Chapter 1

Two Hearts of Sunflower

Yoohyeon was becoming insecure. She had been “dating” Minji for two months now but she still wasn’t sure if they were official. Sometimes she questioned whether she was good enough to date Minji. After all, she was just an ordinary girl. What about Minji? Well, for starters, Minji was a Princess. A bonafide Princess with blue blood running in her veins. 

“Yooh!” 

A familiar voice brought her back to reality. It was Minji. Minji had just come back from her overseas trip to neighbouring Japan. She accompanied her parents as part of her Royal duties. 

“Hi Minji…” 

“Did you miss me while I was gone?” Minji’s smile was gentle, as always. Yoohyeon let Minji hold her hand. This was the most skinship they could do in public. 

“...” 

“Here, I bought you a gift.” Minji retrieved a gift box from her jacket pocket. It was a Tiffany blue box wrapped with a bow tie.“Oh Minji, you didn’t have to.” 

“Open it! I picked it out especially for you.” 

It was a delicate little necklace, with a silver heart in the middle.

“...”

“Why? Do you not like it?” 

“No, it is not that I don’t like it. But remember what we talked about before? No expensive gifts.” 

“I know, I know. But your birthday is in a week’s time and I just wanted to get you something nice. I promise that’s all you’re getting for your birthday this year.” 

“...”

“Yooh, what’s the matter? You seem off today.” 

“Minji, can we talk?” She glanced around the park. Behind Minji was her usual entourage of bodyguards. “Somewhere more private?”

Sensing that something was not right with her girlfriend, Minji agreed. “Okay, shall we go to your house?” 

==

Minji was becoming worried. She had looked forward to spending some quality time with her girlfriend after her work trip to Japan but she was greeted by an unsually quiet and reserved Yoohyeon. Yoohyeon would usually be extra clingy whenever they spent time apart. She also refused to hold Minji’s hand in the car, which was very unusual. Something was off. 

“We have arrived at Miss Yoohyeon’s apartment, Your Highness. The building has been swept by security. You may enter the building.” Her driver reported to her. 

“Thanks, Wooyoung.” 

The pair got out of the car and up to the apartment. Yoohyeon lived alone in a studio apartment, which was situated in, in Minji’s humble opinion, a dodgy part of Seoul. She tried several times to convince Yoohyeon to move to somewhere safer, even offering to pay for the rent but the stubborn girl always declined.

Yoohyeon’s apartment was minimally decorated. It was furnished with the bare necessities. Simple and functional. As they could not hang out freely in public, they spent the most time in Yoohyeon’s apartment. 

“Yooh, what’s on your mind?” As much as she wanted to touch the girl, to hug her, Minji sensed that this may not be the right time for her to initiate physical contact. And so she kept her distance away. “Talk to me? Please?”

“Minji, I…I think we should break up.” 

Minji felt her world stop. She tried to speak but could not find the right words to say. She wanted to tell Yoohyeon she loved her, wanted to tell Yoohyeon that she could not live without her.

“Why?” She whispered. That was all she could say at the moment.

“We come from such different words. We are two very different individuals. I would never be able to give you what you have given me. Your parents are never going to accept someone like me. I am just a nobody. This relationship will go nowhere.” 

“No Yooh, don’t say that about yourself. I love you and we will make this work. Please? Please give us another chance.” Minji pleaded. 

Yoohyeon shook her head. “I have thought about it, Minji. I think we should better break up before it hurts us any further. I love you but this is never going to work.” 

“What happened? I thought we were doing fine.”

She handed the gift box back to Minji. “Sorry, but can you please leave my house? I would like some privacy.” 

Minji recognised the pain in Yoohyeon’s eyes. It was the same pain that she felt. She didn’t understand why Yoohyeon would say such things to her.

“Okay, I will leave and give you some space. But I just want you to know that I love you and will never stop loving you.” 

That night, Minji went to bed with puffy eyes, determined not to let Yoohyeon go. No matter the obstacles ahead. She knew the other girl felt the same way as she felt. They loved each other. Minji still remembered the first time she met Yoohyeon. Yoohyeon was performing at the university’s talent show and Minji was immediately enthralled by the younger girl’s honey vocals. It was like a scene out of a TV drama, the love at first sight feeling that Minji felt. It took Minji several months (with several interventions from mutual friends) before she mustered up enough courage to ask the girl out. Of course, with Yoohyeon being Yoohyeon, she was initially reluctant to date Minji because of her status but eventually gave in after Minji and her agreed to keep the relationship private. 

==

“Yoohyeon, you really need to stop moping around.” 

“No. I am going to keep moping around.”

“Friendly reminder that you were the one who wanted to break up with her.” 

“Dami!” The girl pouted.”I have my…reasons. Stop making fun of me.”

“I am just being honest. You clearly still have feelings for her. And quit moping around. It’s time for work.”

Yoohyeon knew her best friend slash co-worker was right. Despite everything, she still had feelings for Minji. Feelings that she was finding difficult to put aside. She had gone a week without talking to Minji, this was the longest they had gone without talking to each other since they got together. It was torturous. Yoohyeon was secretly glad that she had an eight hour shift in the cafe to take her mind off Minji. 

“Watch out, Yoohyeon!” A co-worker called out to her. Unfortunately, it was a second too late. Yoohyeon did not notice that the man was carrying a bowl of soup. The soup had spilled over, scalding her left arm.

“Ouch!” She cried out in pain. The bowl of hot soup was all over her left arm. 

“Quick! Someone get her arm under the running water.”  

“Yoohyeon, what’s on your mind? You seem a little distracted the past few days”, her supervisor asked. 

“Nothing really. Just a little stressed about the upcoming exams.” 

“I will get Dami to bring you to the doctor. Please take a couple of days off to recover." 

==

Text from Bora: “Hey Minji. I am not sure if you know, but Dami just texted me to say Yoohyeon hurt herself at work.” 

Minji was having classes with her private tutor when she received the text message from her best friend, Bora. She almost leaped up from her chair. 

“Teacher Kim, something just came up. I was wondering if we can stop the lesson for today? I have to attend to something urgently.” 

“Your Highness, pardon me, but I am afraid we must finish this lesson with no distractions. Her Majesty the Queen has instructed as such.” 

Deflating, Minji grudgingly returned to her seat. This was the story of her life. In name, she was the Crown Princess, heir to the throne. However, in substance, she had very little control over her life. 

As soon as her lesson was over, she called Dami immediately. ”Hey Dami. Minji here. I heard from Bora that Yoohyeon hurt herself at work. Is she okay?” 

“Yeah, she should be fine. She knocked into someone carrying a hot bowl of soup and it scalded her arm. I just brought her home after seeing the doctor and she is currently resting at home. Although I am not sure if she would welcome you. I heard the two of you broke up.” 

“Yeah about that…I still love her, Dami. And I know she feels the same for me.” 

“I am not about to get involved in the drama between the two of you. Anyway, all I can tell you is that she is currently resting at home. Whatever you want to do with that piece of information, I leave it to you.” Dami replied with her usual nonchalance. 

Of course, Kim Minji doesn’t need to be told twice.

=

Ring! Ring!

Yoohyeon was slightly drowsy after taking the pain medication. She was almost reluctant to get the doorbell but the ringing was incessant and only compounded her irritation.

“Yooh, are you okay?”

For a second Yoohyeon thought she was hallucinating when she opened the door. There Minji was, with a worried look on her face. It took everything in her not to pounce on that girl and give her a tight hug. 

“Yes, I am. What brings you here?” Yoohyeon tried to sound as cold as she could. 

“I’m worried about you. Let me have a look at your arm?” 

“Minji…”

“What did the doctor say? Does it still hurt? Will it leave a scar?”

“Minji, we have broken up. You aren’t supposed to be here.”

“I know. I’m worried about you. I just wanted to make sure that you’re okay. I will leave if you don’t want me around.” 

Minji gently ran her fingertips along the length of her injured arm. As always, Minji’s touch was careful and soft. This hurt her more than the burn on her arm. Minji still loved her after what she did to her. And she still loved Minji in spite of everything. She felt her resolve weaken and the walls that she built crumble. 

“Now that I have seen you, I will get going. Rest well, Yoohyeon. Call me if you need anything.” 

“Don’t go, Minji.” She instinctively tugged onto Minji’s arm and pulled her into a crushing hug (as tight as her arm would allow).

As always, Minji’s hugs always gave her a sense of security like none other. She rested her head on the crook of Minji’s neck. Although she was slightly taller than Minji, this was her favourite spot to rest on. “Don’t let go of me.” 

Minji tightened the hug. “I would never let go of you. I promise.” 

==

Minji’s phone vibrated. Trying her best not to wake Yoohyeon who had draped half her body over her, she slowly pulled her phone from her pocket. 

It was a text from her driver, Wooyoung. Your Highness, I think we should leave soon to prepare for the state dinner tonight. I understand that His Majesty would like to speak to you before that.

, Minji had forgotten about the dinner. 

“Yooh?” She whispered, her sleepy girlfriend’s cheek. (Yes, Minji still called Yoohyeon her girlfriend. As far as she was concerned, you wouldn’t let a non-girlfriend drape half her body on you.) 

The sleeping girl only tightened her arms around her. She tried again. “Puppy…?”

“Minji…” Yoohyeon whined and rubbed her bleary eyes. 

“I need to leave soon. I have a dinner to attend to.” 

“Don’t go. Skip it.” Yoohyeon pouted and Minji could not resist kissing into the pout. 

“I wish I could.” 

“Yeah, I know. Duty calls.” The girl let go of Minji, and did a lazy stretch on her bed. 

“I will call you later tonight?” 

“Hokay.” 

“Are you sure you will be okay? Does your arm still hurt?” 

“My arm is okay, Minji, I have been living alone for the last three years. I will be fine."

“Okay, I will call you later tonight. I love you.” 

Minji gave Yoohyeon one more lingering kiss before she reluctantly left the apartment. 

==

It was a mad rush for Minji to get ready for dinner after returning from Yoohyeon’s house. She changed into a traditional hanbok and finishing her makeup when her lady-in-waiting knocked on her door. 

“Your Highness, His Majesty has summoned you to the Throne Room.” 

Minji exhaled a sigh. She had an inkling of what her father wanted. She was reluctant but made her way to the Throne Room nevertheless. 

“Father.” 

“Here you are. Minji, have a seat. I think you know why I wanted to speak to you. I do not wish to beat around the bush. I would like you to get closer to Lee Shin, the son of Lee Yong, the owner of Sansum Industries. The Lee Family has always been a staunch supporter of the Royal Family. A marriage with them would be the best way to secure their support; and the support of other Advisers on the Council.”

Minji knew what her Father meant. A storm was brewing in the Court. Power in Korea was divided among the two camps - the Royal Family and the Council of Advisors, who consisted of five democratically appointed officials. The Royal Family, led by the King, looked after the domestic affairs, while the Council of Advisors, led by the Prime Minister, focused on external affairs. This power-sharing arrangement had worked, resulting in unprecedented peace and prosperity in post-war Korea. However, in recent years, support for the abolition of the Royal Family has increased, and correspondingly, the number of abolitionists on the Council of Advisers have increased, arguing for “modernisation” of Korea’s ruling system. As the biggest chaebol in Korea, marrying the heir of Sansum Industries would have its definite benefits. A union between the Royal Family and the biggest chaebol in the country would strengthen Minji’s position greatly. 

“Don’t think I don’t know. I have no qualms with you messing around that commoner girl. But you are coming of age. It is time you stop fooling around.”

Minji was not at all surprised that her Father knew. Although she had promised Yoohyeon to keep their relationship as private as possible, she knew from the onset that there was no way she would be able to hide it from her parents. After all, she was watched over 24/7 by an entourage of bodyguards who reported to her father. It was just a matter of time before her parents knew. 

“Father, I am very serious about Yoohyeon. I love her.” 

The King sighed. “Minji, I was once your age. What the heart wants is often at odds with reality. The feelings you have for her are fleeting. You will get over her in no time. As you grow older, you will understand that is for the best. The two of you come from two very different worlds.”

“Father!” Minji knew deep in her bones and her heart that this could not be further from the truth. 

“My mind is set. I have discussed this with your Mother. You will marry Lee Shin.” 

“Father, what is a ruler who does not know what love is?”

“I am not telling you not to love. I am telling you that your priority is to safeguard the Throne. To ensure stability for the nation. Minji, you are destined to be the Monarch of this great nation. We cannot afford to falter. We have to uphold two hundred years of Korean tradition. You will learn to love Lee Shin, just like how your Mother and I have learned to love each other over the years. That girl you love is an ordinary girl, she is not going to give you the strength that you need.” 

“..."

“I have given you enough freedom, Minji. I have turned a blind eye to the existence of the girl for a long time. Don’t force my hand.”

“Don’t you dare touch her!” Minji shouted, her fist clenched tightly. 

The man sighed. “Minji, you are my daughter and at the end of the day, your Mother and I just want the best for you. If I have to harden my heart and do nasty things, I will do it. For the sake of you and the nation.” 

“Leave her alone. I promise to take care of it. Give me some time to work things out.” 

==

The dinner proved to be torturous for Minji. After the conversation with her Father, Minji was in no mood to entertain guests and the man that she was going to be forced to marry. She was forced to sit next to Lee Shin. 

“Your Highness, may I know what your hobbies are?” 

“Please call me Minji. Shin, let’s skip the small talk. I have to be honest with you. I know our parents are trying to bring us together but I have a girlfriend that I am in love with. This marriage is never going to happen.”

The man was surprisingly calm about the revelation. It was as if he already knew. He smiled knowingly and said cryptically, “Ah yes. You’re just as direct and honest as others have told me. Don’t worry, Minji, it is not you whom I am interested in.” 

“So who are you interested in?”

“You’ll find out soon enough.” 

==

“We are going on a date today.”

“Date?” 

“Yes, a date. Outside. Just you and I. I have asked Wooyoung to drive us.” A week has passed since the state dinner and Minji finally found time to ask her girlfriend out. 

“Are you sure this is okay?” Yoohyeon had never gone on a proper date outside with Minji before. Sure, they had meals before but this was the first time they were going out without Minji’s usual entourage of bodyguards.

“Don’t worry about it. I will disguise myself by wearing a mask.”

“Where are we headed to?” 

“You’ll find out. By the way, puppy, you look extra cute today. I like the colour of your cardigan.” 

Yoohyeon blushed. “MinjI!” Don’t call me cute.” 

The Princess chuckled. "I can't lie. You are cute, especially when you are shy. Come on, let’s get going.” 

“Yay Minji!” The girl pounced on the Princess, engulfing her in a tight hug when they found out that they were headed to Yoohyoen’s favorite place in the world, the amusement park. 

“Do you like it?” 

“Yes! Come, Minji! Let’s go on the rollercoaster!” Minji let herself be tugged along by her excited girlfriend. 

“Ugh, Yooh, one second.” Minji’s face was pale as they got off the rollercoaster. 

“Are you okay? Was the rollercoaster too much for you? Such a scaredy cat.”

The older girl gasped. “I’m not a scaredy cat!” 

After a day of fun, the pair settled for lunch at a nearby cafe. Minji was strangely clingy. Yes, Minji was affectionate, but Yoohyeon was usually the clingy one between the pair. 

“A penny for your thoughts? Why are you staring at me like this?"

"Like what?"

"Dunno." Yoohyeon blushed as Minji continued staring intently at her.

“Like you are the most beautiful person in the world." Minji took Yoohyeon's hand and gave it a squeeze. She took a deep breath before continuing, "Yoohyeon, there is something that I need to tell you about. I don’t want you to freak out or anything. But I had given some thoughts about it and I think it is best that I be as upfront with you as possible.” 

Yoohyeon could sense the shift in the air. “What is it? Minji, you’re scaring me.” 

“My Father knows about us and he wants me to marry Lee Shin.” 

“That Lee Shin?” Yoohyeon felt her heart drop at the news.

“Yes, that Lee Shin. The only son of the owner of Sansum Industries. It is supposed to secure the future of the Royal Family.” 

Yoohyeon had no idea what to do about this piece of news. She knew that Minji’s parents would never approve of their relationship but she was not expecting a marriage for Minji to be on the cards. Not so soon, at least. “So are you going to marry him…?”

“Silly girl, I don’t intend to marry that fellow at all. You’re the only one for me. I am plotting a way to get out of this marriage. But in the meantime, things might get a little hard for you.” Minji said carefully, watching her girlfriend intently. 

“What do you mean?” 

“We will need to break up.”