One

SILAKBO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Silakbo is a Filipino word that means "an outburst of emotion."

 

The crowd cheered while the bottle spins in a circle. I admit, a part of me is tense because I was only forced to play with my best friend, Xiaoting. The bottle is now slowing down, the people around roared louder. It was draining for an introvert like me. 

 

Xiaoting was chosen by the bottle, it was only inches apart before it landed on me. I wanted to release a sigh of relief, but seeing my best friend on a hot seat stopped me from doing so. But then again, she's the star of the night. She loves getting people's attention. My best friend might happily oblige with the dare she will be assigned to do.

 

"Kiss the most attractive person in this circle," Lisa announced, whistles from the audience echoed throughout the room. Xiaoting isn't intimidated even the slightest, she probably did this tons of times for her to feel calm. 

 

Well, how should I put this? Xiaoting is a heartbreaker. People line up for them to have a chance to get closer. I know it's weird we're best of friends, but our mothers were childhood friends too. Maybe that was the reason we got close even if our interests do not match.

 

I checked the people sitting inside the circle. I admit, most of them are attractive. Notable ones are Jaehyun, Hyunjin, Cai Bing and Giselle. Woah, this is going to be interesting. Xiaoting swings in both ways so I'm curious who she will choose. Xiaoting smirked, I know she knows her target already and now the crowd starts chanting for a kiss. 

 

Everything went by so fast, my best friend faced me—cupping my cheek. Her eyes sparkled as the distance between us lessened. "I think you're the most beautiful person here tonight," she whispered, enough for me—only me to hear. Xiaoting closed her eyes before she closed the gap between us. It felt soft—her lips started moving. I felt Xiaoting shift on her seat, moving closer to me as she graciously deepened her lips on me. I kissed back—unknowingly. I was closing my eyes from the tingling sensation she is giving. It felt right, the way our lips move in sync. She is being considerate on her pace. And suddenly, the noise from our surroundings vanished. The only thing I could feel was… so this is what a kiss feels like? 

 

Xiaoting pushed me softly before I craved for more. There she is, smiling like she achieved something new. I can't believe my first kiss is from her. 

 

"How about we move to the pool?" Everyone agreed and they stood up one by one. I was stunned to stand, a tap on my back pulling me out from my reverie.

 

"I didn't cross the line, did I?" It was Xiaoting, a worried expression plastered on her face. 

 

"N–no, of course not. I understood you used me as an excuse to avoid kissing other people," I replied to her, taking her hand to stand up. The ground looked much more interesting than her eyes and so I continued to look down.

 

"Thank you for understanding," she caressed my arms before she went to the pool area. A part of me wanted her to deny it, remembering the whisper she told me. I guess that was just part of the show too. Feeling drained, I went upstairs to lie in Xiaoting's room. She wouldn't mind as I already went there countless times. 

 

When I opened the door, someone was already there. Her kitten-like eyes stared at me, tilting her head a little bit. I felt a menace with her actions, I continued entering nonetheless. 

 

"Sorry, can I share the room? Downstairs is too noisy for me," I explained, sitting on Xiaoting's queen bed. I opened her turntable and inserted a vinyl to ease my mind from what happened. 

 

Tenderly by Brigt starts to play. The woman with me didn't say anything so I'm assuming she doesn't mind the music. I lay on the bed with my head lying on both of my palms.

 

"Can I lay beside you?" Cai Bing finally talked. 

 

"Why not?" I asked back.

 

"Well, consent is a must," she replied, making me giggle for a bit. Cai Bing lay down, we're both facing the white ceiling. 

 

"You're not the party type, right?" she started, her eyes moving to look at me. 

 

"No. I prefer to relax like this," I answered, closing my eyes. 

 

"Girlfriend duties?" Cai Bing pushed. I opened my eyes with a shocked expression on my face. "No, we're not together. We're just best of friends," I cleared out, waving my right hand to deny the misunderstanding. I lay sideways, facing Cai Bing this time. Her appearance looked confused when she heard me.

 

"Friends with benefits?" I had to laugh when she questioned further. 

 

"No," I smiled, her impression softening. "It was just a dare. Xiaoting and I are childhood friends. And until now we're stuck together," I explained to her. Cai Bing nodded her head, seemingly understanding my relationship with Xiaoting. 

 

"So you're single?" Cai Bing is an intrigued human being. This time, I was the one nodding my head. 

 

"Okay," her lips turned upward—this is the first time I saw her smile. It felt genuine and soothing. 

 

"Why are you here?" I queried.

 

"My friends are here," she told me. Her fingers tapping on the bed sheet. 

 

"Oh, dragged here like me?"

 

"Unfortunately," Cai Bing sighed. Everyone in school knows this woman is like a kitten or a cat. Seeing her expressions up close is a different experience. I was assuming she'd be cold as or something. 

 

"I'm sleepy, can you wake me up a little later?" She changed the subject, which I respect if she doesn't want to talk about this party. At the same time, I feel at ease knowing we don't have to pretend we're enjoying the night. Clearly, both of us inside of Xiaoting's room says a lot. 

 

"Okay. Sleep well, Bing."

 

~♡~

 

"Yujin. Yujin-ah," a voice echoes in my ear. The light from the sun radiates, I had to open my eyes. Xiaoting welcomed me with messy hair. 

 

"Why the heck are you cuddling with Cai Bing?" she whispered to avoid waking up the woman beside me. That was the time I felt her arm on my waist, her head nesting on my chest. I am sheltering her with my arms. 

 

"Wake her up," there was an urgency in Xiaoting's voice. She shoved her hand on her hair. I looked at Bing and she's still sleeping soundly. Not wanting to disturb her peaceful demeanor, I told Xiaoting I'll wait for her to wake up before I stand. 

 

She was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter