C h a p t e r - 1

Love Is In The Snow

The competition for the males has just ended, and Yoo Si-jin is resting with his other mates after winning the gold medal for the 3rd time this month. They decided to wait and watch the match for the females too as some of them are form their team only. He is drinking water when the host starts to call out the names of the competitors. 

"Let's enjoy the last match for today with the 'Inter-University 250 metres Track, Speed-Skating Females'. So girls, are you ready?"

Everyone comes on the rink.

"On your marks!"

Everyone takes their positions.

"Get set!"

All bent down.

"And go!"

All of them starts skating on the white ice with all their might. There is one certain girl, Si-jin is watching, who is overtaking every competitor, even the one from his university team. But, he is not the only one who has his eyes on her, but maybe everyone, even the host is also talking about her. 

"Okay, so the 'queen' is again on fire, overtaking everyone who is coming in her way. And it's just a matter of time she overtakes the last person too...and there it is, just one lap left and she has already overtaken the last one."

As announced by the host, saying that the 'queen' has overtaken everyone. So, he turns his head to look at the score board, to see the name of the first person, 'Kang Mo-yeon', was written. He then again looked at the rink, knowing that the last lap is about to end. And just as the host as already motioned that the 'queen' is on fire, she is still on the first place. 

"5 metres and all are in their form."

He watches as the match is about to end. All of them has their guards on and just as he had thought, she won the match. While the ones from his university team, Hdragons, were on the 4th and 7th positions.

"So, we have the winner, Kang Mo-yeon, from Myeongin University, give her a big hand."

He watches as everyone congratulates her. And maybe he couldn't notice it before because of her helmet, but now when she has taken it off, he can see how breathtakingly beautiful she is. But that didn't mean he is smitten by her.

"Now I please request the medals to be granted to the winners."

Kang Mo-yeon was awarded the gold medal. While Jin Hi-ae and Han Che-chen from another universities got a silver medal and bronze medal. The runner up was Kim Eun-ji from the Hdragons, who watched the winners with disgust. The more she saw her cousin smiling with the gold medal, the more she got angrier. 

"I have a surprise for all of you.", the host said and everyone looked at him confusingly.

"There is going to be another competition. Between the winner of the males and the females. Firstly, no one was informed beforehand, not even the coaches. And secondly, it is going to be a fun match and I am actually looking forward to who is going to win this unannounced match.", he announced. 

Everyone in the hall looked at the two winners. Who were also surprised and can be seen on the big screen. 

Kang Mo-yeon had already witnessed Yoo Si-jin competing in the match, and she had to say that he wasn't called the 'god' for nothing, also that he is the heartthrob of not only his university but also of other universities, whose female students come to watch the match, or more precisely, him. And now she has to compete with him, which isn't a problem at all because she is not someone who backs down. 

They both are now in the rink, they both looked at each other, which didn't go unnoticed by someone. When they both looked at each other there was nothing in their eyes. They both took their positions. Never said a word to each other.

"So, on your marks, get set and go!"

They both started skating with all their might for the 250 metres match. 

"I think that everyone would be finding it interesting because this isn't between just two winners, but between whom we consider the 'queen' and the 'god'."

Everyone in the match cheers for their team. It was Mo-yeon leading all they way till now, but as the last lap is approaching Si-jin has paced and overtaken her. The last lap was all about them both overtaking each other. And when it was the last 2 metres, they both were equal on their positions. The host grabs a hold of his mic. 

"The last 2 metres and they both are equal. It will be no fun if it is going to be a tie."

They both passed the finish line, not knowing who won.

"Okay, so we don't know what happened here and who won. Even the score board is not able to tell. Maybe we have to take a look at the footage to determine. The footage please."

The last lap is shown on the big screen in slow motion. All the competitors and teams looks at it with hope. Mo-yeon's coach, Ha Ja-ae was trying to look away from a certain someone, who was staring at her. As the big screen shows, they both are equal, but just at the end of the second-last metre, it seems Si-jin speeded up a little more, and it seems that someone has won. 

"On my god! This is incredible. Congrats Yoo Si-jin, he won the match but just by one split-second for goodness's sake. And this also means that the 'queen' and the 'god' has just a difference of one second. Many, many congratulations to Kang Mo-yeon and Yoo Si-jin on their victory."

Mo-yeon doesn't feel disappointed because she already noticed that it was Si-jin who won, even before the recording was played. But, yes, this can't deny the fact that she was quite sad, because all the members of her team including the coach were looking at her with hopeful eyes. 

While at the other side, the Hdragons celebrated their leader's victory. And a certain girl whom she did not want to see at the very moment walked towards her with a sarcastic and taunting smile on her face and said, "I feel very bad for you. But you shouldn't have accepted the challenge. He is the 'god' and I don't know why they call you the 'queen' ", she ended her statement with a wide smile. Who could it be, except for her dear cousin Kim Eun-ji? "You saying these things to me doesn't make any sense, you know. Say that to me once I have lost against you. Okay", Mo-yeon retorted. Eun-ji just turned around and walked away. 

The members of the Myeongin Team congratulated her on the victory. Her coach also appreciated her, "Don't feel down. You did a great job. It was just a split-second, work upon for one second and you are going to win against him", she smiled at the comforting words. 

While Si-jin's mates were congratulating him, he actually found it interesting, in the past years he had done short track speed-skating, he never found someone who was just a second behind him, and that too, a girl. So, he finds it very interesting to have someone with him in competition. 

The hall empties after a few more praises form the host, and everyone leaves. When the teams were boarding their buses, Si-jin finds that the bus which was opposite to them was none other than the Myeongin Team's bus. And the one who was boarding it at that time was the girl he had just skated with. He turns his head to look at her, and as so co-incidence, she also turns her head to him at the exact same moment. And they both locked eyes for a minute. After a minute, they both turned around and boarded their own respective buses, welcomed with cheers from both the sides.

 

Mo-yeon boarded the bus and cheers from the team welcomed her. Ha Ja-ae has already fallen asleep, so did some other members. She sat on beside Pyo Ji-soo, who was wide awake. She looked at her medal, and remembered the time when she first lay her foot on the ice rink. 

She was 5 years old, and her father helped her to get on her legs. She remembered how slippery it was, and how she was not able to stand up, but she had her father supporting her all the way. 

Her remembrance was broken when she heard the sounds that came from behind her. "Si-jin is so handsome, isn't he?", she heard Shin Ji-young speaking to her friend. "I won't mind if he comes all the way to me and proposes to me", she continued and giggled. Ji-soo couldn't hold it in, and said, "Don't bother, that will never happen. I don't think he would have a taste that bad". Mo-yeon grinned at that. Ji-young stood up from her seat, but the immediate brake made her sat down. "What did you just say? He won't have any interest in me? How dare you! First look at yourself and then talk to me", she said angrily. "I have looked at me thousands of times, and every time I just appear nicer than you", Ji-soo retorted. "Oh, really? What do you think the 'god' will come all the way to propose you? Really!", Ji-soo laughed at Ji-young and turned her head to face her, "No, I don't fantasize on that, nor do I have any interest in him. But I am just warning you, because we have a 'queen' too, you know", she said, earning a glare and smack from her friend. "The 'queen'? Kang Mo-yeon, you say? I don't think he will have any interest in her. She sure is pretty, so what?. But I think he would like the girls, who are like flowers, so fragile, and needs someone's protection. Not someone who is tough", Ji-young snorted.

Ji-soo waned to say something but Mo-yeon stopped her, "Yes, so what? Just so you know, I have no interest in him. But, I don't think he would like someone like you. So, all the best in wooing him", Mo-yeon ended her statement with a sarcastic smile. Ji-young didn't say anything anymore. Ji-soo gave a thumps up to Mo-yeon. The bus ride went comfortably after that. 

 

Yoo Si-jin and his team has already arrived team's waiting room. They were all changing and talking about today's event.

"Yoo Si-jin, you really did very good today. I am impressed. If you lost the last match, than we won't be able to roam in the university with our heads up", Choi Woon-geun said. Si-jin smiled at him and placed his bag in his locker. "But, I didn't get the time too look at him skating", Im Gwang-nam said, sounding like he had his mind somewhere else. Si-jin looked at Gong Cheol-ho questioningly, but he just shook his head.

"He is smitten", they heard a voice and turned to look at the person, who was none other Seo Dae-young, Si-jin's best friend, and the team's deputy captain. "He couldn't look at you because he was looking at someone else", he continued. "Hey! I am not smitten. But, did you look at her? She is so beautiful", Gwang-nam snorted. "Hey, Si-jin. Did you talk to her? Did you say something?", Cheol-ho asked. "No, I did not. Do you think I had the time to talk to her? We were in a match. And she was a competitor", he replied.

"You really didn't?", Dae-ypung said in disbelief. Si-jin looked at him. "I can't believe you! She is the most beautiful girl in our circle, and you didn't talk to her. You want us to believe you? Really?", Dae-young said with a smile. "Hey, you! Who are you siding with?", Si-jin snorted. "But, you are at lost, if you really didn't. When you got the chance, you should have. You are not really that shy in this", Cheol-ho said with a wide smile. And this made Si-jin think about something, why did he not talk to her? Hey all, let's celebrate tomorrow, what's say?", Gwang-nam suggested after a log break. Dae-young put his hand on Si-jin's shoulder shoulder and said, "Sorry guys, I can't. I have a date", and left.

 

Mo-yeon was sitting in her university dorm room which she shares with Ji-soo and Min-ji. She was trying to reach out for someone, but that person seemed too busy to answer. After a few rings her best friend accepted the call and answered, "What's wrong? I know you won the match yesterday and I congratulate you for that, but what's it now?", Yoo Myung-ju said albeit like she was whispering. "Why? What is it? Can't I even call you when I feel like? You are hurting me. I want to tell you about someone I had a match with yesterday", Mo-yeon replied annoyingly. "I don't think it's something important. The 'queen' ruled yesterday, again", Myung-ju said. "Then you don't know about anything. I had a match with a man yesterday and I lost it. And I am finding this Super Annoying. Help me clear up my mind", she said sadly.

"What? With a man? And you lost it?", she almost shouted but controlled herself because she knew better than anyone else in the world, how good her best friend is when it comes to speed-skating. "See, listen, this seems interesting and I am middle of something now, so why don't we meet tonight? I want all the details, okay?", Myung-ju suggested.  "Just why in the world did you start dating! And who is this man? I want to meet him", Mo-yeon stood up and shouted causing the other ladies look at her. "Yes, you will meet him, very soon". "Okay. Today, at 7 it is, on the usual spot", she said. "At 7 it is", Myung-ju replied with assurance and turned to look at the man in front of her and smiled. 

 

Myung-ju is now back in her dorm, thinking about the meeting she is going to have. Actually, she should think about the think she has jut returned from, but the topic of the latter appears to be more interesting, having her best friend involved in it. "Myung-ju, how are you? I had a match yesterday, and there were these cookies which were very tasty. So, I thought to bring some to you", this was the voice she did not want to hear . But, she had no other options, when it came from her room partner, Kim Eun-ji. She is so annoying. The worst thing is that, she changes into another person when she talks to her. Maybe because this would let Eun-ji have a good impression on Myung-ju's brother. And also how she acts around her best friend. Though Mo-yeon and her are cousins, they both do not get along. Which makes her even more annoying.

Myung-ju stands up from her chair and says, "It's not necessary, Eun-ji. If you liked them that much, that you even bought these back to dorm, than you should have all these to yourselves. And I am doing well". Eun-ji didn't get to say anything because Myung-ju's phone rang, "I'am sorry. I have to take this", she says. She looks at the caller ID, Eun-ji too manages to catch a glimpse, which didn't go unnoticed by the other. "I will take this", she says.

"Congratulations to the most handsome speed-skater of the century!", she says cheerfully. "So many praises, I am melting already", comes from the other side. "I don't really want to say this but you deserve it. A hatrick. Don't break this streak, Okay?", Myung-ju says mockingly. "Okay, okay. But this was not the only thing that happened yesterday. There is something more. There was a surprise match", the man from the other line said.

"A surprise match? Uhh, wait a minute, there's another call", she tells and looks at the caller ID, to see Mo-yeon written and realizes that it was already 6:45. "Do you want to know about that?", he asks. "Listen, I really can't. I already have an appointment and I need to rush. Can't you wait?", she asks.

"So, you are turning down your very own twin brother for someone else? Who is it?", her brother asks. "It isn't what you think. I am just meeting with my best friend and she has to tell me something. Wait, why don't you also come with us? You also want to tell something, so does she", she asks. "At?", he asks. "dal.com, at 7", she says with hope. "Okay, it's not that far from where I am celebrating right now, but you should hurry, if you want to reach their", he says.

"That's what I am saying. So, are you coming or not?", she asks. "Who is the best friend you just said?", he asks again. "She is a girl from Myeongin University. We were both together in high school, but now I am rotting with you in Haesung", she jokes. "It's fine. I just want to ask one thing. Is she pretty?", he asks questioningly. "She is so beautiful, you can go crazy", she continues after a pause, "Hey! Don't even think about it. She is not someone you can woo just by your looks. Okay? She is not at all easy. Don't even dream about it", she shouted at him and can hear laughs from the other side. "Okay, okay I won't. You should leave. I am also leaving. Will meet you there", he ends the call.

Myung-ju grabs her bag and looks at Eun-ji not wanting to be disrespectful, "I have an important appointment, so I am leaving, I hope you won't mind", Eun-ji smiles and shakes her head. Myung-ju gives her a smile, with a silent 'what an act', screaming in her mind. Just as Myung-ju closed the door of the room, Eun-ji throws the cookies on the sofa and says, "I can't believe that the sister of such a handsome man can be such a !".

 

Hope you like it!