huh?

 

She's a scorpio, born on November 3. Wow, Xiaoting's birth date is on November 12. They're both Scorpios. Interesting…

 

She currently lives in a condo that her parents bought her. Meaning, she's all alone tonight if my mom didn't invite her in. Wait, what? She lives alone?

 

"Do you get lonely?" I stared at my mom for the sensitive question. Cai Bing saw my glare and raised her hand, shaking it. "It's okay. I do feel lonely, but rarely. After I study, I have online friends who I talk and play with," my mom nodded her head, not judging her lifestyle. I play with my online friends too, that's why she understood this little kitten's statement. I wonder what games Cai Bing plays? 

 

I don't know if my mom being nosy is a blessing in disguise. Even though Cai Bing is slowly opening up to me, I've got to know another side of herself I'm afraid to ask. Offending her is the least thing I want her to feel. 

 

"What about your parents? Do they v

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter