15 | unrequited love hurts, doesn't it?

2nd Lead Syndrome
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Six days had already passed, and nothing much happened. Well, I spent my days hanging out with the track team, training for the upcoming competition on Wednesday, and now sometimes having friendly group dates with the main characters.

I tried avoiding them, but they kept popping up out of nowhere! I think it's because this world forced me to become a main character. So, as the days flowed without anything strange happening (be it in the storyline or the Imaginari app), I simply accepted my fate and embraced the main character-ish traits that had been happening to me.

As I've been getting noticed by almost every student I pass by in the hallway, there was no point in wearing those thick glasses anymore. I often hear them complimenting my looks or noticing that I was getting very close to those four popular main characters.

I sometimes cringe whenever they mention it, but others began to call us the Unreachables... because we looked like a group that would be hard to reach and approach.

Brrrrr, just thinking about it makes me wanna punch something!

In those six days, I managed to increase Jimin's happiness meter a lot!

Of course, it was inevitable that I would pull in her close friends along with her because, apparently, I've been labeled as the nicest of the four and the gateway to the possibility of becoming friends with them.

Whoever labeled me that first, I swear... I'm going to kick their ...

Out of all roles, a gatekeeper? Seriously? Who am I? Cerberus?

Arrghh, anyway!

Looking back at the characters I'm friendly with, I made tons of good progress just by being myself and being a normal high school student.

Jimin: 73%
Aeri: 44%
Yizhuo: 36%
Junwoo: 30%
Ryujin: 98%
Yujin: 30%

Because Ryujin and the Kim Minjeong in this world had already established a strong friendship, it didn't surprise me when I saw Ryujin's meter staying at 98%. They've been friends since junior high school, so it's only natural.

Speaking of Ryujin, I'm resting right now on the bleachers with her and Yujin.

We just finished ten laps of running, and so far, I'm doing amazing! I'm not sure what Kim Minjeong had been doing to have such weak stamina, but after consistently not missing practice, I can run about three laps at a medium pace without getting tired now!

As long as I don't sprint in the middle. Otherwise, it'll take me two laps to get tired.

"Hey, Yujin, why do you run?"

Ryujin suddenly asked as she took a sip from her thermos. Out of breath while I wiped my sweat with a towel, I was seated at the very left, making it easy to look at them both.

Yujin's mouth was full of gimbap, so it took her a few seconds before responding.

"I like running... It's like running away from my responsibilities, y'know?" Yujin shrugged, "This is the best stress reliever for me." She grabbed a big piece of gimbap and put it into . "Thwe mmfressure pmfwom my parents is mfffinsane- !!"

Not letting her finish, I playfully kicked Yujin's leg. "Don't talk when your mouth is full, stupid."

Ryujin laughed, "You almost got rice on my face."

Yujin covered and swallowed, "Sorry, sorry~" she chuckled. "Anyway, how about you two? Why do you guys run?"

Ryujin hummed in thought, "Hmm, in my case... I didn't really come from a wealthy family like you guys. This is an amazing opportunity for me to study in a prestigious school like this for free." She playfully nudged me on the shoulder. "Look at this gal though... Her family's lowkey one of the wealthiest tycoons in this country, but she still chose to try for a scholarship."

I couldn't help but chuckle nervously at her revealing that to Yujin.

Not wanting to alter Kim Minjeong's whole personality to Ryujin, I tried my best to remember facts about her and thought for a long moment before letting out a huff and speaking.

"I never liked running."

That was a lie and it was only about me. Truthfully, Kim Minjeong loves to run. She never wanted to admit these things and would constantly hide them, but I wanted to emphasize the fact I'm slowly becoming one with Kim Minjeong.

Every day, I have this strange feeling that the original owner of this body is dissipating.

It feels like we're merging as the days go by.

It's kinda scary to think about.

I crossed my arms and continued, "I don't wanna keep relying on my parents. I want to become independent... and do nothing with the money they're earning. Although I appreciate the way they try to secretly help me or give me an allowance, I just don't wanna look like a rich person. I want to be liked for who I am, not by status or wealth."

Because the memories implanted in my head were still incomplete, I couldn't be sure about the main reason why Kim Minjeong didn't want to look like a wealthy person. However, one thing is for sure—these were her honest thoughts and memories.

Hearing my reason, Ryujin smiled. "Oh, right... I remember that time when you gave me your allowance so I could convince my parents to let me study here."

[ !!! 100% !!! ]
You have exceeded the meter's limit! If the Author wishes to go beyond, one must ⌿⍀⍜⎐⟒ ⏁⊑⟒⟟⍀ relationship!

"Helllooo? Minjeong? Earth to Minjeong~?"

Lost in thought while staring at the alert hovering over Ryujin's head, I didn't realize what was going on until Yujin snapped her fingers in front of my face.

I flinched.

They laughed at me for spacing out, and all I could do was think about the glitched text that alert had.

What do you mean gsahjkdhaksd relationship?!

And there's more to that meter?!!

Just thinking about it made my head hurt.

"Are you that tired that you spaced out?" Yujin grabbed a cold bottle of water and raised it against my cheek, causing me to recoil.

That was the most reasonable answer, so I just went along with it and nodded. Then, snatching the water bottle from Yujin's hand, I opened it and took a sip while giving her a light push as payback.

Being in the middle, Ryujin rolled her eyes and ducked away to avoid being crushed between us.

We goofed around for a while, even going back on the track to play race. While I won our sprinting match, Yujin unexpectedly overtook Ryujin's stamina and won our five-lap race.

And just as I thought all I had to do was pack up and walk with them to the locker rooms, I saw a tall figure running toward me from the direction of the soccer field.

Squinting to get a better look, I realized it was Junwoo.

He looked haggard and worried?

Telling Ryujin and Yujin to go ahead without me, I kept my eyes on Junwoo, who stopped running in front of me, panting. To take a breather, he huffed a few times and placed his hands on his knees.

I raised a brow, "Something wrong?"

"Yi...zhuo."

Junwoo stood up properly and faced me. I knew the soccer team training was three times harsher than ours considering the school's rooting for them to win the nationals, but I'd never seen the energetic and optimistic Junwoo this tired.

This never happened in the webtoon.

"Yizhuo is missing," Junwoo finally spoke, causing me to furrow my brows. "We asked her parents, and they said she didn't go home yesterday. We tried calling her phone, but no answer. It just kept ringing. Have you seen her?"

Hearing Junwoo's explanation made my head go blank for a long moment before I unconsciously pursed my lips.

I was sure... so sure that this never happened in the webtoon. However, there was a similar scenario that didn't happen until chapter fourteen where Jimin went missing.

She went somewhere far away after classes, never interacting with anyone.

The reason?

She saw Aeri kissing Junwoo on the cheek behind the bleachers. In that scene, Jimin becomes so hurt and confused since it's when she finally confirms Aeri's feelings for Junwoo.

Confirmed because... during chapter one's scene with the main couple in the classroom (that I prevented Jimin from hearing), Jimin wasn't as dense as Junwoo and always thought about the possibility of Aeri having romantic feelings for Junwoo.

Although she may look strong outside, she'd become vulnerable to unfamiliar feelings like love.

Thus, not knowing what to do, she decided to take her mind off of it by going to her favori

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter