Chapter 5: unknown is finally known

anywhere in lifetime with you

“Is she that important to set up an urgent meeting like this?”  Tzuyu inquires as they walk through the hospital corridors, her hand clutching a binder folder containing Jihyo's documentation, including all of the CT result sheets.


“Yes, Tzuyu. She's the one person who has ever kept me safe during my high school years. I'd like to repay the favor. She deserves it.”  Nayeon said. “Anyways, how many chemists were able to make it? ” She asked.

 

“Two."  Tzuyu replied, "And four from the pharmaceutical team."

 

Nayeon nodded. “Good. That's a sufficient number."

 

As they walk, everyone bows at them, and they did the same to show respect.

 

Even though Nayeon will soon be the proprietor of this hospital, she doesn't like to be treated any differently than the other hospital employees. She simply wants everyone to think of her as a doctor, not as an heir or someone in a higher position.

 

 

 

After a few minutes of walking, they arrived at the hospital's conference room.

 

 

"Do you want me to accompany you inside?"  Tzuyu asked.

 

Nayeon nodded, "Yes, please."

 

 

As they were about to go inside when Nayeon’s phone suddenly rang.

 

 

Nayeon answers the phone as she gestures Tzuyu not to wait for her.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Can you come over here later?” Sana asked without even greeting her.

 

“Hello to you, too.” Nayeon sarcastically said.

 

“Shut up, Nayeon. Bring Tzuyu, okay? Bye!” Sana said and immediately ended the call. 

 

Nayeon scoffs and stares at her phone in disbelief. “This .” She murmurs.

 

She turned her phone on silent and walked towards the conference room.

 

When Nayeon enters, everyone stood up and bowed at her; she did the same and motioned that they didn't have to.

 

Tzuyu introduces each person to Nayeon, "These are the people from the pharmaceutical team."

 

The man bows and says, "Pleasant to finally meet you, Dr. Im."

 

"Likewise," Nayeon replied, smiling.

 

"And here is Ms.Hirai Momo, our Analytical Chemist," Tzuyu continued, introducing her to a Japanese woman who appears to be very gorgeous without actually attempting. Her bangs make her appear adorable while also sensual and alluring.

 

"Nice to meet you, Dr. Im," Momo said, shaking her hand.

 

Nayeon greeted her with a smile and a handshake.

 

“Nice to meet you, too, Ms. Hirai. Where’s your partner? ” Nayeon asks, scanning the entire room.


"She'll be here in a minute—Oh, there! She's here!"  Momo remarked, her gaze fixated on the tinted glass door.

 

Tzuyu smirked slightly, therefore Nayeon shifted her gaze to the entrance as well to see what was going on.

 

Nayeon's knees began to weaken as soon as the girl entered the room.

 

She was breathless for a second and tried to gasp for air.

 

She had not and never anticipated this moment to happen.

 

Regardless of how busy she is, Nayeon has always been that person who purchases VIP tickets and secures seats at events just so she can see her; even from distance. Yet, she's here in front of the woman she has only admired her entire life just because she uttered her wish above the sky along with that sudden appearance of that damn star.

 

Her heart has abruptly clenched, as she is unable to say a single word.

 

How is that even possible? Is this even real? Nayeon thought to herself. 

 

It's as if the unidentified longing has finally been acknowledged.

 

She grips the hem of her white coat tightly.

 

"Mina..." Nayeon said quietly, almost in hushed tones. Her voice sounded hushed and raspy; as if she had been holding her breath.

 

 

Tzuyu cleared in an attempt to de-stress. She most likely sensed a shift in Nayeon's aura.

 

“Dr. Tzuyu said, "This is Ms. Mina Myoui, the medicinal chemist, not the fourth member of your favorite girl trio."

 

Nayeon desperately wanted to scowl at Tzuyu, but she lacked the energy to do so.

 

Momo beside Mina looks confused, “What the fourth member?


 “A-ah! Don’t mind Ms. Chou! ” Nayeon suddenly regained the courage to finally speak again, she let out an odd chuckle. “She might have forgotten to take her medicine again.”


Tzuyu was about to whine but Mina suddenly spoke.

 

"Nice to meet you, Dr. Im," Mina stated bluntly, not bothering to smile as she extended her hand for a greeting.

 

Nayeon swallows hard as she accepts her hand in hers. "N-nice to meet you, Mina—I mean Ms. Myoui," says Nayeon.

 

Mina tenderly squeezed Nayeon's hand as she glanced at it. "Are you fine, Dr. Im?" Mina inquired,  "Your hand's chilly and trembling. ”

 

Nayeon's eyes widened as she drew her hands back. "Of course!" 


I have to get my together. Nayeon thinks.

 

Everything was stifling her, especially Mina's presence, so she combed her hair with her fingers to relax a little. She began walking towards the table and motioned for everyone to have a seat.


 

 


 


 

Nayeon sat on the round table's center chair, while Tzuyu sat on her right side.   Nayeon locked her gaze on Mina, who is walking elegantly towards the table with a lab coat on, looking sophisticated.


 Despite the impulse to hurl due to the unusual ticklish feelings in her stomach, Nayeon maintained her cool. She suddenly felt an overwhelming urge to grab Mina and embrace her.


When Mina chose the chair on her left side, Nayeon felt as if her knees had turned to liquid. Thank goodness she's already sitting, because if she wasn't, she'd be on the floor right now.


“What’s with the sudden meeting, Dr. Im?" Momo inquired, and the others nodded, indicating that they shared the same thought as Momo.

 

Nayeon clears and takes off her glasses; in her peripheral vision, she notices Mina staring at her.

 

“Sorry for calling an urgent meeting this late but well...uhm, here…” Nayeon gestured to Tzuyu to distribute the documents.

 

The people read it immediately.

 

“As you can see, this patient of mine has a heart disease known as Restrictive cardiomyopathy, the rarest form of the heart-muscle disease.” Nayeon began to explain.

 

Gone is the simp Nayeon from earlier. She now looks very professional as she starts her elucidation.

 

“I called your team because I know that this will not be an easy operation for me. She only has a short time to live and as you all know, it’s difficult to find a heart donor these times.” Nayeon pauses and intertwined both of her hands, she saw Mina gaze at her hand for a while. 

 

Nayeon got distracted again so she avoided her eyes from staring at the younger girl.

 

“And so, I want to ask your team to develop a drug that can prevent her condition from getting worse as we look for a heart donor. Is that possible?” Nayeon asked, looking hopeful for the team’s response. 

 

Mina raised her eyebrows and started to speak. “This disease is very rare as you said, Dr. Im; and clearly, out of 10 people, 2 or 3 can only survive,” Mina started.

 

Who could have thought that a chemist Mina would look hotter than the artist one she sees in concerts and on national television?

 

Nayeon bit her lower lip to suppress her smile.

 

Before speaking, Nayeon clears . "That's right, Ms. Myoui. The surgery will determine the patient's survival, and that's on me. The prognosis is dependent on the source of the ailment, and it is usually poor," Nayeon remarked gently, looking Mina in the eyes. "However, this patient's health is still stable, therefore I'm asking you to come up with a drug that can keep her heart condition steady for as long as possible."

 

While reading over the papers, Momo commented, “This will be a very difficult and long procedure, Dr. Im. How much time do we have?”

 

“A month.” Nayeon firmly said.

 

Nayeon knows well. Jihyo doesn't have much time. Based on the results, her heart becomes weaker and weaker every hour. If she will not do something about it, it might be too late for Jihyo. Nayeon doesn't want that. 

 

Momo looks surprised by the doctor's response. It's understandable, though. 

 

"This is extremely time-consuming and demanding; perhaps this patient is really important to you?" Mina remarked.

 

Nayeon replied, "Very important."

 

“Your girlfriend perhaps?" Mina inquired once more.

 

Nayeon’s eyes widened. “N-no, of course not! I’m single, Ms. Myoui.” She immediately said.


Suddenly, Nayeon felt Tzuyu secretly chuckling alongside her.

 

She was stunned by what she had just uttered. It was totally unnecessary! Nayeon ponders.

 

She clears before speaking. "Uh, she's not my girlfriend or anything like that," Nayeon clarifies, and Mina simply nods with a small smirk on her face. "But she's a dear friend."

 

"Noted that, Dr. Im. We will do our best to come up with something within that span of a short time." Momo stated.

 

Nayeon forced a smile, "Thank you, Ms. Hirai."

 

Nayeon wanted to grunt. Why did she even say that she’s single? Damn it.

 

"I believe that concludes this meeting. I'm keen to work with this team, and I'm hoping to see some improvement by next week," Nayeon stated as she stood up.

 

“Don’t worry, We'll call you immediately once we have made progress,” Mina said.

 

Nayeon nods and smiles. “Meeting adjourned, then.” She declared. 

 

Everyone in the room bowed to Nayeon and began to leave the conference room; except for the two chemists, Tzuyu, and her.

 

Tzuyu and Momo started to chit-chat in the corner of the room; they appear to be pals. Knowing Tzuyu, she rarely engages in any conversation with anyone other than her and Sana. Nayeon simply bit her lower lip and began to grab her and Tzuyu's belongings from the table.

 

“Dr. Im,” Mina called.

 

Nayeon was baffled and almost dropped their belongings. She laid her palm on her chest and murmured, "Jesus Christ..."

 

“You’re a bit skittish, huh?” Mina.

 

“I’m not. I was just surprised. I thought you left already, Ms. Myoui.” Nayeon, as she picks up the ballpen that fell on the floor.

 

"Give me your phone number," Mina demanded unexpectedly.

 

Nayeon stood up and cocked her head to look at Mina. "Huh?

 

So I can keep you updated on the development, Dr. Im," Mina replied casually, making Nayeon feel embarrassed.

 

How could she even forget about that! Nayeon thinks.

 

“R-right. Please hand over your phone to me."

 

Mina handed her phone to Nayeon, who promptly put up her phone number.

 

“Here.”


Mina fiddled with her phone for a moment. “Great. Done.”

 

“Dr. Im! Is there any chance you could join us for dinner tonight?" Momo suddenly appeared beside Mina out of nowhere.

 

Mina appears to be anticipating Nayeon's response.

 

"Yes, she is—" Tzuyu said but was cut off immediately by Nayeon.

 

"Please accept my apologies, Ms. Hirai!  We also have dinner plans for tonight. Perhaps next time? " Nayeon stated.

 

“Aww, too bad.” Momo pouted. “But alright, next time! Tzuyu said that you’re fun to be with, so maybe we’ll get along together.”

 

“Sure, Ms. Hirai,” Nayeon said then gave a gummy smile.

 

“Just call me Momo, Dr. Im! And just call Ms. Myoui, Mina. Right, Mina-ssi?” Momo looked at Mina, the younger girl just nodded in approval.

 

Nayeon chuckles. “Alright. We have to go now, Momo,” Nayeon bows at Momo. “Mina,” she hoarsely said and bowed to the girl as well. 

 

Tzuyu did the same. 

 

Tzuyu and Nayeon started to leave the conference room. "What do you mean we have plans? We're free!" Tzuyu whimpers.

 

"Shut up, Tzuyu. Sana asked us to come over to her condo."  Nayeon said.

 

"What for?" Tzuyu asked.

 

"Neither do I know," Nayeon answered and shrugs her shoulders.

 

Whatever Sana desires, Nayeon is grateful that they have already exited the meeting room. She may appear calm on the outside, but she really wants to vomit and pass out. She is still in disbelief that her wish really has come true. This is completely messed up and given the fact that Mina seems to not remember anything about her being very popular makes it even messier. 

 

 

 

 

 

(i edited some parts in this chapter, so you might want to read it again. hehe, thank you!)