Flashback chapter

Agent Moonlark

Sophie came home from school. She had spent all day being bullied and pushed around for being a “know it all” . 

 

She was relieved to be home and to sit in peace doing homework and reading her favorite series, HoO Heroes of Olympus. 

 

But when she got home she saw her mom in the doorway. Her mom seemed fidgety., as always.  Her and her dad had adopted her 1 year ago, although she never felt like family, more like a guest that had long overstayed. 

 

“We’ve decided to cancel your adoption,'' said her mom, looking thoroughly sorry. 

 

Sophie felt tears well up in her eyes and she ran out of the room as fast as her short 15-year-old legs could carry her. 

 

“Sophie, wait!” Her ex-mom shouted.  

 

Sophie didn’t turn around. 

 

Sophie ran into a dark, and deserted alleyway. She balled up all her anger and sadness. That's when she found a new pathway to let it out-a mental path. She forced all her negative emotions out…

 

She sighed with relief. All her emotions left her in a big rush. She didn’t know what she did, but it felt good. She was still sad but it was reduced to a small nagging in the back of her head. 

 

Suddenly she heard screaming and someone, no TWO someones fell out from behind the shadows and started withering in pain. But before she could do anything it stopped .

 

“Are you OK?” She asked as she helped them up. 

 

One of the figures brushed himself off. He seemed like an elderly person judging off his wrinkles and his strong smell of feet.. The other hooded  figure's hood hadn’t fallen off, it had kept on even when they fell over. 

 

The elderly one stood up and winced. 

 

“I didn’t realize you were such a powerful inflictor” He didn’t say it loudly but his voice still sliced through the bustling city noise. 

 

“Who are you?” She asked 

 

“Who I am is not important to you right now..” He said as if he was the most important person in the world and could boss around anyone he liked. Sophie rolled her eyes. 

 

“But,” He said, noticing her eye roll. “I will tell it to you” 

 

“Your real name!?” The other figure blurted out 

 

Sophie looked at him in surprise. The figues way of being quiet and blending into the shadows made her forget he was there. The figure's  voice though It had like a crisp accent to it, one that she had never heard before. 

 

“Yes, Fitz,” He said seriously. “It is about time you and your friends knew.” 

 

Sophie looked at the figure again so.. His name was Fitz? What kind of name was that???? 

 

“Why did you say my name!?” Fitz said suddenly, mad. 

 

“Because Sophie is one of us” He said in a voice like he was talking to a child. 

 

“What do you mean, one of you?” She asked, scared. “How do you know my  name?” 

 

“Sophie, we have been tailing you for the past few days, but that is a matter for another time.” 

 

He grabbed a weird green wrinkly beary from his cloak. Fitz watched him carefully as if he would try to trick him. The elderly one put the berry in his mouth and swallowed it whole. 

 

Almost immediately his features started changing. His hair grew thick full black strands, his face smoothed out and took the shape of a quite handsome face with crystal blue eyes and a set jaw bone. His swollen stomach became flat. Overall he had transformed into a handsome being. 

 

“LETO!?” Said Fitz, in shock and recognizing him. 

 

“Yes Fitz I am Leto” 

 

Fitz shook his head and pulled out a crystal. 

“Fitz, wait!” Leto shouted. 

 

“I need to tell my friends about this” he said firmly and then dissolved into the light. 

 

Sophie sat down. This was too much in a day. First her parents un-adopted her then these weird people showed up. What had happened to her relatively normal life!? 

 

Leto looked at her with a pity in his eyes. 

 

“Also even though you know my true name please call me Mr. Forkle as I do not want others knowing my identity. “

 

“Mr… Forkle?” She asked, her mind still spinning. 

 

“Yes.” He said simply. 

 

“So” She said, not quite sure what to say. “Why were you following me?” 


 

 “Ah. I was about to get to that” Mr. Forkle said, pulling out some red even more wrinkly berries than the last one. They smelled strongly like feet. Popping them into his mouth he said “So Sophie, we would like to recruit you” 

 

“Recruit me for what?” asked  Sophie. Her mind was dizzy from spinning so much. Mr. Forkle transformed back into his wrinkly old self. 

 

“To be part of the Black Swan, a spy agentcy. You Sophie will be the greatest spy we’ve ever had” He said with confidence in his tone. Sophie wasn’t as confident though. She was pretty clumsy but joining a spy agency DID seem cool. She would finally have a home and a new family.

 

Mr. Forkle added “By the way we all have code names Fitz’s is Agent Telepath.” 

 

“Ok,” Said Sophie, making up her mind. “I’ll join you” 

 

“You will!” His face lit up with excitement. 

 

“Under ONE condition” 

His face fell "And what would that be Miss Foster?"

“That I get to choose my code name” 

 

She said it with a smile on her face. The smile must have been contagious  though, because Mr. Forkle was smiling when he said,

 

“That can be arranged, what would you like it to be?” 

 

She thought for a moment. “Agent Moonlark” she said, liking the sound of that. 

 

Mr. Forkle held out one hand to her and the other was grasping a beautiful purple crystal. She grabbed his hand as he angled the crystal so that the sun shined through it. 

She let the warm light carry her away, and she never looked back. Not once.