Chapter three: A Fake Smile?

Mr. Perfect

It’s Monday and it's 5:30 am and I’m making breakfast after the shower I took. Today it’s my first day at WcSoft. I'm really excited and nervous. When they send me the Email with the contract, they also sent me the rules, everything it’s normal, they have a dress code which says you have to use formal clothes, I don’t know if other companies do the same, but it’s understandable, it’s an important and big company, the employees need to look professional. I wear solid, wide leg, Khaki pants and a striped print, white blouse with buttons in the front, I tuck the blouse inside, lastly, I put on white square toe mid-heeled boots. Also, I put on makeup, I use a brown shadow in the outer v of my eye very softly, a bit of golden glitter in the rest of my eyelid and I do a small wing for my eyeliner then I do the rest of my face, finally, I put on a pinkish coral lipstick. I brush my hair and style it with my straightener. I’m ready for work.

When I arrive at WcSoft, I take a deep breath and enter the building and I head to Mrs. Park’s office. I'll be working as her assistant. When I get there, I knock on the door and she lets me in, I say hi to her and bow, she looks really busy, she’s on a call and at the same time, she seems to be signing some papers. I sigh, and I sit down on one of the chairs that are in her office, it is quite big, I wonder if Mr. Jang’s office is bigger than this, I bet it is. For some minutes I’m in silence waiting for her to finish her call. I think it’s from an investor, Mrs. Park, trying to convince him to have a business dinner. When she finally ends the call, she sighs and then looks at me “Oh, Miss Kim, how are you? I’m sorry for making you wait for so long, let’s start” she tells me with a smile, “Yes, sure, Mrs. Park” I smile back.

I follow her to apparently my new office. When we get there, I notice it’s actually a lot smaller than hers, it has a desk with a computer, a chair, and a filing cabinet. “This is your new office, Miss Kim” She looks happy, “Ah, thank you, Mrs. Park,” I say as I look around the office, though, there’s not much to see, “So, what do you need me to do?” I press my lips together. “First, make yourself comfortable and then go to see me,” She tells me, “Okay”. She leaves and I’m by myself, I check the drawers of the filing cabinet and there’s nothing but an empty folder, then I sit down on the chair and it feels comfortable. I turn on the computer and it works well, but the desk has a little dust, so I clean it with a wet wipe I have in my purse. Everything seems perfect now, the size of my office doesn’t bother me and it’s not bad, I get up and approach the door, after, I look down the corridor and it’s all alone, my office it’s very near to Mrs. Park so I think it also must be near to Mr. Jang’s office. 

I go to Mrs. Park’s office after I finish organizing my desk with some things. I knock on the door and then she gives me a sign to let me in, “Mrs. Park” I bow, “Everything is okay?,” she asks me, “Yes, everything it’s perfect, I came here because you told me so”, “Right, sorry, I’m a bit distracted, I’m getting married in two months” She looks happy, but I find it a bit weird, why is she telling me that? I just met her a week ago. “Oh, really? Congratulations!” I fake a smile, then, after she tells me the details of her wedding and stuff, she hands me a pile of documents that I have to staple and then deliver them to different people in the building, and among them is Mr. Jang.

When I finish delivering the documents to my colleagues, I prepare myself to go to Mr. Jang’s office, even though I think he’s arrogant and petty, he’s my boss after all and he intimidates me. Then, I take the document and I head to his office. I get there and I knock and wait for a sign so I can go in, but I don’t receive it, so I try to look through the door since it’s made of glass but I can't because the glass is blurry and I can barely see anything. I open the door a bit and I don’t see anyone so I go in, it feels illegal but I want to finish this task already, I walk quickly towards the desk and then I leave the document on it. I open the door again to leave the office but when I do it, Mr. Jang is there “What are you doing?” he tells me. Damn it! I open my eyes wide but then I bow immediately “Mr. Jang!” I left some documents on your desk, I’m sorry” Then, I stand, and look at him, he looks… I don’t know, I think he’s emotionless. After some seconds, he enters his office and I’m still with him, he takes the door and opens it “Miss Kim, I need you to leave, please” he says with his arm extended indicating the exit and giving me a hint of a smile, “Of course, Mr. Jang” I bow again and then leave. On my way to my office, I think of what just happened. Did I see it wrong? Am I hallucinating? Did he just smile at me?! Maybe it was a fake smile. Calm down.

 

Author's note: I'll be updating next Tuesday, I'd appreciate a lot your comments and subscriptions:)