Prologue

Why Didn't You Stay In New York?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

One Year Ago From Present Day

 

I woke up, pain making me gasp as soon as I shifted my weight in the bed. Beeping sounds around me, confirming that I was not in my bed. "You're awake!" Someone shouted beside me, sounding like pain was fleeting from them--are we switching places? Is that why I suddenly started aching so badly? Because this woman gave me all of her pain. "Nurse!" She yelled repeatedly, not helping the throbbing pain by my temple. In between each shout for the nurse, she looked at me and said 'Inez'. I started drifting off again, despite my best effort to stay awake and find out why this lady was crying with a big smile on her face, but I couldn't. 

~

 When I opened my eyes again, I took note that the sun was no longer shining in my eyes like it had been before. I also had an uncomfortable feeling that I had been dreaming about something familiar...but I can't quite place it. I blinked a few times, before lifting my head as much as I could from the propped up position I was laying in. My left arm was wrapped in a cast, and there was a bandage on my back. I could feel it and hear the crumbling sound when I moved. There was also a bandage wrapped around my head, especially thick on the left side; I found it after using my right hand to touch it. Other than those things, though, the only visible injuries are bruises and small cuts on both my hands. 

A doctor walked in, white coat giving him away. "You're awake." He commented, walking closer and setting a clipboard at the end of the bed. 

"Why am I?" I asked, only now realizing how scratchy my throat is. Despite how weird I feel, I'm not so far gone that I don't recognize a hospital. 

The doctor raised an eyebrow, "You had a bit of an accident." He s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter