Chapter 4

Two Hearts of Sunflower

a/n: Here’s a new chapter to celebrate Dreamcatcher’s first and second wins! 

Minji was nervous. Her palms were sweaty. She took deep and slow breaths to calm herself down as she took to the stage. She looked down on the loving crowd, who were waving posters and banners with her face, chanting her name. Minji gongju-nim, Minji gongju-nim, Minji gongju-nim.

She was mesmerised. And in that instant, all her self-doubt evaporated. These were her people, the people whom she was born to serve. This was her birthright and she was just fulfilling it. 

Mustering up all the gusto that she had, she cleared . 

“My people of this glorious nation, I stand before you as your future Monarch. I have always believed in the greatness of this nation. This nation’s ability to defy all odds to rebuild and reinvent itself after every devastation humbles me. We had built ourselves up from the devastation of the Japanese occupation and the Second World War. The Royal Family is nothing but a vessel for the people. We only exist because of you. We are nothing without you. 

An audible gasp could be heard from the crowd. This was unheard of. The Royal Family’s mandate to rule was built upon the basis of an unquestioning Heaven’s Mandate. For Minji to publicly acknowledge that the Royal Family was not omnipotent was a huge deal. Minji knew exactly the effect that it would have on the crowd.  

“I have a dream for this nation. Vote for the Monarchy, vote for the future of this glorious nation!” She thumped the surface of the podium, to the cheers of the crowd who were chanting her name. 

Minji gongju-nim, Minji gongju-nim, Minji gongju-nim.

She could not help but smirk. She felt the power on her fingertips. This was where she belonged. This was her place in this world. Oh, what a thrill.

==

Yoohyeon was unable to peel her eyes away from the TV. The majestic woman on the stage owned all of her heart and soul but she knew for a fact that this woman did not belong to her. Yet again, the ugliest of her self-doubts reared its head.

Minji belongs to this nation. How can I ever be good enough for her? Minji needs someone who can be her strength, not her weakness. I am Minji’s weakness. I would only bring her down. 

==

“Congratulations on the convincing win, Your Highness.” Wooyoung bowed to his Princess. 

The results came out at the dawn of the morning. Minji had stayed awake the whole night, waiting anxiously for the results.

“Thank you, Wooyoung. What is the latest on the Prime Minister?”

“He has conceded defeat publicly and has pledged his loyalty to the Royal Family. Your final speech really resonated with the people. The clip went viral around the rest of the world. For the first time in a long time, you really got our people excited about the future of the Monarchy and this country. People are excited for you to come into power.” 

“Watch your words, Wooyoung. My father remains the reigning Monarch and I have no intention of usurping him. He remains very much the cornerstone of this nation.”

Knowing he had overstepped his boundaries, the man crumpled to the ground and held his fist to his chest. “Please forgive me for my careless words, Your Highness. I remain loyal to His Majesty and am ready to lay down my life for him. I am but a loyal servant to His Majesty. Long live the King.” 

Minji waved and dismissed the man without another word. She wanted some alone time, away from the prying eyes of the Palace staff and the nosy noses of the reporters. Everyone wanted a piece of her. 

All the adrenaline had given away to wariness that she felt deeply in her bones. After all, she had spent the last couple of months on the road, campaigning tirelessly. Adding to her stress was the fact that Lee Yong, the owner of Sansum Industries, whose son Minji was supposed to marry, had put a price on Yoohyeon’s head!

At least Yoohyeon is now under the care of Captain Lee now. I can rest easier for now. Although my guilt for her can’t seem to dissipate. Yes, I may have won the war, but at what cost…? 

==

“Has she returned to the apartment?”

“I see. No, no, don’t disturb her. Let her rest.” 

Minji sighed and put down the phone, rubbing her nose bridge. The first person that she wanted to speak to after the victory was Yoohyeon. Oh, how Minji ached to hold the girl in her arms, to share this joy with her.

“Kim Minji, I can’t believe you are becoming a stalker. Planting the Captain of the esteemed King’s Guards to be a spy for the Princess’s secret lover. This is very unbecoming. Let the poor Captain rest.”

“Yah, Kim Bora! Speak for yourself. You’re no better. Don’t think I don’t know about your little crush on the Captain.”

This seemed to surprise even Kim Bora, who was rarely caught off guard. “W-what do you mean! I d-don’t have a crush on her! Why would I have a crush on a dumb, dull guard!”

“Haha I knew it! Bora, you’re blushing! What happened to all your bravado huh! You were laughing at me when I was chasing Yooh, now look at you!”

Bora groaned. “It is different, okay? Siyeon won’t even look me in the eye when I speak to her! She calls me ma’am and walks two steps BEHIND me. Tell me, how can I ask that protocol-conscious wooden block out like that!” 

“Sounds exactly like Captain Lee Siyeon to me.” Minji had to laugh. Her father’s trusty Captain was one of the youngest ever appointed to lead the King’s Guard in the last hundred years. She was famous for being serious almost to a fault. However, the Princess had long noticed the way the Captain’s eyes would drift to and linger on Bora whenever she walked into the room. Minji made a mental note to find time to speak to the Captain.

“Enough about me. By the way, congratulations on the referendum, Your Highness.” 

Minji sighed. “Both you and I know this is just the beginning. The Council is now in a state of disarray. The other members are calling upon Prime Minister Baek to resign. He shouldn’t have agreed to the referendum in the first place. Right now, the earlier momentum for the abolitionist movement is decimated.” 

Bora raised an eyebrow. “Yes, and this presents an opportunity of a lifetime for Lee Yong.” 

“What do you mean? I doubt he wants to be the Prime Minister.”

“Think about this Minji. With the Prime Minister the weakest he has ever been, this gives Lee Yong a chance to install someone in his camp as the next Prime Minister. He might not be able to control you, but him controlling the Council would still be a big step forward for him.. Although Lee Yong and the Prime Minister have common interests in toppling the Monarchy, Prime Minister Baek is definitely not Lee Yong’s puppet.” 

Minji chewed on that for a moment. “I get what you’re saying, but there is nothing we can do about him at this time. I wanted to nail Lee Yong for the attempted kidnapping of Yoohyeon but that bastard had kept his tracks so clean. Not even his own son, Lee Shin, had definite evidence against his father. This wily fox.” 

“Let’s just wait and see. He would definitely strike again.” 

“Indeed. And when the time comes, I am going to make sure I get him back for what he did to Yoohyeon. To pay him back ten-fold. I need to become more powerful.” 

==

“Father, you have summoned me?” 

“Yes, my daughter, have a seat.”

“This is something that has been on my mind for awhile now. The way you ran the referendum campaign was really impressive. You have won over the hearts and minds of our people. In many ways, you have outgrown and outshone your own Father.”

“Father, that’s not true. I still have much to learn from you!” 

“Calm down, Minji. It is a good thing. I am proud of you and what you have done. Without your efforts, the abolitionist movement would have only grown from strength to strength and would pose a serious threat to the Royal Family. You’re the future of the Royal Family. I think you’re ready.”

“Ready?”

The King smiled. It was at that moment Minji truly noticed how much her Father had aged in the last few years. The snow-white hair, the creases around his eyes and the exhaustion in his voice. Her Father had aged so much without her realising.

“Minji, I think it is time I hand the Throne over to you." 

Minji felt faint. 

“FATHER!” 

“Minji, you’re ready. Trust me. I am not getting any younger. I plan to retire and spend more time with your Mother. I know I haven’t been a dutiful father or husband. The least I can do is to spend more time with your Mother while I still can.”

Minji felt her world spin as her Father continued. “This year marks the 30th anniversary since I took to the Throne. I intend to abdicate in your favour next year. I can say I have done my best in my 30 years of serving this country. You’re ready, Minji. You’ve proven yourself to be an able leader of this country. I thought you needed to marry Lee Shin for strength but I realised how wrong I was. You’re strong enough on your own. I want you to rule on your own terms.”

“Father…”

“My dear daughter. You do know your time will eventually come right? Better than I hand over the reins of this country to you while I’m still alive. God knows how many more years I have left to live.” 

“Don’t say such things about yourself.” 

The King chuckled. “I’m just saying facts.”

“I don’t feel ready. I-i…There is still much of the world that I want to explore and experience before…”

Before I become caged up by this Throne. 

The King understood what she  After all, he was once in her shoes, having the Throne ed upon him when he turned 21 after the untimely demise of his father. 

“One is never fully ready for the rigors of the Throne. One can only do the best they can when the Throne is entrusted to them. You’re exactly what the country needs. My ideals are out of touch. Failure to renew only spells failure in the long run. Remember Minji, the Royal Family cannot fail. You cannot fail.”

What more can Minji say? What else can she do? She was like a bird trapped in a cage. Yes, a golden cage, but still a cage nevertheless. She never had a choice about the trajectory of her life. It was decided for you from the time she was born. 

And so she ran away, ran to the only safe place that she knew. 

==

“M-minji…?”  

The last thing that Yoohyeon was expecting to see was a tear-stained Minji knocking on her door. Didn’t Minji win the referendum…why is she crying? 

“What are you doing here. Minji? It is 12:30am.”

“Don’t turn me away, Yooh, don’t abandon me too.” Minji’s eyes were bloodshot, a tell-tale sign that the girl had been crying for a while now and she reeked of alchol. 

“What happened, Minji? Have you been drinking?” 

“...”

“Talk to me. What happened? You’re scaring me.” Yoohyeon reached out to hold onto Minji’s arms, trying her best to anchor her girlfriend. Her heart ached.

Minji just let everything off her chest. Yoohyeon listened attentively, not interrupting even once.

“For what it’s worth, I think you will make a great Queen. I have watched all your speeches. You can really rally the nation around you.” 

"No...I am not ready, Yooh. This is too much for me to accept." 

"Listen Minji. It is perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed. It will take time." 

"Will you be here with me?"

"Minji..." 

"Tell me, why are you avoiding me? I know you probably hate me for what happened to you. If it wasn't for me, that bastard Lee Yong would not have tried to kill you."

"Minji, you're drunk. Let me get you to bed." 

"Yooh, tell me? Do you hate me? Do you not love me anymore?"

Yoohyeon shook her head. Minji was really drunk. She was unsteady on her feet, her cheeks were red and she was slurring her words. "I don't hate you." 

"Do you love me?"

"I do, of course I do, Minji. I love you." Yoohyeon huffed as she wrapped her arm around Minji's shoulder, attemping to steady her drunk girlfriend on her feet. "God, you're heavy when drunk."


==

Minji woke up with a headache and a familiar weight on her chest. It was Yoohyeon fast asleep, with her arms wrapped snugly around Minji’s waist. She had to smile. 

“Morning puppy.” She kissed her sleepy girlfriend's nose. 

“Mo-rning…” Yoohyeon rubbed her sleepy eyes, tightening her arms around her girlfriend.

“What a fine sight to wake up to.”

“Lies. My hair is messy and my breath stinks.”

“That’s not true. To me, you are gorgeous any time of the day.” 

“Flirt.” The younger girl pouted but still allowed Minji to kiss her on the lips. "Shouldn't you have a hangover or something."

Minji rubbed her temples. “Yes, I had a little too much to drink last night. I remember bits and pieces of last night. I am cringing at myself."

"You're lucky I love you."

"That I am." Minji wrapped her arms around her girlfriend. "God, I miss having you in my arms." 

"Flirt." 

"Of course, I have to flirt with you. Who else can I flirt with?”


“Well, what about the time your lady-in-waiting had a crush on you?”

“Yoohyeon!”

“I am heading to the toilet, don’t flirt with anyone else while I am gone!”

Minji shook her head. She was glad to have her mischevious girlfriend back. While waiting for Yooheyon to return, she decided to scroll through her phone for the first time in the morning. What she saw was a barrage of missed calls and text messages. 

QueenBora [0830hrs]: Kim Minji! Are you alive?

QueenBora [0835hrs]: When you see this, call me back at once!

QueenBora [0900hrs]: Kim Minji, you’re dead meat. 

QueenBora [0930hrs]: CHECK THE NEWS

Frowning, she the news application on her phone. 

Crown Princess Kim Minji caught smooching a mysterious girl? Read on to find out more about the girl. 

Below the headline was a photo of her kissing Yoohyeon at the amusement park. Although Minji had a cap on, she was still very recognisable in the photo. Her heart dropped. 

, , . So someone was following us. Just who leaked the photo?

==

“It is going ok, Yoohyeon. I promise you I will take care of this.”

Minji eyed her girlfriend who was trembling and pacing around the apartment for the past hour, freaking out over the news article. Minji could not blame the younger girl for her reaction. Unlike Minji who spent her whole life under the limelight, Yoohyeon had the most ordinary of childhood and was an extremely private person. She did not even have a social media account. 

“It is too late Minji! My details are being posted online and I am already getting angry messages! Look at my phone!” 

“I’m so sorry this happened.”

“What should we do now? I’m scared. What if they go after my mom and brother?”


“Yoohyeon, I promise I will take care of you and your family. I have sent someone down to your family home. I will get you a new phone number. You also need to change your KakaoTalk.  Trust me, this will die down soon enough." She the back of her girlfriend, hoping to comfort her. "Don’t worry Yoohyeon, I promise I will protect you. Everything will be okay.”

Minji was not sure if she was saying this to convince herself or Yoohyeon. 

==

“Wooyoung, did you manage to get in touch with your media contacts?”

“Yes, Your Highness. I have asked that they stop posting anything related to Miss Yoohyeon.”

“Good.”

“But the fact is, her identity has already been leaked. Once it is made online, it is almost impossible for us to stop the details from circulating.”

"Those pesky journalists. Have you found out who took and leaked the photos to the news agencies?”

“Not yet. The agency which broke the news was very mum about their source. We need to do some damage control though. The rumours are getting ridiculous. I saw one about Yoohyeon being a North Korean spy to get close to you.” 

“It was my fault for being too careless that day. Wooyoung, we need to be really careful in handling this. I don’t want the media to hound Yoohyeon and her family anymore than they already have.” 

“Pardon me for my impertinence, Your Highness. This is just a matter of time. Eventually, you will have to introduce Miss Yoohyeon to the nation.” 

Minji sighed, instantly feeling her protective instincts kick in. Yoohyeon was very dear to her heart. Yoohyeon was her safe space and refuge and she didn’t want to share her with the world. She knew how cruel the world can be and she badly wanted to shield Yoohyeon from it. However, she was also aware that the best way to protect Yoohyeon from this moment onwards was to bring Yoohyeon under her wings, declare to the world that Yoohyeon was hers. Whoever crossed Yoohyeon, crossed her as well. 

“I know, I know. I have been thinking more lately. Now that I have more power than before, I have been thinking about making my relationship with Yoohyeon public. In the long run, it is probably impossible to hide her from the world. Scratch that, I do not wish to hide her from the world. There is nothing shameful about our love. Yoohyeon would make a fine Consort.”

“Yes, Your Highness. Miss Yoohyeon would definitely make a fine Consort.” 

“Wooyoung, it is time we introduce Yoohyeon officially to the nation. Make the necessary preparation for a press conference."