Chapter 4: wishes were heard

anywhere in lifetime with you

Nayeon’s inside her office with Sana. 

 

After the younger girl won the hearing earlier, Sana brought Nayeon lots of food for dinner. She wanted to spend the night with Nayeon in her apartment, but she was still serving her night shift in the hospital, so they agreed to just dine in at Nayeon's office.


Sana has been talking to her for several minutes, but Nayeon is unable to understand a single word she says.


She’s blankly gawking through the window of her office while eating her ramen.

 

“So I was like, this has the audacity to even ask for forgiveness after actually abusing his wife! ” Sana resumes her talk while eating ramen with kimchi.

 

"I wanted to kick his off the court, but I can't do that, of course—" Sana paused in the middle of her sentence and tossed a tissue paper to Nayeon.

 

The tissue landed on Nayeon's forehead. It caused the older girl to blink a few times.

 


Nayeon finally took a break from zoning out.

 


“Yah! Why would you do that?! ” Nayeon whimpers, her food still in .

 

“You’re not listening!” Sana said.



“I am!” Nayeon argued.



“What did I say then?” Sana asked and crossed her arms, waiting for the older girl’s answer.



“That the court was physically abused.” Nayeon confidently said.

 

Sana frowns in response to Nayeon's answer. "Nayeon, what the actual -”

 

"Sana, leave her alone." Tzuyu suddenly entered the office and interrupted what Sana was about to say.  "She's been like that since earlier," The tall girl said as she walked towards Sana.

 

"She's been spacing out and almost got trip earlier. Good thing I was there to grab her," Tzuyu said as she reclined on the couch next to Sana and rested her head on the latter's shoulder.

 


Sana then kisses Tzuyu’s forehead.

 

 

Nayeon just glared at Tzuyu then continued to eat her ramen.



“Eh? Why?” Sana confusedly asked.



Tzuyu shrugs her shoulders.

 

"She keeps claiming that Ms. Myoui Mina is a member of a well-known girl group," she explained.

 

Tzuyu and Sana roared with laughter.

 

“You know what, if you’ll just keep laughing at me, might as well leave my office,” Nayeon said as she puts down her ramen on the table and stands up.


The other girls are still laughing and giggling.

 

"Chill, Nayeonnie," Sana says, pulling the girl's wrist, causing Nayeon to tumble into the middle of the other two females on the couch.

 

Tzuyu stated, "I'm not sure what's going on with you, but we're not here to cast judgment, okay? We just can't believe you mistook the scientist, Ms. Myoui, for an artist when she's the future heir to the Myoui Pharmaceutical Company."

 


Here we go again. Nayeon pondered. She'd like to believe she's just hallucinating, but she's not. She had completed all of her research earlier when she had regained her composure.

 

She found out that there’s really no Mina in her fave girl group.


The only Myoui Mina that exists is the chemist of the Myoui Pharmaceutical company. 


She still can’t understand and comprehend how and what exactly happened. In fact, she still clearly remembers that she was just fangirling the Mina days ago. 

 

“Oh my God!” Sana suddenly exclaimed out of nowhere that made Tzuyu and Nayeon startled.


“What happened?” Tzuyu and Nayeon asked in unison.


“Have you heard the news this morning?” Sana excitedly asked while browsing something on her phone.


“What news?” Tzuyu asked.

 

"That the universe's rarest sort of star, the O-type, which only appears once per billion years, appeared last night?" Sana asked, showing the girls her phone.


It's an article about the star she's talking about.


“And? What about it" Nayeon asked, clueless about the sudden excitement.


“It says that this star listens to every wish that you want to wish and it will eventually come true! "Damn, if I had known about this last night, I could have wished to become a hamster!" Sana stated.


Nayeon sat bolt upright in her chair. She immediately took Sana's phone and reads the article.


According to the article, many people in ancient times claimed that if they expressed their prayers and requests as soon as they saw the star fall from the sky, their wishes will be granted.

 

Nayeon scrolls down to the article to check the time when the star actually arose last night.

 

“The star appeared at 10:15 P.M last night.” Nayeon reads the line loudly.

 

Her hands began to slightly tremble, she covered because of too much shock.



It's the same time I wished that Mina was just an ordinary person! Nayeon thinks.

 

“Are you okay, Nayeon?” Sana asked with a concerned look. 


“No way!” Nayeon shrieks. “I ing knew it!” She stood up and happily smiled at the two girls. "I knew it!"

 

The girls knew that it was a genuine smile because Nayeon’s gummy and bunny teeth are showing.

 

“How I wish I was able to wish to that star to make Nayeon’s mentality okay.” Tzuyu nonchalantly said as she looks at Nayeon giggling cutely.



Sana nods. “Same,” she added.



Gone is the spaced-out Nayeon from earlier. 

 

-

A few days later, Nayeon finally understood what happened that night. She didn't have time to think about it, though, as she was constantly occupied at their hospital. Her father is due to return home next week, so she must perform well in order to inherit the hospital.

 

“Dr. Im, the patient is here.”  the nurse declared.


Nayeon nods as she adjusts her white coat and finger-combs her hair. "Let them in,"

 

The nurse bowed politely and nodded.

 

A girl, about her age, walked into the office seconds later, dressed in a floral dress with pale lips. The girl appears to be really attractive, but she also seems to be ill.

 


Nayeon leaped from her chair and rushed over to help the young lady. "How are you doing?" Nayeon inquired.

 

 

The girl her lips and smiled weakly. “I’m not really feeling good, Dr.”

 


Nayeon nods.

 

She returns to her office chair after she's convinced that her patient is sitting comfortably.

 

"By the way, I'm Dr. Im," Nayeon introduced herself.


The girl introduced herself as well, "Park Jihyo, Dr. Im."


Nayeon's eyes widened. “Jihyo? Like Park Jihyo from Crimson High School?"


Jihyo is also taken aback. "Yes...How did you figure that out?" 

 

“Oh my God, Jihyo! It’s me, Nayeon! The bunny girl? ” Nayeon smiled widely to show her bunny teeth.

 

Jihyo let out a gasp and covered her lips with her hand. “No way!"

 

Nayeon giggles and stands to hug Jihyo. "Yes way."


“You look...you look-”


“Skinny?” Nayeon chuckles.

 


“You look so gorgeous!” Jihyo said. “You were very fat the last time I saw you, that's why I didn’t even recognize you right away.”



Nayeon gently taps Jihyo’s back and withdraws from the hug.



“Well, the culprit is the school of medicine. They did this to me.” Nayeon said as she went to her seat again. 

 

Nayeon intertwined her hands. “So...Why is president Jihyo here?”

 

Jihyo’s aura was back from being sad again like earlier when she entered the office.



“Well...Uhm...These past months, I’m struggling a lot with my breathing.” Jihyo started to explain as Nayeon listens attentively.

 

 “Sometimes...I randomly faint. Also, my legs and other parts of my body are swelling. And every time I lay, I experience shortness of breath.” Jihyo said.

 

Nayeon nodded and got up to approach Jihyo. She placed her black stethoscope on Jihyo's chest and put it on both of her ears.


She scribbled something on her medical papers after evaluating Jihyo's heartbeat.


"Your heartbeat appears to be abnormal. It has an odd thumping rhythm and skips a beat every time. Nayeon explicates, "That explains your shortness of breath."


"Is it serious?" Jihyo inquired, her anxious expression is visible on her face.


After Nayeon heard Jihyo's heartbeat, she knew exactly what he was going on. She immediately knew what kind of heart condition Jihyo had.  It tears Nayeon's heart, yet she must remain calm in order for Jihyo to remain unfazed.

 

Nayeon clears . “I still have to put you in maybe two or three examinations for us to be sure. But, Jihyo…” Nayeon reaches Jihyo’s hand and gently holds it.


“I can see from your heartbeat that you have Restrictive Cardiomyopathy,” Nayeon said.


“English, please, Dr. Im,” Jihyo said.

 

Nayeon tries her best to explain it gently and carefully to Jihyo. “It's a condition in which your heart's chambers stiffen throughout time. Your heart is capable of squeezing well, yet it is unable to relax regularly between beats. This makes it more difficult for your heart to pump blood. The circulatory system becomes clogged with blood.”



“How much is my survival rate?” Jihyo asked, her voice trembling and so as her hands. 


Nayeon squeezed her hands more tightly. 

 

“Well now, based on what I see...It’s 30%.” Nayeon said. 

 

Jihyo started crying uncontrollably. Nayeon immediately hugged her tightly. "Shhh, Jihyo-ssi, don't cry," she says quietly as she Jihyo's back.

“Please, Nayeon...I-I still want to live longer. I still h-haven’t reached my dreams yet, t-to be an architect and make a name on my own.” Jihyo said as she sobs on Nayeon’s shoulders.


Nayeon closed her eyes and nodded. Her heart breaks seeing Jihyo in this state. Jihyo was someone she knew to be very caring and supportive. She's like a ray of sunshine, brightening everyone's day with her enthusiasm. When they were in high school, she was the only one who protects Nayeon from bullies.  high school.

 

Jihyo used to be her best friend. They only parted ways when Nayeon needed to pursue a career in medicine.

 

She promised Jihyo that she would give something back in the future. This is it.

 

 

 

Nayeon whispers to Jihyo. “Stop crying, Jihyo-ssi. I will take care of you, promise. Take my words. From now on you will be under my care until we’ll find a heart donor for you.” She withdrew from the hug and cupps Jihyo’s face and wiped her tears. 



“For now, I will talk to the pharmaceutical team to find or maybe develop the best medicine in order to prevent your condition from getting worse while we look for a heart donor, okay?” Nayeon said with full of assurance. 

 

Jihyo nodded and hugged Nayeon tightly. “Thank you, Nayeon. Thank you! Thank you! You’re an angel!”



Nayeon just smiled and buried her face on Jihyo’s shoulder.



After a while, Nayeon called the nurses to admit Jihyo to the most exclusive room in the hospital. 



She sighed and walked towards Tzuyu’s desk. 

 


“Tzuyu.” Nayeon called.

 

“Yes, Dr. Im?” Tzuyu turned to her.

 

Nayeon takes off her spectacles and inserts both hands in the pocket of her lab coat.

 

"Convene a meeting with the pharmaceutical team with their top chemists," Nayeon instructed.

 

“Noted that,” Tzuyu said and typed something on her computer. “Meeting for tomorrow-” 

 

“No. Set up an urgent meeting right immediately," Nayeon stated emphatically.

 

Tzuyu has a stunned expression on her pretty face. "You do realize we can't do that, right?" ”

 

“Says by who?” Nayeon raised her eyebrows.

 


Tzuyu let out a defeated sigh and rolled her eyes, "Fine."