Chapter 2

Why Didn't You Stay In New York?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

​​​​​

Chapter Two: Name for A Name...

 

I must be the biggest idiot on earth! 

That's what repeatedly played in my head as Grandpa and I sat at the table for dinner. I know I've never been the best at first impressions, but hitting a girl like she was the door had to be my worst work yet. 
"Hanbin, your food is getting cold." Grandpa said inching a side-dish in my direction. I shook my thoughts away as I repositioned the chopsticks in my hand, it really wasn't a big deal. Or at least that's what I'm choosing to believe. Afterall, was it really my fault that she decided to open the door at the exact second I was knocking? No. And it wasn't like I could stop myself that quickly, I'm not freaking spider-man or something; my reflexes are purely that of a humans. "Okay," Grandpa finally said, setting his own utensils down, "what is going on in that oversized head of yours." He asked. 

"Gee, thanks for the compliment." I said with a blank stare. "There's nothing going on in my normal-sized head." I already knew he'd be able to tell I was lying, but I didn't think he would catch on to what was really going on in my mind. 

"Let me take a wild guess then, you feel embarrassed about hitting the young lady?" The knowing look on his face irked me. 

"W-what? Of course not, that was a freakish accident--one that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't made me come with you, might I add." I stuffed a piece of beef into the back of my cheek. Honestly, I could be out hanging out with my friends right now, but no, I just had to go meet the new Asian kid in the city. We lived in a big city, for goodness sake, if her mom wanted a guide with the same ethnicity as her daughter why not go loiter around the high school and find a better one. I wasn't exactly the perfect influence, my grandpa should know that well. 

He hummed, chewing his food slowly, "You know, Ms. Colms was the one who asked me to look out for her daughter while they're here, I thought it was only right to properly introduce ourselves." He explained the reason he suddenly decided to become social. "And It's not like staying in for one night is hurting you." 

"I never said it was." I mumbled between bites. Something else struck me as odd, "What's their deal anyway? A mother and her adoptive daughter asking an old man to look out for them, don't they seem a bit off?" Maybe I was just being judgmental, but like I said, they seem off.

"You don't know if she's adopted." Apparently we also don't know her name, I was hoping he'd say it. "You're being presumptuous, Hanbin." He lightly scolded. 

I gave him an odd look, "I don't think that's very presumptuous at all; I mean I have eyes, there's clearly something different about the both of them." Many things actually, for one Ms. Colms (as my grandpa called her) has very red hair, and freckled skin, all things that indicate she is very white. Whereas, her daughter looked fully Korean. It's really as simple as that. 

My grandpa sighed, "It's none of our business, and I'm more than happy to look out for them, and I expect you to do the same." 

I groaned, "Yeah, whatever." I stood up from my seat, not really in the mood for dinner, "I'm done." Is all I said before leaving the kitchen.

"Inez, wake up!" Mom's voice echoed all the way into my room, we really needed to finish unpacking so the place was a little les

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter