always

i'm here for you, always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You did not account to the fact that you would be heartbroken about losing your job.

Okay, technically… You did not lose your job. You still had it. You just quit. Now, your phone was blowing up with Yunho, the owner of the start-up company. The company you had given your heart and soul to because you were so invested in making everything work.

“Someone would think you’re in a toxic relationship with the dude,” Sehun said, peering over your shoulder, reading the long email that Yunho had sent to you. It was approximately three paragraphs long and was saying the same things over and over again.

“I have realized that I need you in the company and you have been a vital part in the progress—” Sehun read before he gave you a look. “You are not thinking of going back there and working for that egomaniac.”

You had your hoodie tightened around your face, only your eyeballs showing as you stared at the email. You had to use every will of every power in your body to not type back: I will see you at work tomorrow.

“Omona,” Sehun breathed, a hand reaching over as he placed it on the top of your head. “You are in a toxic relationship. Holy . Get up. We need to do something.”

You hated how Sehun knew that it was bothering you. You did feel deep down that you lost a baby (a.k.a your job) that you had adopted as your own. You brushed your teeth, not even bothering to put on makeup as you dressed yourself in your sweatpants and sweatshirt.

Sehun planned to bring you to the movies. He had always called this a “detox” every time you went through a hard time. You see, he had always seen you go through this multiple times before. Sad? Movie. Mad? Movie. Want to feel like a boss after a breakup? Movie.

Or maybe icecream with flakes.

He watched as you sullenly pulled your hood over your head, staring into the mirror. He couldn’t help but smile because you reminded him so much of the person you were in university.

The first time he knew that you loved movies was when you had your first fight with Kyungsoo. Honestly to Sehun, it was a fight that made no ing sense. Kyungsoo wanted to some space, you didn’t understand why he needed it.

It didn’t surprise Sehun that Kyungsoo wanted space. You, at the first months of your relationship with Kyungsoo, had become so co-dependent on him that Kyungsoo mentioned once to Sehun that you were beginning to suffocate him.

Well, Sehun always thought that you being co-dependent was cute but then again…. Kyungsoo was always one who valued space. Sehun, in the other hand, always liked his partner being codependent on him.

Therese never was. 

“I just wanted to spend quality time with him,” you hiccupped as your shoveled cornflakes in your mouth even if it was dinner time. “And my love language is one! Quality time. Two! Words of Affirmation. Three! Acts of Service….”

Sehun wasn’t listening after that as your tears streamed down your face. Obviously, you took the fact that Kyungsoo didn’t want to spend the weekend with you the hard way and Sehun was left to piece you back together.

“I… just… don’t…” You sobbed. Sehun had never seen you so sensitive before.

You were literally sitting on his bed (And usually you wouldn’t because he was in a frat-house, and you would always say… ‘How many times did you on this bed?’ leaving him to scowl and spare you the many times he’d slept with a woman after a party)

“Don’t?” Sehun asked, his phone buzzing before he saw a text from Kyungsoo who texted.

Kyungsoo: is she ok
Kyungsoo: should I come get her
Kyungsoo: just wanted space didn’t want war

Sehun stared at the text, and he knew at that time that he could make you crying go away just by letting Kyungsoo know where you were. By telling him to come and comfort you but he didn’t. Sehun didn’t understand why he did it—maybe he wanted to be the one to comfort you. Maybe he realized that maybe it was best he did it.

Sehun: nah shes fine
Kyungsoo: cool

But you were not fine then, and you were broken because you did not want to seem ‘too much’. Sehun wouldn’t know that it changed you. Because of what Kyungsoo needing space and Sehun lying that you were fine led to Kyungsoo thinking you were okay with him acting the way he was.

“I just don’t understand why he doesn’t bring me on his trips when he knows he’s going to be gone for like two weeks,” you said sadly. “I’m beginning to think that I love him more than he loves me.”

You closed your eyes.

“I swear to god after today,” you said to Sehun, lifting your pinky finger in the air as a promise. “I will never… never ask for his time ever again.”

That was when Sehun learned that when you were scorched by fire, you were the type to avoid it all together. You were the type to shut down and not say anything. You were the type to retreat into nothingness and it would leave Kyungsoo wondering what had happened to you.

And every time Kyungsoo asked you, “Why are you so distant?”, you’d answer with a “Because I love you”, and it would leave Kyungsoo confused.

So back then, while you were sobbing on Sehun’s bed with your ugly pajamas on, he had suggested a movie. He noticed how you perked up almost immediately—not 100%, just maybe enough for you to nod and demand for chips and icecream with flakes.

That was how it was, you next to Sehun with the room out even if it was 3 pm in the afternoon because the curtains were drawn and “Thief Lord” playing.

“I love Cornelia Funke,” you announced to the room while eating only the flakes and not the ice cream. “She’s so underrated.”

“Didn’t the movie, like, tank real bad?” Sehun asked, frowning. He had heard that Thief Lord turned into a movie (the one you were watching with him now), it was just that the box office didn’t do so well.

“It’s my comfort movie,” you told him. “Two siblings running away from an orphanage and finally finding a found family that’s going to stand up for them? Isn’t that comforting?”

“So, like… A frat boy that’s being accepted into a frat house?” Sehun asked. You nodded, the analogy fitting whatever you were feeling. “I guess that is comforting.”

It was comforting to you because you ended up with your head leaning on Sehun’s shoulder, the male stiffening up for a moment as you sniffed against the tissue that was rolled and stuffed into your nostrils.

“You know,” Sehun said that night as your sobs died down and you were left with a vessel of a limp body that was staring into nothing. “I don’t know what Kyungsoo said, but you aren’t ‘too much’.”

You blinked at his words, and it was the first time he had seen you look at him with appreciation. He paused for a moment as you tilted your head up, sniffling your snot.

Right at that moment, his nose brushed against yours and Sehun wanted to tell you whatever he was feeling. That Kyungsoo’s ‘too much’ was not ‘too much’ for him. And whatever you did, it would never be too much for him.

Except that as the movie went on and he felt your breath against his cheek, you whispered.

‘If only Kyungsoo thought the same’, your voice echoing in his ear.

And that was when Sehun knew for a fact that you loved Kyungsoo. He would be a bad person to make you think otherwise. So, he agreed.

“I’m sure Kyungsoo doesn’t think you’re too much,” he replied.

Of course, the next day he talked to Kyungsoo and hit him with the “Please spend more time with her. Even if you’re just doing nothing. All she wants to do is to be with you.”

Kyungsoo took his advice and there you were—back to being happy with Kyungsoo just because of him.

He was now years after, trying to comfort you from your realization that a job wasn’t good for you. He decided to drag you to the movie theatres despite your non-make up face and your pajama bottoms that you refused to change out of.

“Movie. Now,” Sehun demanded, and you were now on the car in the passenger’s seat as he drove the car towards the nearest movie theatre. He didn’t even bother to ask you what kind of popcorn you wanted.

It was a Marvel movie and you followed him because you had no choice. As you sat in the theatre, you watched as Black Widow died and you burst out in tears, liquid spilling down your cheeks. Sehun knew you weren’t crying over the death of a Russian spy in the marvel universe, but more of the job that you were so invested in, so he reached over and grabbed your face.

He tilted it towards his shoulder, patting your cheek repeatedly.

“Do you think I did the right thing to quit?” You asked, turning your face towards him just like you did in university, soaking his shoulder with your tears. “Do you think I’m going to be okay?”

“Shhh!” Someone behind you both shushed and Sehun turned back to give them a look before turning his attention back towards the screen.

Sehun thought your question showed how insecure you really were in yourself. He didn’t say that, however, and just smiled. He kissed your forehead and told you to focus on the movie. Once it was over, you were increasingly becoming a mess.

“Bathroom,” you told Sehun, and he told you he’d wait in front of the theatre for you.

Upon entering the bathroom and doing what nature asked of you, you heard the doors open and a group of girls walked in. There was a soft snicker while the began to gossip freely about boys and their upcoming dates.

You weren’t one to eavesdrop, but it was hard when it was the only thing you could focus on.

“Talking about men, did you see that tall guy in the gray shirt? Ugh, he’s so hot, no?”

“Is it the guy wearing Taywin shoes?” One of the girls asked before squealing. “Didn’t he come with his girlfriend?”

“Ew…” The first girl said, and you frowned. “They look like they are worlds apart. Don’t you think they might be siblings?”

Sehun did wear Taywin shoes to the movies. You knew it was him they were talking about— they were the exact same kind of shoes you gifted Sehun on one of his birthdays. The first time you introduced Sehun to Taywin shoes was when it was his birthday when you had no idea what to give him.

“I don’t think you need to give anything,” Kyungsoo told you. “I’m baking him a cake. And the frat house is throwing a party for him. I’m sure if you’re there, he’ll enjoy your presence just as much.”

“I know, but I want to get him something,” you told Kyungsoo, leaning against his shoulder before looking up. Kyungsoo kissed your eyes.

“You’re kind, sweetie. Nothing too expensive, okay?” Kyungsoo knew that whatever you put your mind into, you’d do it and he wouldn’t be able to change your mind. “How about shoes?”

That was it. Sehun was a sneaker boy. Everyone in the frat house except Suho was a sneaker boy. With your limited budget and excel skills, you ended up cross referencing the prices and quality and came to the conclusion that Taywin would be a relatively good brand to gift to someone.

You bought him dress shoes instead.

At the party, after the song and the loads of alcohol, you gifted it to him. Kyungsoo watched as you shyly passed him the box and Sehun looked surprised. He had never gotten a “gift” before. It always came as dinners, parties, and food.

This was your first proper gift to Sehun, the man accepting the box before clearing it throat.

“Shoes,” you told him, your shyness disappearing and being replaced by nervousness. “It has a thirty day return so if it isn’t to your liking, you can return it. It is your size. I asked Kyungsoo. And also… I made an excel sheet for other brands that—”

“An excel sheet?” Sehun asked incredulously before he threw his head back and laughed. A hand went to cup your cheek, Sehun feeling Kyungsoo’s eyes on him before he dropped it.

He took a step towards you, pulling you in his arms and giving you a tight hug. Not too long as he liked, but a lingering one so you’d know he appreciated you.

“I love it already. I’ll wear.”

You sighed, pulling your sweatpants up and going to wash your hands. The girls passed a look onto you. You were one who didn’t usually care. These had happened many times before – people judging someone like you for being close to Sehun.

“Sorry…” One of the girls said and you turned to her, a hand reaching out for a tissue. “Uh… It’s just—”

“He’s my best friend,” you told them. You took a deep breath. “He’s a great guy. He’s single.”

Almost single, you thought. If you count the fact that he had to get a divorce to be single. Just like that, there was a sense of relief that visibly passed through them. As if the fact that he was not dating you had canceled the fact that they said you and Sehun were “worlds apart”.

You exited the bathroom without another word to see Sehun chatting up the popcorn lady who had hearts behind her eyes. She was an older lady who probably had kids, the female greeting you with her eyes.

“Oh, this must be the lucky lady!” She exclaimed, giving Sehun a playful slap on the shoulder. “She’s so beautiful.”

“More like worlds apart,” you muttered under your breath, Sehun turning to frown at what you said.

“Say again?”

You shrugged, gloomily tugging on the hood of your hoodie when the girls exited the entrance of the front of the cinema. Their gaze lingered on Sehun for a little too lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter