II. She "Hate" Me

To Love Your Enemy

 

Mall Center

The shining black car stopped at the front of the mall, in the car, there’re two quiet girls sitting next to each other.

“You look like you have something to tell me?” Chaeryeong asked

“This time is different from the previous times, we’ll have to greet and talk to the fans, the salesmen, and the attention from the paparazzi. We need to be well prepared because they know what we’re for” Yeji explained.

“So what?”

“You shouldn’t talk like that. Instead, we’ll call each other by nickname. I’ll call you Chaery, you can call me whatever you want besides Ms Hwang. Understand?” Chaeryeong nodded, averted her eyes outside the window.

“You can get off now, I’ll follow you behind… here put on these shades, you will need it” Chaeryeong looked puzzled while Yeji helped her put it on and adjusted with a smile.

.

.

“Ms Lee, look at this way!”

“Chaeryeong!”

“Chaeryeong!! Look at me”

All the way from the outside to the entrance of the mall. Chaeryeong keeps smiling and nodding because she noticed the number of paparazzi increased almost 3 times compared to usual. She was even more thankful for Yeji’s sunglasses with all those flash pointed at her.

“Welcome Ms Lee, Ms Hwang have booked a table inside, this way please” the employee of the coffee shop guided.

Chaeryeong was immediately get noticed in a busy shopping area. The raised phones didn’t seem to bother her as much as waiting for Yeji to show up.
.
.

“Sorry for the wait Chaery” Yeji grinning slightly tapped on Chaeryeong’s shoulder. They exchanged looks and Chaeryeong suddenly remembered their agreement then immediately went for a hug.

“Ah I miss you so much, unnie”

Surprised by Chaeryeong’s hug, Yeji stiffed a little but quickly regained to her usual.

“I think we should start our shopping” Yeji whispered into Chaeryeong’s ear. It sent an electric shock through her spine. You’re bold as always
.
.

“I think this suits you” Yeji pointed to Victoria Secret’s bra. In response, Chaeryeong looked in the direction that Yeji pointed at. Yeji then looked at her laughed

“It reminds me of that night” she lowered her head and whispered quickly then turned away, ignoring the younger girl’s confused face.

“What night?”

After understanding the hidden meaning, a blush spread across her cheeks and up to her ears. There’s no mirror nor glass but she knows it’s there.

Why did I lose control that night?!?  She thought while covering her ears.

 

After nearly 2 hours of browsing and choosing, the two spent the same amount of time interacting with their fans. Yeji made decided that they should go for lunch elsewhere instead of this mall’s rooftop restaurant. Because she thought It would be difficult for both of them to settle here with their current situation.

“Unnie wait for me here ok? I need to fix my makeup a bit” Chaeryeong smiled get closer to Yeji’s personal space. She whispered softly but enough to make people around curious. And just like that, fans were almost panicking when they saw the sweetness exchanged in their eyes.

“Sure” Yeji briefly replied.

There was another round of excited screams from the crowd. Yeji discreetly showed a satisfied smirk. You’re getting bold now huh.

.

.

Gently wiping the smudged mascara with tissue, she applied a little more lipstick on her lips that slightly faded, adjusted her messy her and confidently walked out of the restroom.

Honestly, today was the first day she and Yeji could be this close. Although she knows it’s just an act, all the teasing is more comfortable than the intense, awkward that they have before. Especially the time when Yeji canceled her show just to invite her to a baseball match.

Chaeryeong thought maybe it wasn’t in the PR stunt.
Maybe she really wants to be friends with her.

But no matter how much she want it to be true, deep down inside, she still wasn’t confident enough to accept Yeji as a friend. Because she was afraid that one day she would appear in Yeji’s work. Or even if the PR stunt was out, it would damage her reputation for taking advantage of Yeji.

Chaeryeong was spaced out until the noise of people chatting around startled her out of her thoughts.

Taking 3 deep breaths, she confidently continued walking.

As she was walking to the store where Yeji was waiting for her, suddenly the heel of her shoe slipped into a corner of the floor, making it crooked. It was more dangerous that is the leg she put force on.

Of course, she lost her balance and fell forward in the screams of the people around her who witnessed it.

“Woooow hey hey hey”

An arm wrapped around her waist and supported her up. She lift her head after saying “thank you” multiple times to realize the person who saved her was Taehyun.

“Are you ok?”

“I’m fine, thank you oppa” Chaeryeong answered as she tried to stand up straight. But fell again because of her missing heel. Taehyun has another chance to help her walk to the jewelry store.

Yeji, who was too focused on texting her friend, lift her up when she heard whining in front of her. She frowned.

What in the world is he doing here? Yeji thought.

“What happens? Are you ok Chaery?” She couldn’t stand the sight of Chaeryeong leaning on the other man. So she went up to help her but Taehyun gently pulled Chaeryeong back.

Yeji and Taehyun stared intensively at each other.

“She fell. If your shopping trip is done now, I’m excused myself to take her home” Taehyun politely asked but there was a little provocative in his voice which ticked Yeji.

“Ah you’re so kind, thank you but she and I aren’t done yet”

“You can shop some other time you know”

“But time does not allow us to. We are in a hurry”

“You can continue on buying your stuff. Chaeryeong has nothing to do with it”

“I want an opinion from her. Don’t you see our gout of styling?”

“Ah yes I think you do need more taste in fashion”

“HOW DARE YOU!”

The debate is getting more and more intense. Chaeryeong awkwardly doesn’t know what to say in this situation.

“CAN’T YOU SEE THAT SHE’S INJURED AND YOU STILL FORCE HER TO FOLLOW YOU?” Taehyun said

“I DIDN’T FORCE HER” Yeji replied

“Then let me take her home”

“IT’S NOT YOUR BUSINESS” Yeji argued

“AND IT’S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS EITHER” Taehyun attacked back
.
.

“ENOUGH BOTH OF YOU” Chaeryeong stopped them.

A group of curious people was crowding around outside tried to watch what was happening inside. Chaeryeong sighed and turned to Taehyun.

“I’m fine now oppa, you can go first, I have some work to do” Chaeryeong softly said

“Are you afraid of her? You’re a superstar doesn’t mean you have the power to decide what other people do.” Taehyun averted his eyes to Yeji.

“Then what about you? You don’t have any right to judge others!” Yeji replied

“I said ENOUGH! Taehyun oppa. I’m truly sorry but it isn’t as simple as it seems. I will call you later, ok?”

Taehyun reluctantly helps Chaeryeong sit down. Yeji immediately knelt down to check Chaeryeong’s ankle. That spontaneous act caused some of their fans outside to applaud.

“Ms Hwang do you want to pay now?” the store manager came out but then bowed to the man in front of him.

“Mr Director, how can I help you?”

Yeji looked up and signaled her bodyguard to change her shoes and help Chaeryeong out, while she turned to talk to the manager.

“Is he the owner here?”

“Yes ma’am”

“Then I don’t want to buy anymore”.

 

--

 

“Sorry for making you uncomfortable earlier. I just want to take you home, I don’t trust him handling you”

“It’s nothing. It was partly my fault for my clumsiness. But thank you for giving me a ride”

“Yeah”

“…”

“…”

“I’ll go now. Thank you again” Chaeryeong broke the silence. She didn’t know why Yeji kept quiet and Chaeryeong assumed that Yeji agreed.

Yeji signaled her bodyguard to help her get into the house.

It wasn’t until the bodyguard returned to the card that Yeji finally broke out of her thought. She moved slightly and accidentally hit something with her legs. Looking down, she found the younger girl's high heels that she forgot.

“Wait here” Yeji commanded as she grabbed the pair and jumped out of the car.

 

[Ding dong]

Chaeryeong wondered who was it and slowly walked down. She was surprised when Yeji appeared behind the door.

“Why are you still here? Did I take something by mistake?”

“No, you forgot these” Yeji held out Chaeryeong’’s high heels

“Ah-”

“But it’s broken”

“Thank you, unnie”

“Can I come inside?” Yeji asked hesitantly. Although she had come a few times before, this time was different.

This time she WANT to come inside.

Chaeryeong was also surprised by the question so it took a few minutes for her to realize the other person’s intentions.

“Y… yes please come in”

“Do you want anything to drink?”

“Water would be fine. Thank you”
.
.

Chaeryeong sat down and hugged the sofa pillow while Yeji raised her glass of water and took a sip. She suddenly found the floor and the celling interesting, and glued her eyes everywhere but the latter.

“Why don’t you look at me?”

The question burst out without Chaeryeong herself could stop it. It’s impossible to take it back so she just watched Yeji’s reaction.

It’s strange to see a Hwang Yeji lacking her arrogance and timidity. Is she always put so many walls?

“Why do you hate me?”

Chaeryeong thought Yeji was smart to dodge her question with another question.

“I don’t hate you”

“But your attitude says the opposite”

“Many people misunderstand me if they only judge me by my attitude”

“So am I one of them?”

“No, you’re nowhere”

Yeji put the glass down on the table and looked straight into the younger girl’s. For the first time, Chaeryeong had the courage to face that strong fierce eyes.

She finally sees crystal clear all the features that she has missed on the older face. Her pretty mark under her eyes, in the middle of the pointy nose, her stunning but irresistible cat-like eyes that sometimes form into the cutest eye smile ever. How does she know? Chaeryeong, not gonna lie, she did steal a glance at her, admiring her side profile every time the latter didn’t notice. The difference is that they all soften now.

.

.

.

“I should go”

It was Yeji who give up first. She was afraid, afraid of the piercing gaze of those black eyes. Dark and romantic. Eyes that can drown others in a deep maze.

“Wait”

Chaeryeong reached out and grabbed the wrist of the person who had just gotten up from the sofa. The warmth from her hand came through, she was surprised how a cold person could have such a warm and comfortable body temperature.

“What is it?”

Yeji was still standing with her back face the younger girl. She tried to loosen it up a litter but somehow unconsciously tightened it.

“Why? After nearly a year of meeting each other, why there is always an invisible gap between you and me? I tried to find out what it was, but couldn’t. I wonder, is it because of you. Is it from you that why I never found in myself?”

“…”

“Why do you do this? Why are you helping me when you and I barely know each other? it's just business between us, isn’t it?”

“…”

“You should go” Chaeryeong sighed. She was tired when all of her questions were left unknown. Loosen her hand from the other person's wrist.

Suddenly…

Yeji turned around and placed a kiss on her lips.

Chaeryeong was so stunned that she couldn’t react.

“That’s right. I’m that person. I’ve hidden myself for years. In my industry, they still secretly bring me out to make jokes and tell each other. I have to keep my distance from you because I know sooner or later you will realize who I really am and I won’t allow that to happen. I don’t care what people think of me, but to the people that matter, I want to leave a perfect image. Is it enough for you to understand?”

After finishing her words, Yeji quickly walked out of the house. She got in the car and drove away without looking back so she couldn’t see the dull eyes on her.

“Perfection. You were perfect in my eyes only when you dared to say those words”

Chaeryeong smiled and looked at the clock. It’s almost 7 PM.

Well today is the most exciting day of the year

 

--

 

[Brzzzz]

“What is it?” She asked with her sleepy voice into the phone.

“You said you will be at the gym the whole day but it’s 7 am already. Is your whole day start from afternoon to evening?” Heejin said

“I know”

“Ah and someone claiming to be Taehyun came looking for you”

“WHAT!?”

She was now wide awake when she heard that name.

“Yeah, someone named Taehyun came to find you, he asked what time would you come but I replied that I don’t know because it isn’t fixed.”

“You’re smart”

“So do you come or not?”

“I’ll be there at 9”

She hung up before the other side could say anything, threw the phone aside. She turned off the phone that she use to contact him, maybe that’s why he came looking for her.

Actually, after the incident at the mall last time, she suddenly felt annoyed and disappointed in him. A man shouldn’t argue like that with a woman but also have to admit Yeji is also pretty brave to bite back.

Hwang Yeji
Mentioning the name, Chaeryeong suddenly remembered what happened last night, her cheeks flushed red when she touched the place where Yeji’s lips had connected… her lips were so soft and warm, it so kissable… her kiss unmissable… and the lingering scent of perfume also made Chaeryeong heartache flip her world around.

In the modeling industry, it’s normal to hug and kiss someone of the same , but with Yeji, it was different. Even close friend, Yuna, is dating an action film actress. So last night’s kiss didn’t feel scary at all, on the contrary, she seemed to like it. Oh gosh, am I going crazy?

--

[Brzzz]

“Hi Bangchan oppa”

“Chaeryeong, have you prepared anything for the MAMA? There’re only 4 days left till the award. You have to prepare on your own now because Yeji has a charity trip in LA. She also asked me to tell you that if you don’t like it, you can back out. What do you think? Yesterday, you didn’t seem to like these kinds of events. Would you like me to cancel it for you so you can have time for the upcoming fashion show?”

“No no, I’m interested. Don’t worry, I won’t let you down”

--

(Time skip) At the coffee shop

“Hey, over here unnie”

Chaeryeong laughed and looked at her friend jumping up and down with her hands waving at her.

“Sorry, I’ve been busy at the gym. How are you with Yujin?”

“Still passion as always. What about Yeji unnie? Have you guys done anything yet?” Yuna joked while Chaeryeong gasped in surprise.

“Hey eat this, save your face from losing your image” Yuna stuffed the cookie in her friend’s mouth.

“Yuna, how is it feel like when you… kiss Yujin?” Chaeryeong timidly whispered

“It’s like you eating these cookies. It’s delicious.” Yuna replied, finishing her cookie.

“Aren’t those two different things?”

“Different? Like this?” Yuna closed her eyes, hugged herself mimicking the kiss which made Chaeryeong laugh hard. She know she would never have a serious answer from her best friend.

Leaning on her chin, look out the window, the golden sun shines through the orange-red-ish leaves in the autumn afternoon.

This kind of weather reminds her of Yeji. It’s been 3 days since the last time they meet each other, why does she feel a little disappointed and uncomfortable in her chest? Although the two didn’t meet often before, this feeling only appeared after… that night.

Suddenly, the familiar scent of perfume appeared, Chaeryeong was startled and looked around

“What’s up?” Yuna asked moving her curious nose

“The smell…”

“Cake?”

“No”

“Milk tea?”

“Nope”

“Definitely pizza!”

“No~, can’t you stop bringing up food”

“Then what is it?”

“… Let’s go shopping. Do you know what perfume does Yeji unnie uses?”

Yuna shrugged.

--

[When will you be back? I need your opinion on my dress for tomorrow night]

Chaeryeong types fast, then deletes then typing that sentence again, hesitant for a moment, and hits the “Send”. After that, she began to bake cookies according to her usual routine every Saturday evening.
.
.

[Brzzzz]
[Everything look nice on you, you don’t have to worry]
.
.

[Okay, see you tomorrow unnie]
-Sent-

.
.

[Me too. Miss you]

Chaeryeong stared blankly at the last two words. And from then until the end of the day, she still mutters those two words … “miss you”.

 

---------

Please let me know what do you think of the story.