chapter 9: finally met once

anywhere in lifetime with you

"Honey, I'm only trying to enlighten your daughter that no matter how hard she manages to avoid it, she is still destined to inherit the empire we built for her!" 



 

"I understand, but you can't make our daughter do things she doesn't want to do!"



 

Mr. Im drank the entire glass of wine out of frustration.



 

Nayeon's mother turned to face her daughter, who had been engrossed in her phone since they had begun eating dinner.



 

They are, nonetheless, more knowledgeable. Nayeon is doing this just to avoid the conversation about her inheritance.




 

"Are you even listening, Nayeon, darling?" " Her mother inquired quietly.





 

Nayeon places her phone on the table and turns to face her parents.




 

"I expected more like 'how is our daughter?'" Nayeon sighs and rises from her seat, "But I got this instead.”



 

"Please, Nayeon, don't leave just yet. I'm sorry..." said Nayeon's father, reaching for his daughter's hands.



 

“This is why I don’t like to meet with you guys no matter how much I miss you both,” Nayeon stated softly, nearly whispering.



 

Nayeon tried to remain calm as possible. This is the main reason why she has been avoiding her father for months now. 



 

Her mother has always respected and supported Nayeon’s decisions, meanwhile, her father is the polar opposite of her mother.



 

Ever since Nayeon was a child, Mr. Im has always been controlling.



 

It was even he who decided for Nayeon to take medicine as a degree and become a doctor.



 

While Nayeon didn’t even get the chance to become what she wanted and figure out what she was really passionate about.


 

“Please sit down, Honey...Forgive your daddy, please.” Mr. Im said in an apologetic tone. "We're not going to talk about it again, promise."



 

"I've lost my appetite, dad," Nayeon sighs as she pulls her father's hands away from her. "Don't worry, I'll just be in my room."



 

Before leaving them in the dining room, Nayeon kissed both of her parents to show respect.



 

She must be really pissed right now but she still honors her mom and dad.



 

She walks upstairs where her old room was located. 



 

After graduating from medical school, Nayeon left their mansion and worked independently outside of the country, without the assistance of her parents or the use of her family’s connections. She returned back home when she believed that she had earned sufficient experience to become the outstanding doctor that she is now.




 

Nayeon lays down quietly on her bed and closes her eyes immediately.




 

I’ll rest for a while before I leave. Nayeon pondered.




 

Few minutes passed, Nayeon was startled when her phone vibrated loudly.



 

 She doesn’t have plans to check it but then it notified again. 



 

Nayeon grumbles in annoyance as she reaches for her phone to see who has texted her.



 

Despite feeling sleepy, Nayeon immediately bounced from her bed when she saw who messaged her.



 

[Mina Myoui] Good evening, Dr. Im. Thanks for your gift. It indeed tastes good. 



 

It is way too formal to give thanks for a cake but Nayeon was already panicking. 



 

“, , . What should I reply?” 



 

[Im Nayeon] I’m glad you like it.



 

It sounds too formal. Should I at least put an emoji? Nayeon thought and so she did.



 

[Im Nayeon] I’m glad you like it! :)


 

Sent!


 

Delivered.


 

Read. 


 

20 minutes have passed and there's no reply from Mina. 




 

Nayeon scoffs in disbelief and disappointment. 





 

Why did she even expect a reply, anyways? Nonsense.




 

 


 



 

Tzuyu knocks on Nayeon’s office before she enters.



 

“It’s Sana’s birthday. Do you want to come and surprise her in her office?” Tzuyu inquires as she walks towards Nayeon who’s busy reading through Jihyo’s medical records.



 

Nayeon was a bit shocked. “Eh? Her birthday is on the 29th, Tzuyu. What are you talking about?”



 

Tzuyu rolled her eyes sassily and showed Nayeon her phone’s lock screen, “Apparently, it is 29 today.” 


 

Nayeon is now staring at Tzuyu’s phone in disbelief. She scoffs. “I can’t believe it’s 29 today!”


 

“Don’t worry. I won’t tell Sana you forgot her special day.” Tzuyu sarcastically says. “Fix yourself. We’ll visit her in five.” The young girl left Nayeon’s office immediately. 



 

Nayeon then pushed aside all of the medical papers on her table and gave herself a fast makeover. Her lips were looking a little dry, so she applied some lip balm and fixed her long wavy hair. She has wanted to cut her hair short for a long time now but she couldn’t find time to do so. Maybe when everything’s calmed down, she’ll chop it off. 


 

She takes off her doctor's coat and puts on a long black coat since it's really cold outside.


 

-


 

“We should buy her a cake, Chewy,” Nayeon suggests.

 

 

 

“I already did earlier while you were busy. Also some flowers.” Tzuyu says.



 

Nayeon pokes Tzuyu’s waist to tease the young girl, “Aww, our baby is so sweet!”



 

“Shut up, Nayeonnie. You drive so you can have some contribution at least.” 



 

Nayeon just chuckles and nods. Tzuyu is so cute when being teased.



 

After driving for 20 minutes, they finally arrived at Sana’s own law firm.  


 

“Should we ask her secretary first if she’s in her office and set an appointment?” Tzuyu asks Nayeon when they were finally inside the firm’s lobby.



 

Tzuyu is holding the cake while Nayeon is holding the flower bouquet and three balloons. 



 

“What are we, a client? We are her sisters by blood. We don’t need an appointment.” Nayeon boastfully says and continues to walk through the hallways that lead them to the elevator. “Besides, it’s already 6 pm, Sana only works until 5.” She adds and winks at Tzuyu. 



 

Tzuyu appears to be skeptical regardless of Nayeon’s confidence and is still hesitant to barge into the office.




 

When they arrived on the right floor, Nayeon didn't even throw a glance at Sana's legal team at their various workstations as she was continually walking through Sana's office.



 

Tzuyu is just simply following Nayeon's footsteps, with the exception that she bows slightly to the individuals inside.




 

"Excuse me, Miss Nayeon! Attorney Sana is still in a client meeting!—" Sana's secretary leaps immediately from her desk to halt Nayeon, but then the latter has already pushed through the door aggressively.



 

“Happy birthday, Sana!!!” Nayeon yells at the top of her lungs with so much enthusiasm once she has opened the door. “You thought I forgot your birthday, huh?!” Nayeon laughs and hastily ambles toward Sana but stops mid-walk when she notices that there was an immediate silence. 



 

Nayeon didn’t even hear Tzuyu’s voice greeting Sana as well. Nayeon frowns and looks at Sana who is now in a massive kind of embarrassed-surprised-look. 




 

Sana instantly signaled Nayeon with her eyes to look around her office. 



 

When Nayeon turns to look, she sees Chaeyoung, Dahyun, and Jeongyeon sitting on the couch of the office. 



 

The girls were looking at Nayeon amusingly. 


 

Nayeon almost stumbles on the floor and yet she’s still able to maintain her composure and awkwardly chuckles. “Oh! Didn’t notice you there, sorry.” She still cackles awkwardly again while furtively sneaking out of Sana's office. 



 

Nayeon swiftly shut the door's office. "!" She couldn't bear the humiliation she was feeling right now. 



 

When Nayeon searches around the lobby for Tzuyu, she sees the younger girl sitting at Sana's secretary's desk as if nothing had occurred. It's even casually speaking with the secretary as if she doesn't know Nayeon at all.



 

“Yah! Tzuyu-ah! How dare you let me bulge into Sana’s?!” Nayeon whimpers, her face flushed with embarrassment.



 

Tzuyu wants to laugh but she tries not to. She doesn't want to make Nayeon's embarrassment that much worse. "Please tell her," Tzuyu says quietly to the secretary but Nayeon hears it.



 

“Tell me what?” Nayeon almost freaks out.



 

"Uh...I tried to warn you earlier, Miss Nayeon, but you were already violently opening the door before you could even hear me." Sana’s secretary says in an apologetic tone.



 

Nayeon couldn't utter a word. She places her hands on her hips and hisses frustratingly.



 

“Nayeon, Tzuyu!” Sana suddenly called them from her door. “Come inside.”



 

Nayeon doesn't have plans to go back inside but Tzuyu dragged her. 




 

“Tzuyu! ” Nayeon protests.




 

“Shut up and regain your dignity again. Introduce yourself to them.”





 

Sana kisses Tzuyu’s cheeks and then Nayeon’s. 





 

"I appreciate your effort, Nayeonnie, but that was extremely humiliating." Sana chuckles, "I have to give you that."




 

“Oh, shut up now. I’m already embarrassed enough.” Nayeon groans and rolls her eyes.




 

“Sorry for not telling you, okay? Let’s go inside. I’ll introduce you both properly to them. They are really kind.” Sana says. “And very pretty. Their videos do not give them credit in terms of how stunning they are in person...especially Dahyun.” Sana giggles cutely.


 

“Such a simp.” Tzuyu remarks.



 

“I’m not!” Sana denies.

 

 

Tzuyu simply flips her hair in front of Sana's face as a sign that she disagrees and proceeds to enter the office without a word, with confidence. “

 

 

Hi. I'm Tzuyu. "It's nice to meet you all," Tzuyu stated monotonously.



 

The three women were taken aback by Tzuyu’s presence and were obviously astounded by its beauty, too. 



 

“Woah…I thought Dahyun was already the prettiest girl that ever existed.” The fair skin with ash brown hair whispers to the other girl. The latter simply smacks her with an elbow to shush her.



 

“Hi!” The girl who is as white as a tofu rises and bows. “I’m Dahyun! This is Chaeyoung,” Dahyun points at the gorgeous yet smallest girl in the group, “And this is Jeongyeon.” She proceeds to point at the ash brown-haired gorgeous girl who has a cool aura. 

 


 

All of them proceeded to bow down at each other. 



 

“Is halloween already over?” Chaeyoung randomly asks Tzuyu.




 

Tzuyu looks confused but still answers it anyway, “It’s already December.”




 

“Oh. Is that so? I was just wondering as to why you are still dressed up like an angel then?” Chaengyoung pulled it off smoothly. 



 

Dahyun scoffs in embarrassment for her friend while Jeongyeon proudly chuckles and taps Chaeyoung’s back. 




 

"Didn't know you were a fan of sixth graders' stupid pickup lines." Tzuyu retorts.



 

Everyone in the room laughs except for Tzuyu.



 

"Everyone, this is Nayeon," Sana interrupted after dragging Nayeon who has been hiding from her back for a while now. 


 

 

Nayeon was about to protest but then she didn't want to feel humiliated in front of the girls again. “Uh…” She awkwardly chuckles. “Hi! It’s Nayeon. I apologize for disrupting your meeting earlier. It was humiliating."

 

 

 

"It's all right, Nayeon!" Dahyun says gleefully, "We were only chit talking earlier anyway. Also, we wouldn't have known it was attorney Sana's birthday if it hadn't been for you!" 




 

These young ladies appear to be very active.



 

“That’s true. And if all the intruders are as attractive as you then I’m willing to let them barge into the room anytime. I'm even willing to demolish the door for you just so you won't have any trouble in aggressively barging in again." Jeongyeon says and winks at Nayeon.




 

“Christ…Will you two shut up for once?” Dahyun states frustratingly.

 


 

“Alright. Alright. Enough with hitting up with my girls.” Sana says. “How about a birthday dinner tonight? It’s on me! In that way, we can also get to know each other!” Sana excitedly says and claps her hands in glee.  

 



 

Everyone cheered excitedly in approval.