Chapter 8: cassava cake

anywhere in lifetime with you

Days have passed, and this day holds no significance for Nayeon.




 

She's still the harried doctor who is currently prescribing medications to her patients.




 

She immediately wonders who ate noodles inside the hospital, as there appear to be a disproportionately large number of patients confined this week.





 

“Here. Take this for two weeks, three times a day, every four hours, okay? " Nayeon said as she handed the prescription to the 40-year-old woman.





 

Someone suddenly knocked on her office. 




 

“Thank you so much, Dr. Im. I’ll go ahead now.” The older woman said and Nayeon just smiled in response.





 

"Come in," Nayeon permitted as she reclined back in her high back chair, removing her spectacles and the stethoscope that was wrapped around her neck.





 

A nurse entered Nayeon’s office. 





 

“Good afternoon, Dr. Im.” 







 

Nayeon opened her eyes and saw nurse Gab standing in front.




 

“Ms. Hirai from Myoui’s Pharmaceuticals called. They said that the medicine for Jihyo is ready to be delivered within this day.” The nurse informed her.




 

Those words snapped Nayeon's soul awake, prompting her to take a decent seat.



 

"Thank God," she said with a genuine smile, since it was the first good thing she'd heard in days, “Do we need to dispatch someone to pick it up?” Nayeon inquired.





 

She doesn’t want to bother anyone anymore just for bringing those medicines. Myoui Pharmaceutical has done a lot already. 






 

Gab politely shook her head, “Ms. Hirai said that Ms. Myoui will bring it herself since apparently, there are some things that she needs to explain first.”






 

Nayeon's heart thumped so furiously after hearing that name after so many days.





 

Almost suffocating her.






 

The scene of what happened between them in the laboratory suddenly flashed back inside her head.





 

It felt like it just happened yesterday.





 

“Uh, are you okay, Dr. Im?” Gab asked out of nowhere, “Your cheeks are so red.”





 

Nayeon didn't even notice that she was blushing profusely just by recalling what had taken place in the laboratory.




 

“I-It’s nothing!” Nayeon said and chuckled awkwardly, “It’s just so hot inside my office, isn’t it?” 




 

“You have three aircons in here, Dr.” Gab responded hesitantly while looking around Nayeon’s office.




 

“You can leave now, Gab. Thank you very much for the information!” Nayeon quickly dismissed the nurse before she could even transform into a complete tomato. 




 

Gab left the office quickly. 




 

Nayeon sighs as she sits on her chair again. 





 

After what happened to them, she doesn't think she'll be able to face Mina again.



 

 She has no idea how she'll behave if she sees her either.





 

Therefore, she thought about something.




 

 


 





 

“Tzuyu, can I ask you a favor?” Nayeon cutely approached the younger girl’s desk.





 

The latter rolled her eyes, “If it’s not something nonsense then sure.”




 

Nayeon shook her head quickly as a sign that it’s not something nonsense, "Can you speak with Mina when she arrives here with the pharmaceuticals?" 




 

Nayeon said it softly to soften Tzuyu and get her to do the favor.





 

"I won't do it unless you tell me why." Tzuyu remarked, raising an eyebrow.




 

“Please? I need to get some coffee.” Nayeon lied.





 

"Just because of that?" Tzuyu scoffed,  “I'll just go out and buy it for you."





 

"Tzuyu, the coffee's name is difficult to pronounce. I don't want you to struggle. Seeing you suffer isn't something I want to witness." Nayeon said dramatically.






 

“Oh shut up, Im.” Tzuyu rolled her eyes, “Do the favor yourself.” She spat out.





 

Nayeon groans in disbelief, “Ugh, fine! I’m trying to avoid Ms. Myou–”





 

“Who are you trying to avoid, Dr. Im?” Mina interrupted out of nowhere. 





 

“Jesus ing christ!” Nayeon's soul almost left her body when Mina suddenly appeared unexpectedly.





 

“Amen,” Tzuyu.



 




 

“Have a seat, Ms. Myoui,” Nayeon said and chuckled awkwardly as she offered the couch to Mina who was already inside her office.





 

Mina in a white coat, slitted short skirt, and white spaghetti strap top, not to mention her ash-blonde long wavy hair down, that is dancing gracefully as she walks elegantly will be the end of Nayeon.





 

She changed her hair color. Nayeon pondered.




 

Nayeon swallowed real hard.




 

"It's not necessary. I’m not going to stay here for long," Mina murmured gently, it sounded so cold.







 

It's absurd, yet hearing what Mina said made Nayeon sad. Regardless, she simply nodded and did not question the latter any further.







 

She sat in her office chair, wearing her glasses, and waited for Mina to say what she needed to say.





 

"I personally brought the medicines here to inform you that they would only last and be effective for a month," Mina said as she tucked her hands into the pockets of her coat. "So, I'm hoping you can find a heart donor within that time frame."




 

"We already did, Ms. Myoui," Nayeon says as she scribbles something on her notebook. 





 

"We should be able to start the transplant by next month," she added as she rose up.





 

Nayeon took a deep breath and swallowed hard.




 

“That’s good to hear.” Mina nonchalantly commented, finger-combing her hair. 




 

Nayeon feels like it’s Mina’s mannerism.





 

"Our hospital will pay you a great deal of amount for this for sure," Nayeon clearing , "but still...uh, h-here," she hesitantly hands Mina a piece of paper.




 

With a perplexed expression, the latter just gazed at the paper instead of accepting it “What’s that?”




 

“Just my way of saying thank you!” Nayeon chuckles awkwardly, “It’s nothing big, swear.”



 

Though Mina doesn't seem interested in accepting it, Nayeon softly grabs her hand and places the paper on her palm.




 

"What am I supposed to do with a piece of paper with your name on it?" Mina asked, coking her eyebrow.





 

 "Just present that in the coffee shop adjacent to the hospital,” Nayeon smiled gummily, “Trust me.”





 

"Fine, then," Mina shrugged as she stuffed the paper into her pocket. "I'll go ahead now and thank you for this."





 

Nayeon bit her lip and nodded, “Okay then…thank you again,”





 

“No worries, Dr. Im.” Mina slightly smiled. 




 

It doesn’t seem like a genuine smile, though.




 

“See you around.” She added before finally leaving the office.




 

Nayeon released a sigh of relief that she’s been holding since earlier. 





 

She has to make herself get used to Mina being around.




 

Nayeon snatched her phone and typed something, intending to call someone.





 

“Hi, Claire! Did you prepare the thing I told you?” Nayeon paused, “She’ll be there any time.”






 

 


 



 

Mina sighed deeply before commencing her car's engine.





 

She was scheduled to go to a lunch meeting with her father and the pharmaceuticals board members, but she took a different route, passing by the Im Hospital.





 

Mina arrived at the location just after a short drive.





 

“Good afternoon! What’s your order?” A blonde-haired staffer greeted her.





 

Mina was hesitated at first but she did it anyway,





 

“Hi, I’d like to present this,” Mina said politely and handed the paper to the young lady.





 

The woman seems astounded, “Oh! You must be Ms. Mina.” She then giggled lightly. “Please give me a few seconds.



 

“Very gorgeous indeed…” Mina heard the girl whisper before turning her back.




 

Confused as Mina already is, she didn’t bother to ask any more questions. 



 

She patiently waited for the lady to come back instead.



 

Just after Mina glances at her wristwatch, the lady came back holding a cup of her favorite iced coffee americano, and a box.



 

A box of cake? Mina thought.



 

“Here, a special order for Miss Mina Myoui.” The lady said with so much enthusiasm. 



 

Mina received the box and coffee, “Uh, may I ask what’s inside this box?”


 

“It’s Dr. Im’s favorite dessert. She thought you might like it if you tried.” The girl answered kindly and widely plastered a smile.



 

Mina only nods and stares at the box for a few seconds, speechless.



 

She simply shrugged it off and thanked the woman before exiting the store.


 

Mina gazed at the box again when she got into her car and gradually became inquisitive.


 

When she opened the box, a cassava cake appeared alongside a luxury ice cream cup.



 

"What in the weird food combo is this?" Mina scoffed.


 

Mina noticed a piece of paper tucked into one of the box's seams.


 

It was a short letter with terrible handwriting when she opened it.


 

One like a doctor's.



 

Hi. I know this is not something big as I thought you might be expecting but just give it a try. It might relieve your stress from the pharmaceutical work you got. Eat well!

 

Ps. It will taste better if you dip the cassava cake into the ice cream ;)

 

xx Dr. Im xx


 

Mina isn't even aware that she's already smiling naively. When she realized that she was smiling because of a piece of paper, she pouted a little.



 

She shrugged it off anyways, stuffed the paper back into the box, and sipped her coffee before driving back to their company.