one

Don't Step on My Grave
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Joohyun sat in front of her husband’s grave, breathing deeply. It had been two years since his death, but she still found it hard to get over it.

 

“I miss you,” she muttered. “I’ll come back tomorrow, I have to go now.”

 

When she tried to stand up, she lost her balance, falling over the next grave.

 

“Ouch,” Joohyun said.

 

“Look where you’re going,” A voice told her with an annoyed tone.

 

It startled Joohyun, who started looking everywhere from her spot on the floor.

 

“I’m going crazy…” She tried to stand up again, failing.

 

“I’m the one going crazy. I’ve listened to your rambling and endured you stomping for two years now.” The voice said again.

 

Joohyun looked around frantically, incapable of seeing the person that spoke to her.

 

“I’m down here, you idiot. Can you, please, step aside?”

 

Joohyun looked at the nameplate on the grave she was on.

 

“Son Seungwan?” Joohyun inclined her head, saying the name aloud.

 

“I prefer to be called Wendy, but I guess it’s fine. Now, please step aside.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, I’m sorry.”

 

Joohyun stood up with a lot of effort, covered in mud.

 

“Thank you. Show some respect for the dead next time.”

 

“I could say the same to you,” Joohyun says, massaging between her eyebrows. “Stop hiding wherever you are. This is highly offensive as I see it, whoever you are.”

 

“I already told you I’m Wendy, and I’m down here. Actually, I’m everywhere anytime.”

 

Dizziness overcame Joohyun’s body.

 

“Why can’t I see you?” She asked, “Are you behind that tree?”

 

Wendy spoke so low that Joohyun couldn’t hear it.

 

“I’m not hiding. I did not choose to be down here, and I would rather not show myself since I think you would faint.”

 

“Maybe I already fainted or I’m hallucinating. How could I be speaking to a dead person if my husband has never answered to me?”

 

Wendy kept silent, trying to answer the question in the softest way she could.

 

“I don’t know, he was luckier than me, I guess. I’m the one that listened to you for years, I practically know all about you.”

 

“This… can’t be.” Joohyun took a couple of steps back, shaking her head.

 

“Hey, wait! Will you come back?” Wendy yelled, “Nooo, please come back!”

 

But Joohyun was already gone.

 

⤖⤖⤖

 

“...and I left. Do you think something finally broke inside me?”

 

The therapist looked at her for a second.

 

“I’m pretty sure what you have is just stress, miss Bae. I already advised you not to go every day to the cemetery. That doesn’t do you any good.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter