two

Don't Step on My Grave
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two or three weeks later, she couldn’t be sure, Joy knocked on her door office.

 

“Come in.” Irene ushered without lifting her face. “Something happened?”

 

Joy approached the desk.

 

“Miss Bae, I’m sorry for the delay with the information you requested, but it wasn’t easy to find.” Joy put a folder on the desk, opening it on the first page. “Son Seungwan, twenty-four years old. Chaebol daughter. Three years ago she was abducted from a car where she was with two bodyguards and the driver. The search lasted… let me see… close to one year, there were a lot of private investigators and they also paid three ransoms, but they never found her. Not her body, or anything else. So, she has been declared dead since then and there was some kind of memorial.”

 

Irene listened, and her mind started to work.

 

“Joy, please find the last investigator they hired. Did they know anything about the kidnappers?”

 

“Yeees… here it is. One of the rescues went wrong and they killed one of them, the other serves… life imprisonment, so they never knew where she was.”

 

“Do you know in which prison is he?”

 

Joy rummaged through the documents.

 

“Yes, here it is,” she pulled one page and left it on the desk. “Do you need anything else, Miss Bae?”

 

“No, that’s all. You can go.”




 

It was eight o’clock when Irene finished her work of the day. She was the only one left on her floor. She took the documents Joy gave her and turned the lights off. It was Friday and she hadn’t talked to Wendy in three days. She felt bad because she wasn’t even visiting her husband anymore. His death still hurt, but her life was slowly going away because she couldn’t move one. She had lost friends and family because of that.

 

She walked all the hallway to the elevator and hit the down button. While waiting, she heard a noise. The elevator’s doors opened up and Irene screamed.

 

“Aaaaaah! What are you doing?! Do you want me to die?!”

 

Irene’s tone took Wendy by surprise, but she didn’t address it. She made space for Irene to enter the elevator.

 

“I’m so sorry. I… missed you and I thought about surprising you.”

 

The businesswoman felt the guilt climbing .

 

“No, no, it’s fine. I was just scared. How did you get here?”

 

“I told you, I’m everywhere. You aren’t that hard to find.”

 

Being with Wendy always changed her mood on a whole 360°. She was happier now, but she still was worried about what Joy told her. Wendy didn’t seem to remember any of that.

 

“You look tired,” Wendy said. “Is it a bad time? I can go if you want…”

 

“I am tired, but it is not a bad time. In fact, I feel better now.” She reassured, making her car beep with her keys. “What did you do these last three days?”

 

Wendy seemed to think while Irene searched for her car in the parking lot.

 

“I went on a trip. I didn’t do much, actually. I thought a lot about you and my past life.”

 

“Did you remember something new?” Irene asked, opening her Rolls Royce.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter