Chapter Two: Don't Be Dramatic

Mr. Perfect

After being confused about who was the CEO, I have to continue with the interview. Mrs. Park asks me some questions about my experience working and I tell her that I’ve only worked as a part-timer at restaurants or convenience stores. When you’re young it’s difficult to find a good job without previous experience and connections, something I don’t have, except thanks to Dareum who recommended me to one of his friends that works here and helped me to apply for the internship. After the interview, we shake hands and I do a small bow, “It was nice to meet you, Miss Kim” Oh no, that doesn’t sound like I’ll get the internship, I sigh but then she says “you start next week at 7:00 am, we’ll send you the details via Email” What. the. hell? “ What?” I shake my head as I say it, “I mean” I correct myself “yeah, thank you, Mrs. Park” I smile at her. Then, she says goodbye to me and I think she’s headed to do what Mr. Jang asked her, I try to imagine what it’s like to work for him, I think it’s a lot of exigency and work, I wonder if the poor Mrs. Park has time to rest, I shiver just thinking about it.

 After I’m out of the building, I text Dareum and I tell him we can celebrate now because I got the job, he doesn’t text me back, I guess he’s busy studying. I go back to the dorms and the place is alone, I guess my roommates are in their classes, then, I remember I have a class too, it’s Economic Analysis for Global Business, I don’t have time to change and I think about how I will have to organize my schedule to work and study at the same time, I head there a bit listless and almost dragging my feet.

Later on, I finish my class, I check my phone and I notice I have nothing but a text from Dareum, I sigh with disappointment, I have no friends nor a social life. It’s a message saying to meet at our favorite Barbecue restaurant at 7 pm. I'm excited to see him, we’ve only been texting each other for the past month, since he’s so busy studying and I... Well, before applying for the internship I was working as a part-timer as I mentioned before, I worked at night but it wasn’t that demanding, I did it to help my mom with her loans and my college fees, I’m relieved that I got the internship, the good thing is that I get paid because usually interns don’t get anything but experience but at this company apparently you do.

 I go to the dorms and one of my roommates is there, Go Ae Ri, she’s wearing a soft pink dress that suits her skinny body and pale skin, she’s also wearing a white hairpin that matches her dress and looks pretty in her long, black hair, the only similar thing we have is the color of the hair, mine is black as well but is shoulder length, I want to be as delicate and pretty as she is, I come back to reality and I say hi to her, she does the same thing but she adds “How was your interview?” I remember I mentioned that to her. We get along, I consider her like a friend I don’t know if she sees me like that, we’re the same age, talk to each other since we live together and sometimes we hang out, “It was great, I’m employed now, haha” I grin, “Good” she says as she packs some fashion books and her notes, “I have to go now, see you later” she looks at me “Okay, bye” I say and then she leaves.

When I’m getting ready for my celebration with Dareum, I put on a kind of baggy, mauve mist, cotton shirt with short sleeves, black skinny jeans, and white sneakers. I get there but I don’t see him so I wait sitting on a bench in front of the restaurant we agreed to meet. I text him and ask him if he’s already coming here but he doesn’t answer. Did something happen to him? It’s been half an hour, I get up from the bench and I call him, but he doesn’t answer again, I bet he has like a million missing calls from me. Some minutes later, he appears, he’s sweaty and his breathing is agitated as if he came all the way here running. “What happened?” I say worried and a little upset, he’s always late whenever we go out, most of the time because of his friends, I guess, this time it’s the same, “I was with some friends and time flew by.” he says with a tired breath. I sigh, “Let’s go in” I force a smile and try to forget about it, I just want to celebrate, I don’t want to feel sad nor like I’m not important to him. Maybe I’m just being dramatic.