Chapter 5

Two Hearts of Sunflower

Dami watched on as Yoohyeon gingerly alighted from the car, flanked by two stern-looking women dressed in expensive suits and sunglasses. She guessed they were probably Yoohyeon’s new bodyguards. 

As Yoohyeon got out of the car, a small group of people rushed towards her, hoping to catch a glimpse of her, talk to her or take photos with her. Although she tried to put on a brave smile, Dami could tell that Yoohyeon was visibly nervous and uncomfortable at all the attention she was receiving. On their part, Yoohyeon’s bodyguards worked to shield her as they walked into the safety of the cafe.

“Hi Dami."

“I see someone’s a big shot now.”

“Dami! Don’t tease me!” Yoohyeon pouted and slapped the arm of her best friend. 

“Real talk though, how have you been dealing with all the attention?"

“Well…as I have told you over the phone, I freaked out for a week straight after the news broke. I guess I am still trying to a-adjust…to…everything…” Yoohyeon deflated as she shot a look at her two bodyguards who were sitting at the table behind her. “Minji said that the attention will recede after a few weeks.” 

“With all how news cycles are these days, public attention will definitely recede but you do know that your life will never be quite the same again right?

“Yeah. Minji told me that I have to quit working at the cafe. She also wanted me to move into the Palace but I refused.”

“Why not?”

The girl blushed. “Well…it is not like we are married. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I want to marry Minji but it just didn’t feel right for me to move into the Palace even before we are married. Again, I am not saying that Minji would marry me. After all, we are only in the early stages of our relationship. I mean, I am not even sure if Minji feels the same way as I do about her. We are still young and-”

“Yooh, I am going to have to cut your rambling here. You know Minji loves you to death. That woman is whipped for you. Besides, if she wasn’t serious about you, she wouldn’t have held that press conference.” 

Yoohyeon’s face turned as red as a tomato now as she recalled the press conference that happened just a few days ago.

“Yes, I have been dating Miss Kim Yoohyeon for nearly a year now. Yoohyeon is a private citizen, who unfortunately, happens to be dating a public figure like me. I am not sure how best to express this, but Yoohyeon is a very special person to me. I would like to humbly request that everyone respect her privacy and give us room to get to know each other better.”

“No Dami, I am not questioning her love..I know Minji loves me. It is just that I am not sure if I am good enough for her. I read the online comments, you know…the North Korean stuff...it is not good for Minji’s reputation.” 

“You need to stop reading those nonsense comments written by netizens who have nothing better to do with their lives and are probably jealous that you are dating the most eligible woman in this country. Heck, in this world.”

“Still…it has been hard for me to shake off the feeling that I am not good enough for Minji. I have been feeling this way since we started dating.” Yoohyeon told her best friend honestly.

“You are an amazing person yourself, Yoohyeon. Sure, you may be a little clumsy at times but nobody’s perfect”

“Dami! You are not making this any better!” 

“My point is, Minji loves you and that should be the only thing that matter. Who cares what random strangers have to say?”

Yoohyeon sighed as she peered out of the window, where a group of strangers were currently trying to take photos of her through the window of the restaurant. She knew her life would never be the same again. The intense scrutiny, the attention...it has barely been a week since the news broke about their relationship and she was already feeling jaded. 

“Miss Yoohyeon, I think it is best that we get going,” Captain Siyeon walked over and whispered to her, “The crowd outside is getting a little too large for my liking.”

“Okay. Come on Dami, let’s hang out at my apartment instead. There are far too many people around.”

Dami nodded, more worried than ever about the well-being of her best friend. Although she tried to console her best friend, she knew it was easier said than done. Yoohyeon was getting dragged into a vortex that she was not ready for. One that would spiral out of control if not managed carefully. 

==

Minji thought that the press and public would stop probing into her love life after her official announcement, but to her (and Yoohyeon’s) dismay,  public interest only intensified as everyone scrambled for a slice of the mysterious girl who had stolen the heart of Korea’s future Monarch.

To make matters worse, the rumour that Yoohyeon was a North Korean spy was quickly gaining traction seemingly out of nowhere. Minji furrowed her eyebrows as she read the daily news bulletin prepared by her advisers for her. There were so-called "evidence" of Yoohyeon's birth certificates, baby photographs of her in North Korea etc. They were very obviously forged and could very easily be disproven but there was something about this rumour that made her very uneasy. 

“Wooyoung, there is something really odd about this rumour. It really came out of the left field. Yoohyeon is quite obviously born and raised here. Even the "evidence" can be very easily debunked. So I find it very strange that the public is latching onto this rumour. This whole thing is just ridiculous.”

“Your Highness, I think it is just a bunch of very bored netizens. These days some people will believe in anything, no matter how ridiculous they sound. Remember the rumour about how horse-tranquilisers can be used to treat COVID-19?"

“I sure hope you are right, Wooyoung. For the alternative is much more frightening. That said, we really need to kill this ridiculous rumour.”

“Your Highness, I have instructed the Royal Press Office to speak to the journalists from the major news agencies but it is almost impossible for us to stop the netizens from talking about it. Any further clarifications on this matter will certainly only fan the flames. The best thing we can do for now is to keep silent and let the issue peter out by itself.”

Minji shook her head. “No, I can’t just stand by and do nothing while these vultures attack Yoohyeon and her family. Let’s fight fire with fire. Let’s give them something else to talk about. I do not want any further speculations about Yoohyeon’s background. It is really affecting her.”

“Do you mean…?”

“Yes, release the news that I will be taking over the Throne from Father next year. I will speak to Father about this. I am sure he will be more than happy to make this news public.”

==

“Puppy, you have been really quiet tonight. Is there something wrong?” 

Minji and Yoohyeon were cuddling in Yoohyeon’s apartment, having a movie night. Although Minji wanted to bring Yoohyeon out for a nice dinner, the latter had asked to stay in tonight. Ever since the news broke, there was an unspoken tension between her and Yoohyeon and no matter how hard she tried, she could not help but feel that Yoohyeon was stonewalling her. 

“Am just tired.” 

“You have lost weight,” Minji commented as she tightened her hold around the love of her life. “Talk to me? I can tell that you are upset...”

Yoohyeon sighed.

Minji had heard about what happened from Captain Siyeon. The Captain was no tattle-tale, but felt that she had to say something after seeing how shaken Yoohyeon was after the incident. 

"Your Highness, I know this is not my place to say this, but Miss Yoohyeon’s mother came to visit her today. I am not too sure what happened as I was standing guard outside the apartment but Miss Yoohyeon looked very shakened after her mother left. I am very worried.” 

“Did something happened? Captain Siyeon told me your mother came to visit you today.”

Minji felt Yoohyeon stiffened. “Yes, she did.”

“What happened?”

“She was just scared and worried about all the attention that I have been receiving.”

“Don’t worry, I have got it under control. We’re releasing the news that I am taking over Father next year. This will surely dominate the headlines in weeks to come.” 

“You don’t have to do that for me, Minji. Besides, didn’t you say you need more time to consider before taking over the Throne?”

“Silly girl, didn’t I say that I would do anything to protect you? You are my girlfriend, the love of my love, I can’t stand by idly and let people talk about you. Besides, it is just a matter of time before I have to take over from my Father. Once he makes a decision, he will not back out of it. It doesn’t really make a difference whether we announce it now or later.”

“But-”

“No buts, Yooh. I have promised that I would protect you no matter what. Trust me? Please? Also, puppy I must say that you really have a way of melting people’s hearts. Even the stoic Captain Siyeon seems to have really warmed up to you very quickly. Just wait, in time to come, the public will definitely fall in love with you.” 

“Siyeon unnie is very nice.”

Minji raised her eyebrows. “Hmm. I see you are calling her unnie now. You must be really close to her.” 

“Why? Are you jealous ?”

“Hmph, why would I be jealous of my own Captain? Besides, Bora has a crush on her. I suspect the Captain also has a crush on her.”

“Oh my god!” Yoohyeon squealed. The sudden improvement in her girlfriend’s mood made Minji smile. “Bora unnie has a crush on Siyeon unnie? They would look really cute together! Minji, we must try to create opportunities for them to interact. You need to give Siyeon unnie a break.”

“Maybe once everything dies down. But for now, I intend to be selfish and assign her to you. I only trust Captain Siyeon to protect you. Enough about the boring stuff…” Minji said as she leaned closer and closer to her girlfriend. “Shall we…” 

Yoohyeon leaned back onto the bed. Tonight, she decided to be selfish and focus solely on Minji, all her troubles and worries temporarily pushed to the back of her mind as she allowed Minji to make love to her. 

==

Just as Minji has predicted, the news cycle quickly moved on after word got out that the King was abdicating his Throne in favour of his young daughter next year. As always, public opinion was mixed, with some lamenting the premature abdication of the King and others looking to a younger Monarch to inject new ideas into the country. Minij was not complaining. She would much rather have the public scrutiny on her than her girlfriend. 

“With due respect Your Majesty, you have not consulted the Council on your abdication!”, protested Prime Minister Baek Junyoung. 

Minji was accompanying her Father to his weekly meeting with the Council of Advisers. She took a look across the room and wondered just how many allies she had. Not many, I guess. 

“I don’t answer to the Council, Prime Minister Baek. I don't remember asking the Council for permission. I am merely informing the Council of my decision to abdicate in favour of the Princess.”

“While Her Highness has shown promise, she is still far too young and inexperienced. With all the problems currently facing the nation, it would perhaps be better to have a familiar pair of hands steering the ship", said Councilor Lee, one of the five members on the Council of Advisers. He was the stereotypical conservative bureaucrat, rising up from the ranks of the civil service and eventually running for office.

“Preposterous! I think the Princess has proven herself enough by winning the referendum. Or was it something that the Council has actively chosen to forget?” The King slammed his fist on the table, effectively silencing the chatters among the members of the Council.

Deep down, Minji knew a pushback from the Council against her accession was inevitable, after their poorly disguised attempt to overthrow the Monarchy was thwarted by her. She was not the most popular person with the Council at the moment. The Council, long dominated by men from old money, had always resisted fresh ideas and played an oversized role in the running of the country. Minji vowed to correct that when she eventually took over the Throne. 

"Well, I think we should welcome change," Lee Yong spoke up, silencing the rest of the Council. Although he was not the Prime Minister, as one of the wealthiest men in the country, he played a key role in influencing the politics of the country. This was one of the reasons why her Father wanted Minji to marry his son. However, the bridge had long been burnt since Lee Yong tried to kidnap Yoohyeon. "I look forward to Princess Minji's fresh ideas.”

Minji was not clear what game this man was trying to play. She was immediately suspicious of his intent. If what Lee Shin said was true, Lee Yong would not be pleased at the development - he didn't want a reformist like Minji on the Throne. Just what in the world is this wily old man thinking of?

==

“WE DO NOT ACCEPT A NORTH KOREAN SPY AS OUR FUTURE CONSORT!” 

“THE PRINCESS IS BEING SEDUCED AND CORRUPTED BY A SPY SENT BY NORTH KOREA!”

“WE DEMAND THAT FOREIGN AGENT KIM YOOHYEON BE ARRESTED AND INVESTIGATED!”

Seemingly overnight, a protest was staged outside the Palace. At first, it started off with a small group of protesters waving banners and shouting slogans. But in a matter of hours, the group swelled to the hundreds.

Minji slammed her fist on the table. “Just what is happening outside the Palace?”

The Captain of the King’s Guard bowed her head in shame. “Please accept my apologies, Your Highness. The protesters seemed to have gathered overnight. They remain peaceful for now so we are unable to chase them away. If we do so, it would be an infringement of their right to express their views. We have tightened security around the perimeter of the Palace.”

“What about…?”

“As instructed, I have sent Guards to fetch Miss Yoohyeon. A guest room in the Palace has been prepared for her."

“Ok, I want eyes on Yoohyeon 24/7. Even when she is in the Palace. I don't feel too good at this latest development. The protest doesn't seem organic. I fear someone is behind this."

==

“Just look at what is happening out there. Remember I told you that you were Minji’s ultimate weakness? People are making full use of it. Especially now that they know Minji is going to become the Queen soon. The old fogeys on the Council are scared of Minji and her reformist agenda. There is no better time to take her down than now. This is the perfect opportunity for them to cripple Minji and clip her wings. I can already predict what they are going to do next. They are going to ride on this current wave of public anger and are going to accuse Minji and the Royal Family of aiding the enemy.”

Yoohyeon felt a chill down her spine as she watched the footage of the protestors waving banners with the North Korean flag plastered across her own face, yelling vulgarities about her. Yoohyeon saw how things were spiraling out of control very quickly. 

It was at this very moment that Yoohyeon had made up her mind. The decision that has been on the back of her mind since this whole debacle started. Someone was offering her, her family and most importantly, Minji, a lifeline.

“Ok, Shin. I have made up my mind. I will take up your offer.” 

==

"Where is Miss Yoohyeon! We are going to be in so much trouble with Captain Siyeon if she finds out that we have lost track of Miss Yoohyeon." 

"L-look! There is a handwritten note!" 

Minji, by the time you read this, I will be gone. Sorry I left in such a hurry. Recent events have been just too much for me to handle. The pressure, the spotlight, the nasty comments. Sometimes I feel like you are too good for a nobody like me. You keep giving and I keep taking. I am always a step behind you, no matter how hard I try. I know you are trying your best to protect me, but I don’t want to be your weakness anymore. I am leaving you to find myself - who I am as a person, not just as “Kim Minji’s girlfriend”. Please don’t come looking for me. If you love me, you will let me go. Just know that I will always be watching over you from afar. I love you. 

-Forever your puppy, Yoohyeon. 

When Captain Siyeon handed her the note that the Guards found in Yoohyeon's empty apartment, Minji felt her whole world screech to a halt. She read the note over and over again, each time feeling a stab of pain to her heart. She felt anger, guilt, sadness and despair. All her emotions swirling at the same time. She crushed the paper with her trembling fist.

Yoohyeon has left. Yoohyeon has left. Yoohyeon has left. She would never be coming back.