Chapter 5

Glass Bead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Still continuing the flashback several years ago, from the previous chapter...

 

The next day, Yerin and SinB tells everything that happened to Eunha, Yuju, and Umji. The three of them are very surprised, they never expect such an incident like that would happening in their life.

“Then what now? What should we do?" Eunha asked.

“I'm really confused... it's really hard to approach Sojeong Eonnie, especially after what happened last night. I feel that she closed herself away from us. She's getting more and more unreachable..." Yerin down her face listlessly. Her eyes are puffy from crying too much last night.

The five of them are in silent, confuse and sad.

 

Suddenly...

“Girls… does this have anything to do with what Sojeong Eonnie did last night?” Umji asked while showing a news article in her cellphone screen. It's about the theft incident in the area around where SinB collided with Sojeong last night.

“Uhmm… I don't know for sure. But I think... yeah it is... Look, it stated that what was stolen was money and jewellery. That's what also came out of Sojeong Eonnie's bag last night." said SinB, frowning as she read the news more carefully.

"The victim of this theft is a person suspected of being involved in a corruption case, and as far as I remember he was also involved in several cases of land acquisition and evictions." Umji said.

“How do you know something like that?” Yuju asked.

“I'm studying law.... remember? So it's normal if I'm used to looking for this kind of news to learn, as case references.” Umji explained.

"Uhm... I'm having this thought..." said SinB.

"What?" her friends asked.

“Is it possible that Sojeong Eonnie deliberately stole from a bad person like that? Was last night the first? I don't think so... after I think about it again, is it possible that the injuries she got so far were the result or risks of that sort of activities that she did? Then the question is... what have the stolen proceeds been used for? From what I saw last night, that's quite a lot. I think it's enough to buy an apartment that is much more decent than her current flat. Even more if she's done it for few times, then I'm sure it's enough to cover her living expenses for quite a while, she doesn't need to tiring herself more for lots of part-time jobs like she's been doing. But why is she still living the same way? What steal for if turns out she doesn't enjoying what she got?" SinB trying to formulate a hypothesis from her conjectures.

"Uhm... this is interesting though... I feel like I'm reading a detective novel," Eunha said with a small laugh, "hey, when was the date of the incident when Sojeong Eonnie fractured her ribs? Maybe we can browse the internet, just in case there was a theft incident the night before?"

Umji immediately try Eunha's idea by browsing on the internet, "oh gosh, it's really there! Here look!” she said while showing the results of her browsing.

The five of them became excited to recalling when Sojeong was injured and then matched the time by browsing the theft incident at around date. After hours, the data from their investigation was finally collected. It turns out that there is a similarity in mode. The victims of the theft are or suspected corruptors and also rich people who involved in land eviction cases, especially eviction of orphanages.

 

“Uhm… orphanage. I think it's fit to be Sojeong Eonnie's concern, considering her history as an orphanage child for many years." Yuju came to a conclusion.

"Try browsing about the orphanage where Sojeong Eonnie used to live..." Eunha suggesting.

Umji quickly typing on her laptop. Not long after, "it had indeed been evicted. Take a look at this..." Umji said while showing it through the projector on Yerin's bedroom wall, so they could all see it clearly at the same time. They are so enthusiastically investigating, by various technologies and methods. Yerin's room become their headquarters. Each of them is busy browsing using their respective gadgets. If anyone finds something that they feel is related to the Sojeong case, they immediately share the information and discuss it. Umji, who is considered the most careful and thorough, is in charge of recap all the data.

 

“Uhm… it was about a year ago. Their current location is not the same as the one we visited when Sojeong Eonnie still lived there.” Eunha said that she made conclusions from the news results that Umji found and matched them again with the results of her own browsing.

"Girls, look!" Eunha said, while displaying the results of her investigation through a projector so they all could see them.

"Let's pay attention... there are quite large amounts of funds that went into the accounts of orphanages and social assistance institutions, which occurred after the thefts. I guess Sojeong Eonnie thinks she's Robin Hood, stealing from the rich and evil to help those in need. Hahaha…” Eunha explained her findings and conclusions. Can't help but laugh at how innocent Sojeong's intentions are, even though Eunha would still be amazed if her guess was true.

“Oh geez… Eunha Eonnie, you hijacked the national bank website?” Umji screamed in surprise, making the other 3 girls pay more attention to the data display in front of them.

Eunha chuckled, "I couldn't help it... I'm curious, whether if our prediction is true, according to those data that we found, that Sojeong Eonnie gave the stolen money to help the orphanages. I need to see the orphanage's account to make sure. Instead of check on at each bank one by one, it would be more efficient if I check it from the National Bank which coordinates all the banks in this country, hehehe..."

“Hijacking government sites is a serious crime, you know? Eonnie, you could be arrested by the military police because of this..." Umji said worriedly.

"Ah, as long as no one of us here reports it, no one knows." Eunha casually said.

“This kind of thing can be detected, right?...” Yerin worriedly warned.

"I'm not that stupid to let my ID be tracked so easily." Eunha reassuring.

“Wow... I thought all this time you were just enjoying playing games. It turns out you're this sophisticated..." Yuju shook her head, surprised and amazed at Eunha who just grinning.

 

“Oh yeah, I also checked on Sojeong Eonnie's bank account. It appears that not a penny of the stolen proceeds went into her personal account.” Eunha told her friends, then showed it through a projector, "look at this... after working hard with so many side jobs, she only has that much money saved... it's ridicoulus."

The other four girls looking at the numbers explaining how much Sojeong saved, and the information made them sad.

"Gosh... that's all she saved after working so hard all day every day... I regret that yesterday I just bought a branded bag that cost many times more than Sojeong Eonnie's savings, even though I already had a lot and I just piled it in the cupboard." Yerin sadly said.

Her friends also began to reflect on their lifestyle so far.

 

"If we sell all our branded stuffs and combine the money, I think it might be enough for Sojeong Eonnie to build a business that is profitable enough, which can at least ensure for her stable life." Yuju muttered like she was monologuing.

“That's a brilliant idea. I agree. I wish we can really do that.” SinB is supporting.

“I doubt it... wiill Sojeong Eonnie willing to accept it? You know her character, it's hard for her to accept help from other people." Eunha doubted it.

"She doesn't even want to know us anymore... remember?" Yerin said sadly.

“Come on... let's try to approach Sojeong Eonnie again. I don't want to lose her.” Umji said.

 

"But how?…"

That's a question that the five of them can't answer yet.

 

 

A few days later…

That afternoon Eunha and Yuju rushed into a cafe.

“Sojeong Eonnie!” Yuju called, followed by Eunha. They are thoughtlessly passing by the queue of several people who about to order, they are frowned at the two girls, upset that their queue had just been disrespectfully passed.

“Sojeong Eonnie, you have to come with us now.” Yuju urging as soon as she arrived at the outlet table, to the front of Sojeong who was busy taking orders.

Sojeong glanced for a moment as she keep working, serving customers in well and politely manner.

"Sojeong Eonnie~..." Eunha joined in with her cute whine.

Sojeong sigh, trying to control her emotions which were starting to rise, "I'm busy, girls... you guys move aside. Can't you see, there are lots of queues of costumers here?" she said while keep working on the orders.

"But Eonnie, this is very serious!" Yuju insisted.

"What's so serious?" Sojeong asked casually.

"Umji... Umji is sick, Eonnie." Eunha said.

Sojeong was in freez for a moment, but then continue to work.

“Umji is sick because she misses you, Eonnie.” Yuju said.

Sojeong's hands keep on moving to make the customer's order, while she secretly bit her lower lip, worried about Umji. But Eunha and Yuju behind her back didn't see that, so they both kept whining because Sojeong looks doesn't care.

"Come on Eonnie, come with us to see Umji." Yuju whining.

"Umji has a high fever and she's calling your name deliriously," said Eunha.

Sojeong remained silent, busy serving customers.

Eunha snorted, "let me ask your manager for permission." The girl said then go to look for the Café Manager.

Sojeong immediately stopped her, “don't do that. Who said I want to go with you?”

Eunha pouted when she heard that, "You prioritize your work over Umji?!"

"Of course. After all, Umji has you and her family. There are many people taking care of her. Paying any fees also not a problem for her. Then what should I?” Sojeong said casually, even though deep in her heart she's actually worry.

“But Umji wants you now, Eonnie. We and her family cannot cure her sadness. No matter how much we can pay.” Eunha cynically denied.

“She will be fine. And after sometime she and all of you will get used to my absence in your lives." Sojeong said coldly.

"Who said you could leave our lives, Eonnie?! We won't let you go. You can't avoid us!" Yuju shouted in upset.

Sojeong is smirking, letting out a small laugh that seemed mocking, then back focus on her work.

Eunha and Yuju looking at each other, annoyed, not expecting to be treated like that.

 

"We won't leave until you agree to go with us to see Umji!" Yuju threatening while folding her arms in front of her chest.

Sojeong just glanced for a moment as she continued working.

 

An hour...

Two hours…

Three hours…

and so on...

 

Eunha and Yuju still stayed to wait for Sojeong. They had finished several drinks and some food. Eunha tries to pass the time by playing games on her cell phone, while Yuju works on her college assignment making musical composition scores.

As the night went on, the café became busier, Sojeong was also busier serving customers, there was absolutely no time to come to Eunha and Yuju who are waiting for her until they are nodding off.

Is not that Sojeong not see or feel sorry for them, but she deliberately hardening her heart, determined to end her relationship with them. After the incident where Yerin and SinB caught her that night, Sojeong decided that it would be best not to let her friends know more, let alone get involved in what she had been secretly doing all this time. Her secret project, her selfish project is forbidden for those sweet friends of her.

 

The café is about to close, Sojeong and the other employees have started cleaning and preparing to close. Sojeong approached Eunha and Yuju's table.

"We're about to close. If there is no last order, then go home!" Sojeong curtly ordered, while taking all the empty glasses and food containers on Eunha and Yuju's table.

Eunha and Yuju waken up, stretched and yawned, then stumbled to the cashier for their last order.

 

About half an hour later, the Café lights are turned off, then after Sojeong and the employees gets out, the door is closed and locked. Sojeong doesn't expect to find Eunha and Yuju still waiting for her at the front of the Café, even though their faces are clearly very sleepy. Sojeong sighed, pretending not to care, intending to just walk away and leave them behind.

“Hey! Why is Sojeong Eonnie going that way?!” Eunha protested when she see Sojeong, instead of approaching them, she's getting away from them.

Yuju, who is half asleep, immediately completely wake up and then nimbly ran after Sojeong, grabbing Sojeong's arm, "Eonnie, how dare you! We've been waiting for you for hours. Why did you just leave like this?"

"I never asked you to wait for me. I also never said I'm willing to go with you.” Sojeong said curtly.

Yuju immediately frown, clenching her jaw tightly, holding back her anger, then without another word she pulling Sojeong along. “call a cab now!” she command on Eunha who obidiently quickly go to stop a cab.

“Hey! Let me go! I don't want to go with you guys. I don't want to visit Umji. I'm tired. I want to go home. I want to sleep!" Sojeong struggling trying to escape from Yuju's grip, which she never expect before that's quite strong, instead of Yuju's slim body and gentle character that she known all this time.

But Yuju is pulling Sojeong for sure into the cab, while Eunha quickly get into the cab from the other side, then sat down to prevent Sojeong escape.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter