The Hello Disorder

//Drabbles//

//Non-Idol AU, two souls fated to be together meet on a bus in the late hours of the night. Donghae's POV//

 

The brakes to the creaky bus came to a halt as the rusty doors opened, letting on an elderly man with a cane, and a young man dressed in dark clothing. 

I sighed, noticing the guy with the dark hoodie covering his face. He gets on the same bus every night like I do, routinely requesting to get off at the stop just miles from mine. I don't know his name, and I never will. 

The absolute anonymity of this route was certainly lonely, but I preferred it that way. Each person on the bus was like a ghost or phantom; quiet, lingering, and just waiting to move on. 

I absentmindedly fiddled with my apartment keys, feeling the distinct jagged shape under my fingertips and tossing them from my right hand to my left. I tried to keep the jingling sound to a minimum, because I knew some sleep-deprived folks on this vehicle that wouldn't appreciate the extra noise at nearly 4 AM. 

The bus came to yet another halt. 

I glanced outside shortly, knowing perfectly well where I was, but just wanting to make sure. 

And right on time, he walked onto the bus. I had been waiting for him. He handsomely ran his fingers through his styled hair, messing it up quite a bit, but I didn't mind at all. He tossed his head around, examining all of the empty seats on the grimy city bus, until he met my eyes. My heart jumped into my throat.

"Oh? I remember you! You took this bus last night, right?" He said, pointing at me with an infectious smile. 

I nodded, acknowledging his memory because yes, I remembered him too. How could I forget? 

"Mind if I sit next to you?" He asked politely, his body already greeting the ripped up fabric on the seat, even though his expensive looking suit that he wore to his upscale office job shouldn't ever be exposed to dirty materials such as this.

"Go ahead. I could use the company." I replied, the city lights roaming past at quick speeds, contrasting with the unreachable blackness that they couldn't illuminate with their multiple colors.

I loved the way the pink and green neon signs would make his hair and face turn into something inhuman. His pale skin absorbed the fragments of bright colors so well. 

He checked his phone briefly before gazing up at me, his eyes drooping and his mouth slightly parted. He looked exhausted. 

"So, you work in Seoul?" I tried to make conversation. After all, I didn't even know his name, and I probably never will.

His kind eyes were barely staying open, but he nodded as an answer. 

"Do you mind if I just...rest my eyes a bit?" He his full lips nervously, as if I'd turn him down. 

"I don't mind. What's your stop?" 

"It's about...seven stops away. I won't be here to bother you for much longer." He added, sheepishly grinning that wide smile I've only seen a small number of times, but he took my heart with him every time.

"Don't worry about it. I'll wake you up when we get there. Get some sleep." I whispered, returning a tiny grin and glancing out the window at the passing cars. 

"Thanks. I guess I owe you one." 

"I guess so." 

He slumped back into the seat comfortably, letting out an exhale. His incredibly nice suit brushed slightly against the sleeve of my ratty old sweatshirt, and that didn't seem quite right, but I didn't care. It felt right.

He closed his eyes, and I couldn't help but begin counting his prominent eyelashes once I was sure he was deeply asleep. 

A few bumps on the road caused his body and mine to inch closer on the terribly upholstered bus seat, and finally his head rested on my shoulder. I stiffened, but slowly relaxed, toying with my keys nervously. I heard soft snoring noises coming from his mouth, and I chuckled a bit. 

While he slept, the old man with the cane eventually took his time getting off the bus, and a young lady also stepped off the vehicle with her high heels clacking loudly behind her. 

I noticed how his head fit pretty well on my shoulder, but eventually I had to give in and tap him on the arm to alert him of our destination. 

"Huh? M-my stop? Already?" He groggily mumbled almost incomprehensibly, but I still smiled at him. 

"Yeah, the next stop is yours. Just thought I'd let you know." 

"Was I...laying on you? Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that..." He gathered his stuff together, placing his phone in his pocket, but never leaving my stare. 

"Oh, I mean...yeah, you were, but I didn't mind. Long day, right?" I assured him, patting him on the shoulder as he got up from the seat, briefcase in hand. 

"Yeah, I'm happy to be going home. I guess I'll see you around?" He began walking towards the front of the bus, waving a little as he exited. 

"I hope so." I said as soon as he was out of ear-shot. I gave him a slight wave as he set off down the sidewalk. He seemed to shine pretty brightly whenever he walked underneath the golden streetlights. 

I sighed. 

I hope so.