five

Don't Step on My Grave
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now that the touching barrier had fallen, it seemed that it would never come back up again. Neither of them wanted that, so they spent all their time together, except for Joohyun’s working hours.

 

Seulgi noticed the change too since her friend was the happiest she ever had.

 

“Didn’t you hire someone to do that?” Wendy asked, pouting.

 

“Yes, Seungwan, but I can’t expect my employees to work if I don’t set the example. It will only be a couple of hours. Besides, you can visit me anytime.”

 

Wendy smiled. She was right, but that was exactly the reason why it irritated her, to be able to just appear anyplace, anytime. Fortunately for her, she had always been a great actress, and her smile came out genuine.

 

Irene leaned, kissing her softly before leaving.


 

⤖⤖⤖

 

When the investigator came back, Joohyun had already forgotten about him. It had been a month, maybe, but she wasn’t sure.

 

She knew nothing good could come out of it.

 

“Let him in, Joy.”

 

The man seemed different, but she couldn’t understand why. She was sure, however, that he had brought news, be it good or bad.

 

“I hope I’m not disturbing you, Miss Bae.” He apologized, taking a seat in front of her.

 

“Not at all. What brings you back?”

 

She would have preferred anything else, but the man’s words were the most hurtful ones someone had said to her in a long time.

 

“I found her.”

 

Joohyun knew that she had hurt herself because she was thinking of Wendy’s happiness and not hers. It had never mattered how much they loved each other (even if they hadn’t said those words yet), because she knew there wasn’t enough love in the world that could fill Wendy’s hollow heart after her accident. If it was the right thing to do, why did it hurt so much?

 

“I—I have to go…” She babbled, suppressing her feelings as best as she could. “You can give my assistant Joy all the information. I will contact you later to arrange the payment.”

 

The businesswoman didn’t stay to listen to an answer, because she wasn’t asking for permission. Joy looked at her worriedly while she gave her the indication to cancel all her appointments and almost ran to the exit.

 

She almost causes a collision on her way home due to her anxiety. She knew it was good news, it was what she wanted from the moment she felt Wendy’s suffering, still, it didn’t feel great at all.

 

She fought with her keys, letting them fall a couple of times before inserting them in the door.

 

“Seungwan?” She asked, but she was met with silence.

 

“Wendy?!” She tried again, louder, sounding a little desperate for her taste.

 

She frantically searched for her, opening every door, closet, and even looking below the bed, but she wasn’t there.

 

“Please, don’t do this to me again…” she mumbled, like a prayer.

 

She didn’t hear the front door closing, or the hurried steps of a heel clicking against the floor.

 

“Irene? What’s going on?” Seulgi asked, looking at her friend who was sitting on the floor with tears in her eyes. “Joy called, said you didn’t look good after some weird visit from an investigator I didn’t know?”

 

Irene closed her eyes, trying to think. Where could Wendy have gone? It was past six and they hadn’t agreed on a meeting, so s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter