I Hate Her

To Love Your Enemy

On Skylask Street, 8:27am

 

“Can you please hurry up, I’m pretty late now”

“Sorry miss, the situation is out of my control”

The redhead girl nervously looked down at her watch then glanced at the street filled with cars.
Damn it, just because of some crazy person, who thinks it is funny to spill the whole tteokboki truck on the street, are causing all transportation to delay. If she catches him, she would definitely show him what it’s like to have boxing from a model.

 

[Brzzz]

The phone vibrated in her hand, she could imagine her manager’s red angry face if she didn’t pick it up.
Taking a deep breath, Chaeryeong mustered up all the courage to swipe the screen.

“Hello-“

“WHERE ARE YOU? DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS? EVERYONE’S WAITING AND YOU’RE WATCHING THE SUNRISE?”

As expected, Chaeryeong had to move the phone away to protect her eardrums.

“I’m sorry, I’m stuck in traffic-“

“I DON’T CARE WHAT IT IS, EVEN IF YOU DIE, MAKE SURE YOUR BODY GETS THERE IN 15 MINUTES.”

[Beep beep beep…]

Before I could answer, I already heard a long sound of disconnection. She was tired, rubbing her temples because of the pressure of work and the manager. Bangchan oppa, is known as a demon manager in the modeling industry, in return, any model after collaborating with him, their reputation will surely stand out more than ever.
Although sometimes he can be a bit brutality annoying, but to be honest, Bangchan oppa has a lot of effort in Chaeryeong’s current career.

From an unknown teen model, now in the top 7 most expensive models in Korea. If she had to choose, she would choose to thank Bang oppa instead of slapping him in the face and leaving him as the other famous models did.

That doesn’t mean she agrees with all the crazy ideas that Bangchan oppa suggests- specifically, the most recent plan, he wants her to open a connection with a top female singer. Chaeryeong won’t say her name because everyone knows who it is.

Hwang Yeji

Well at first, she just thought that expanding the network was good for her career, but when she got involved, she was shocked to realize that she was playing with fire. In fact, she couldn’t help but hate the bold, melancholy singer who often wrote about her ex-lover like that. Like with her, everything could be the subject of her next single and Chaeryeong hates thinking that she will be one of them in the future.

Looking at the Burberry scarf lying still in her bag, Chaeryeong sighed as she remembered their first meet. Everyone probably thought she and Yeji made cakes together at the first meeting. But that’s not the case, she only met Yeji for the first time at the company meeting. When Yeji was introduced as a guest performer in a fashion show.

Right at that first meeting, she and Yeji took each other’s scarf by mistake. And she only realized it after she got home and used the scarf. The smell of strange perfume hit her nose, making her realize she had picked it by mistake. At the rehearsal a few days later, when she returned the scarf, the other girl denied it, making her a clown for the entire model group in the company.

She was embarrassed and angry as she crumpled the scarf when suddenly Yeji came over and admitted that she had taken the wrong one. Chaeryeong almost burst into tears as she reluctantly handed over the pitifully wrinkled scarf with her flushed face full of ashamed. While the other girl just stared at her then laughed and walked away. Leave both the scarfs on the table behind.

Every time she thought about it, she wouldn’t allow herself to continue. She has to stop and try to forget it because this is one of the most embarrassing moments in her life that she wants to throw away.

All must be erased.

[Brzzzz]

[Where are you? I have already here. What are you doing? Are you being chased by pigeons?]
.
.

It’s her.

I have to go shopping with her today but I’m still stuck on this avenue.

[I’m sorry but I can’t get out of this mess right now]

She hit “send”.

.

.

[Brzzz]

[Then where you at?]
.
.

[Skylark Street]
.
.

20 minutes later.

No response messages.

Maybe she went shopping by herself. That’s lucky, I don’t have to struggle with shopping.

She thought peaceful but suddenly

 

Knock knock knock.

Chaeryong jumped, looked out of the window, and gasped when she realized who was standing outside.

It’s her

HWANG YEJI.

What’s she doing here?

 

“Open.the.door”, Yeji mouthing.

Chaeryeong confused, put her hand on the door handle, as quick as the flash, Yeji climbed inside and slammed the door.

“Hi!” she grins.

“How- what are you doing?” Chaeryeong asked, still in shock.

“Don’t you see? I’m going shopping”

“But-“

“Didn’t we agree to go shopping and have lunch together?” Yeji still smiling. She pretending to be skeptical makes Chaeryeong blush and avert her eyes the other way.

“Unnie, I don’t think we can shopping anytime soon if we sit here forever. Why do you have to come here? I don’t really understand what you’re thinking” Chaeryeong sighed, trying to maintain her blush behind her cold facade because of the older girl’s perfume. It makes her can’t think straight…

“You won’t understand. Anyway, it’s better for two people to wait than being stood up there with all the paparazzi taking pictures.”

So she doesn’t want to lose her image then.

 

--

 

After more than 1 hour of waiting, the two finally reached the shopping mall.

As usual, Chaeryeong stepped out of the car first, followed by Yeji. Like a habit, Chaeryeong put her bag on her left shoulder while Yeji walked to her right. She had always been confused with Yeji’s actions. In fact, Chareyeong’s confusion for Yeji was never enough.

“Chaeryeong! Chaeryeong!”

“Yeji! Yeji!! Look at me!!”

The loud call of those paparazzi filled the place, the flash flashed continuously. Chaeryeong slightly lowered her head to avoid it while Yeji slowed down a little and smiled at the camera. This is important because in her opinion, once we are harsh with them, they will show attitude in return. And don’t expect those photos in the future to be good. In short, she’s still afraid of losing her image.

Walking around the cosmetics and perfume aisle for nearly 3 hours, Chaeryeong would take a nap on the public sofa in the mall if it weren’t for the paparazzi out there. How can girls spend hours just hanging around those aisles? Isn’t it better to spend those time practicing to keep our bodies fitter and healthier?

Chaeryeong doesn’t need to buy those things because everything she needs is already had by the brands that she represents. Besides that, the amount of gifts after every Fashion Week is enough for her to use until the next Fashion Week next year.

“Miss Lee, Miss Hwang is waiting for you in the car”

The man’s voice jerked her back from the nap, only to be ashamed to realize that she had fallen asleep.

Even though she didn’t want to, she still had to admit that Yeji’s delicacy to let the bodyguard wake her up so that Chaeryeong wouldn’t feel embarrassed in front of Yeji. And she is thankful for that.

 

--

 

It was silent all the way from the mall to the restaurant, they didn’t exchange any words. Although they have known each other for a year now and even attended many events together, also travel, went for a walk, to the gym, shopping… but there seems to be a gap between them that they have never had the opportunity to close the distance.

Firstly, because all the intimate images of those two appearing in the press, on social media are part of the PR campaign. Secondly, maybe both of them don’t want to open up to each other.

 

--

 

“Thank you!”

After nodding at the waiter, Yeji scrolled on her phone while Chaeryeong remained silent observing the surrounding. This time, Yeji invited her to have lunch at a restaurant in Greek-Roman concept with luxurious decoration with gold as the main color.

“I know you hate me” Yeji suddenly spoke up while still staring at her phone.

“…”

Chaeryeong remained silent but Yeji’s words made her heart feel something, perhaps Yeji hit the nail on the head when she said that Chaeryeong hates her.

“I also know that you don’t like this kind of PR. But trust me, you will see the result later. To build a personal reputation, you need the support of those who have more influence on the public than you.”

Chaeryeong snapped that sentence. Yeji now has Chaeryeong’s full attention.

“You know I’m taking advantage of your image, so why let me continue to do so?”

After a few seconds of hesitation, Chaeryeong finally gathered the courage to ask the question she’s always wanted to ask.

She knew Yeji sees through her attitude because she was never good at controlling her emotional expression when she was off the stage.

In response to Chaeryeong’s question, Yeji just smiled and looked up at her amusedly.

“Because Bangchan oppa used to help me. And I couldn’t turn down his request to help his beloved model expand your influence.”

“So you know this was the plan the whole time?”

“To be more precise, I was the one who came up with it” a sly smile formed on Yeji face. Chaeryeong suddenly felt a lump in , and unprovoked anger welling up from nowhere. So she was just a pawn in their plan.

“Sorry, I need to go to the restroom.”

She put the napkin on the table, quickly walked to the restroom but accidentally bumped into a man going the opposite direction.

“Chaer?”

“OMG, Taehyun oppa, what are you doing here?” She was surprised at her ex-boyfriend from high school. He seems to be more dashing and even more gentlemanly than before.

“I have an appointment with my client, how about you? Oh gosh, I can’t believe how beautiful you are now. It’s only been 5 years and as if you’ve suddenly blossomed.”

“Thank you. I have lunch with my friend and I think you shouldn’t keep your client waiting” Chaeryeong chuckled.

“Okai okai, sorry but here is my card, call me tomorrow will you. I want to invite you for a coffee”

“Oh”

She held the card in her hand, her eyes intently reading the words on it. Taehyun oppa comes from a rich and powerful family, and she isn’t. Because of that difference, he was forced to break up with her.

“Excuse me miss, the lady over there meant to ask if you ready to return to the table?” The waiter politely pointed in that direction. Chaeryeong suddenly remembered that she had forgotten her “companion” until now.

.
.

“The food is a bit cold, let me call them to reheat it” Yeji said as Chaeryeong was sitting down.

“Um, I think it’s fine, there is no need”

Yeji just nodded and continued her meal casually. Chaeryeong hesitantly took the knife and fork then joined the rhythm of the silence.

 

--

 

[Skrrr]

The car stopped at Chaeryeong’s front house. And before she could open the door, a hand stopped her.

“This is for you”

Yeji gave her the gift bag, in exchange Chaeryeong was only frozen for a few seconds. There was a moment Chaeryeong accidentally landed her eyes on the older girl's. The pair she tried to avoid all day.

“You already bought me lunch, I don’t think-“ still held her gaze.

“I don’t like begging. Either you take it or I’ll have someone bring it inside”

“Thank you for today”

Yeji reached over her to help her open the door.

Her perfume…

Chaeryeong took the bag and went to the door. Yeji watched her until Chaeryeong disappeared behind the door before letting the car drive away.

 

--

 

“Who is Taehyun? I’m not asking about his family background, I want to know about his relationship”

In the dimmed room, the two opposite figures with steady looked.

“He is her ex-boyfriend. They broke up because his father forced him to do so.”

“Okai, thanks. That’s all I need to know”

After saying that, the girl got up and walked quickly out of the room. The man looked confused and then reached out to turn on the light.

“Aishh, that girl… this is my office not interrogation room.” Hyunjin sighed.

.
.

“Ok, see you at 5 pm this afternoon, you don’t have to pick me up, I can go there by myself”

Hung up the phone, she happily rolled around on the bed, suddenly her eyes turned to the gift bag that the other girl gave her just now.
Reaching from the bed, she scanned the bag and slightly opened the corner of the bag. A green box, Chaeryeong lightly held her breath and opened it.
She was stunned.

A Rolex watch with a pink diamond bezel around the rim. As soon as she saw it, she knew the gift was extremely valuable. She suddenly felt confused about this unexpected gift.

Should I accept it or not?

 

[Brzzz]

Messenger notification. She reached out and grabbed it.

[Miss Lee, I miss you. See you later ♥]

She smiled, quickly forgetting about her concern, and read her ex-boyfriend’s text one more time, then opened her wardrobe to choose a beautiful outfit.

 

--

 

The Coffee House. 5:15 pm

 

“By the way, when I just graduated from university, I have searched all over Yongin and still not a single news from you. I thought I would never have the chance to see you again”

“But now I’m here with you, am I not?” Chaeryeong and Taehyun laughed together.

The meeting of two old friends became as comfortable and gentle as this sunny afternoon. They take turns reminiscing about memories, occasionally chuckling at a random funny story.

 

In the distance, in the glass wall, a frowning figure watched their movement through binoculars. That person’s unpleasant attitude makes even their bodyguard dare not to speak up to warn his mistress not to stand on the table because it was dangerous.

[Brzzz]

“Miss, you have a phone call”

“The hidden person” angrily put down the binoculars and pulled the scarf over their head, taking the phone from the bodyguard.

[Don’t you have anything to do?]

[Unnie, you forgot what you have said?]

[I talk about everything, now suddenly you ask how am I supposed to know what is it about?]

[It’s about Lee Chaeryeong, you’ll have to take her on the upcoming MAMA. I want to meet her]

[But she’s not an artist. How is it possible?]

[I don’t know. Make her your plus one or something. I have to meet her]

[Beep Beep Beep]

[Ya, Ryujin, Ryujin…]

 

Yeji let out a long sigh, tilted her head to think, and then called her assistant.

[Miss Hwang, is there something I can do?]

[Has the MAMA organizer sent the invitations yet?]

[Yes, it just arrived yesterday Miss]

[Contact and tell them I need another invitation for a friend. If they don’t have any available, I won’t attend]

[Yes, Miss]

 

--

 

“Thank you for a nice evening. I’m really happy to see you again”

“Um… Chaeryeong ah… I want…” Taehyun hesitated

“What’s it?”

“Can we start over? Now that I’m financially independent, my father can’t do anything about us anymore. You also understand our past parted reluctantly. I promise to protect and take good care of you.”

Chaeryeong suppressed her chuckle at her ex-boyfriend’s impatient attitude. But nodded slightly.

“I will think about that,” She said and went inside her house, leaving the man outside with his brightest happy face.

“I promise I won’t let you down again”

 

--

 

JYPM office

 

“Good morning, Felix”

“Hi Bangchan”

“Has Chaeryeong arrived yet?”

“Yes, she’s waiting inside”

“Ok, thanks Felix”

 

[click!]

“Hi babe, where did you do last night?” Bangchan questioned while sitting down

“I went out for coffee and got home on curfew”

“Hmm, then would you care to explain these photos?” he threw out a bunch of freshly developed photos on the table. It was easy to point out what those photos is about, a woman and a man walking on the street.

“So?” Bangchan friendly smiling.

“Ah, I stumbled on an old friend-“

“An old friend? Or an EX-BOYFRIEND? WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING? WHILE I WORRY DAY AND NIGHT TO BUILD YOUR CAREER, AND YOU GO OUT DATING YOUR EX-BOYFRIEND. ARE YOU BEING CHILDISH RIGHT NOW?”

Bangchan’s attitude snapped from caring to anger. The ability that makes one on cloud nine and lies on the ground in the next minute, she was used to it. Of course, she had no fear at all. She knows Bangchan oppa can only yell, scream and sigh after that section.

Waiting for the manager to calm down, Chaeryeong slowly sat straight back in her seat.

“We were just going out for dinner and catching up with things. There is nothing more.”

“Is that true?” Bangchan doubted.

“Yesss. If the media didn’t know you into men, they probably would think you like me” she stuck out her tongue jokingly teasing her manager making him blush awkwardly.

“So is there anything you want to tell me? I don’t you summoned me here just to show these meaningless photos.”

“You’ll attend the annual award ceremony in 5 days away from now. I want you to take care of your appearance more. Hair, clothes, accessories…”

 “What? What does the music awards ceremony have to do with me? Why I have to attend it?”

“Expanding your reputation, remember? Does going out with that guy makes you forget everything?”

“That stupid plan” Chaeryeong mumbled.

“Ya mumbling something? You have an appointment shopping for an outfit for an upcoming event with Yeji at 9 am, you better get going. You still have 20 minutes to get there” Bangchan smiled sipping his tea.

Chaeryeong’s eyes widen looked at her watch and back to Bangchan’s face.  Are you crazy oppa? It took 20 minutes from here to the parking lot.

 “I hate you oppa ah” Chaeryeong said as she rushed out, 20’, she only had 20 minutes to reach the destination with the older girl. How good it would be if she had wings.

At the same time, her phone is ringing. The vibration in her hand still doesn’t stop, Chaeryeong had to pick it up.

[Hello, who is it…? Huh huh]

[It’s Taehyun, and why are you panting?]

[I need to get to my business partner’s appointment right now, but… huh huh]

[Running down the parking lot takes a lot of time. You’re lucky because I’m right in front of your company. I will be happy to ride you there]

[Gosh, thank you. You’re my lifesaver, I’m going down right now]

[Ok see you soon]

Chaeryeong shoved her phone into her bag, passed through the huge lobby, flung out the revolving door and excitedly toward the convertible car in the distance.

.
.
“Hey”

The call held Chaeryeong’s feet back. She turned to the direction of the sound’s source. She stared blankly at the person with a smirk on their face in the back seat of the car.

“You’re going shopping with me so if you get in my car, you won’t need to worry about your tardiness”

A glimpse at the waiting face of the young man in the distance and the arrogance of the older girl in front of her.

 

Taking a deep breath, Chaeryeong got into the nearest car with Taehyun’s shocked gaze.

[Sorry and thank you for your enthusiasm oppa. I will invite you out for coffee sometime.]

Chaeryeong hit the send button and released her body into the seat, looking out at the sunny sky outside the car window. Beside her, an arrogant smile still hasn’t faded yet.


“1-0”