[2]

Not Young K, but Younghyun

"It's IU." She said casually from the other side, not knowing the effect it caused to him right now.

 

As much as Younghyun tried to remain calm and cool as ever, he didn't find himself being what he expected. He stuttered, “Y-yes...I know.”

 

“Oh? Do you know it’s me already? But this is the first time I called you, though?” IU sounded surprised, chuckling, “I thought maybe you should be surprised knowing it is me. Have you probably saved my number before?”

 

Younghyun’s face flushed red. Oh shoot. His mind was foggy for sure.

 

However, although it was true that he had saved her number, he never thought it would be the first thing IU said to him on the phone when they had never met and never spoke a word in real life and he wasn’t ready for it. And - was she just teasing him? He knew IU was playful, but has IU always been this playful – even towards someone she barely knew?

 

When his mind was slowly cleared up and he realized she was really teasing him, his heart dropped due to the realization that she must’ve looked at him as another fanboy. Ah, but of course. She was his sunbae after all, and a few months older in age, to be exact – did he really expect her to look at him as a person, as a man? Someone to look up to?

 

Younghyun sighed. However, he was almost convinced that he was a cool person. At least, that was what he thought Young K was (although he knew well that Younghyun was rather clumsy). He was sure he had been presenting him that way in front of other artists and seniors especially to those he wasn’t close to (Jukjae wasn’t included – they were friends, almost like him and Wooyoung), or to those who hadn’t seen his daily life, and he was sure that people saw him that way too, except probably My Days who had seen his pre-debut days or his other foolish things but not IU. Definitely not IU. It had always been like that, he thought, until this moment, where IU made him feel like he was nobody but Younghyun – the clumsy one. Someone s always teased easily. Someone she could tease this easily.

 

“Ah-” He scratched the back of his head, suddenly feeling shy, despite trying so hard to maintain his image as Young K. The cool Young K. He never thought Young K as a shy person, but the way IU was playing around with the image he had about himself was surprising. “I was-”

 

Younghyun was never this speechless even towards a senior 10 years older than him. Was this what My Day had to go through each time they had a chance to do high touch? Some of his fans often cried during fan sign events. So feels it like this, being a fan? But he was fine meeting Key weeks ago – although he was someone he looked up to. He was fine meeting Taeyeon a while ago?

 

Why was he stuttering, now?

 

(Obviously, because I have a crush on her, duh)

 

“I was just kidding,” IU said, chuckling, causing his heart to beat faster. It wasn’t right. It was 2 AM. Her voice was as clear as ever. “I hope I’m not interrupting your time, I mean, since it’s 2 AM.”

 

“Not at all!” He said, almost shouted, sounded like asking for war. He must’ve gone crazy. It was truly chaotic inside his mind. He tried his best to calm down – Young K had always been good at it. “I mean, no, it’s fine, I’m not... doing anything right now.” No, he was almost shut down.

 

He waited for another answer, but when there wasn’t any, so he initiated a question, “May I know what brings you to call me, IU-ssi?”

 

“It’s so sudden, isn’t it?” She asked back, sounding so friendly he didn’t expect he would have the chance to hear this personally. “And I’m not doing a shooting right now if you probably wonder.” She chuckled in between.

 

Of course, because again, it’s freaking 2 AM.

 

“I was just going to say that I am recently listening to your songs. They are really good songs, and my father apparently likes them too.”

 

Younghyun could feel fireworks and butterflies in his stomach – the excitement somehow felt like a cramp, but a nice cramp – and the ends of his mouth raised from ear to ear without him realizing.

 

Wait, but, recently? Something suddenly occurred to his mind.

 

Not just - today? He had just told Jukjae to tell her about the song earlier today. They couldn’t have met immediately, had they?

 

She has been listening to his songs, recently?

 

He blinked, out of joy, he felt like he was close to tears.

 

But ignoring the fun stuff, realizing that IU said this to him after listening to his songs made him wonder if she said this to every singer she listened to (could it be, because she was so nice?) but he figured out it was rather impolite and nosy. (But really, does she really tell the singers of the songs she listens to, that she listens to them?)

 

So, he instead asked an even stupider question. “IU-ssi, but, may I ask where you got my number from?”

 

IU was so cool when she answered, “It’s from Wonpil-ssi. We talked recently and I told him I was listening to your songs. He said I should’ve told you directly, so I thought out he was right, but since we don’t seem to have any occasion to meet in person, I figured I could’ve just told you through a call. I hope you don’t find me impolite for suddenly reaching out to you first.”

 

“No, no, of course, no.” young ensured. “I’m so humbled. Thank you for listening to my songs. I mean, for a big star and senior like you…”

 

His mind, on the other side, wondered – it wasn’t from Jukjae, then? It was Wonpil?

 

“Ah no no no… I’m just like you.” She sounded so sincere and honest. “I’m just a bit longer in this industry. I’m sure you’ll do even greater.”

 

Younghyun had no words to reply. Again, she was smart with her words. So he only nodded, and when he remembered he was on the phone, he said, “I mean, really, thank you.”

 

“Why do you keep saying thank you though? It’s getting funny now.” IU chuckled, teasing once again. There was no way Younghyun remained Young K this way. There was probably no Young K in IU’s eyes. He was just another hoobae. That perfect, cool, wonderful, and amazing Young K only existed for My Day. Of course. What had he always been thinking?

 

“Ah, really….”

 

There was a pause, then, “IU-ssi, would you like to have a copy of my album? I can send it to you.” Younghyun asked, trying to sound as composed as he could be.

 

“For free? You won’t charge me?” She joked again.

 

“Of course,” He answered.

 

“Of course, then.” She copied him. “Do you want a copy of my album too? I mean it’s not that new but well…”

 

“I mean, sure!” – o-oh, too excited. He lost at it again.

 

“Okay then.” IU agreed. “But rather than sending it to my address, why don’t we meet somewhere? So I can give you my album too.”

 

Younghyun blinked. One. Two. Three seconds.

 

“Hello, Young K-ssi?”

 

“O-oh, sure.” Ah, stuttering, “Please inform me where and when I’ll be there.”

 

IU agreed. “Alright, I’ll text you the time. But since you’re the busy one now, you shall pick the time. I’ll follow.”

 

“A-alright? Then... I understand.”

 

“Alright. See you then.”

 

“See you.” He was almost hanging up, then quickly added, “And thank you again, IU-ssi.”

 

“Cut it already,” She chuckled. “I’m hanging up.”

 

“Okay,” He nodded.

 

Then she hung up, and he took a deep deep breath as he realized he was almost holding his breath the whole time. Younghyun was speechless.

 


 

The next morning, Younghyun was restless. He woke up only to quickly called his hyung, asking for an explanation.

 

HYUNG, DID YOU TELL HER?”

 

“Kind of, but not really,” Jukjae answered casually. “What’s with the surprise in the morning?”

 

“SHE CALLED ME. SHE FREAKING CALLED ME. I MEAN-” Younghyun took a deep breath, then suddenly whined. “But... I think I was so embarrassed and shy and… I was speechless. She asked to meet… I don’t think I can face her at this point. Ah, it was so embarrassing.”

 

Jukjae chuckled.

 

“But hyung, she said she has listened to my songs recently. That means… SHE KNOWS ME, RIGHT?”

 

Jukjae chuckled. “Then that means she knows you.”

 

“Ey…” Younghyun sighed in relief, but then, “But hyung…”

 

Jukjae listened, waiting.

 

“She must’ve thought I was an idiot... right? Ah, it’s so embarrassing. Younghyun was such a fool. I wanted her to see me as Younghyun though….”

 

Jukjae laughed, but he didn’t say much other than convincing him it was alright.

 

After taking time to meditate (and accepted what happened), Younghyun talked to Wonpil about it, who only laughed and told him he was indeed crazy. Wonpil had been keeping in touch with IU just fine, and being a fanboy himself, he wasn’t as hyped as Younghyun jus now. Dowoon, on the other hand, nonstop.

 

In the afternoon, before he left for another schedule, he decided he had to message IU first.

 

Younghyun | 12.10

IU-ssi, thank you so much for listening to my songs and reaching out to me first. It meant a lot to me.

 

IU | 12.25

Thank you for making great songs.

 

Younghyun was still wondering what to reply next when another chat popped up.

 

IU | 12.26

Also, aren’t we the same age though?

Shall we use banmal, instead?

You can also call me Lee Jieun.

 

Once again, Younghyun was taken aback. It made him even more nervous having a chance to call her by her real name instead of her stage name. With trembling fingers, he typed down,

 

Younghyun | 12.27

I get it, Jieun-ssi.

 

Then,

 

IU | 12.27

Hey, drop the honorific already! 😄

And also, I never think you are an idiot. I believe you’re still a fun and cool person to be with, Younghyun-ssi!

 

Bursting with feelings but at the same time having realization coming right at him, he clenched his fist, muttering, Jukjae hyung!!!! - but, as he re-read the message once again, and again, relief rush through his body that he felt he could breathe better. It wasn’t so bad after all, being seen as Younghyun. It was even better than what he had imagined. After all, he didn’t need to force himself being the perfect Younghyun. He just needed to be Kang Younghyun, simply as he was, even in front of IU – Lee Jieun.

 

The realization itself made him smile widely.

 

 

FIN

 

 


The idea just occured to my mind and I took really short time writing this - although it turned out a bit too long. I hope this turned out well, though!

I love both IU and YoungK, and have never seen them interracting with each other. The fact that they're the same age and are so thoughtful about many things drawn me so yeah... I hope there's someone out there thinking the same way!