4. [Trans/Nonbinary]

Coming Out Letters [Templates]

Dear Parents,

I'm sending you both this long messege because it's really important. So please read all of this.

Everytime we ever had in depth personal conversations I would always lie because I thought you wouldn't accept me. Like that one time when I got in trouble you two asked me if I like girls. If I was coming out as lesbian or bi or pan, you could guess how the rest of this letter/messge would go. However, this is different.

I've never felt completely feminine. I've always grown up in a christian home where god made you perfectly and if you go against that your wrong. I never have liked dresses or skirts because of the society I grew up in where clothes were gendered.

I always thought skirts and frilly dresses along with flowers and rainbows were all feminine. Your probably wondering where this is going so I'm going to speed it up and tell you straight forward.

Im trans...

Specifically, I identify as Nonbinary which is an umbrella term to describe people whose gender is neither man or woman; can also be used as an individual gender identity for someone who is neither a woman nor a man, but does not identify further. For me specifically, I do not feel like a man or a woman I'm kind of both but neither.

So I would appreciate it if you could call me by my new name ____ and use my new pronouns [he/they], my pronouns may change depending on how I feel.
Right now I want to focus on just getting a binder, but in the future if allowed I would like to take minoxidil(causes hair to grow), along with testosterone, and top surgery. Maybe I could get a haircut? I know the last time I asked you weren't a fan so I'm asking again...

I know it's a lot that I want to happen. It doesn't have to happen right now, but I want some of the hormonal therapy to happen while I'm in my puberty phase so my body ddoesn't have to drastically change after finishing puberty.
Speaking of phases, this is not a phase. It isn't some trend, or a prank. Truth be told I've been worrying about telling you. I planned ahead to when and how I'm going to tell you. I've been sitting in my bed crying thinking about what might happen is I came out. I'm a pessimistic person so those scenarios didn't exactly work out.

I'm so nervous telling you and the family because I feel like you won't support me. I've already seen the clear transphobia, homophobia, etc. Im so worried about this whole religion thing that I can't sit still.
I understand adjusting to my new name and pronouns may be hard and that you may mess up sometimes and I get that. I just want to know that your supporting me, your child, in what I want.

If you have questions, I want to talk about them and help answer them. I also understand you may want to speak with other parents of trans children to learn more. There are plenty of resources for parents and families in person and online, and I am happy to show you some of them.

Thank you for your understanding and your support,

[Your name]

P.S. Please don't out me. Please let me come out on my own.