Leap Year

23:59PM

Title: Leap Year

Genre: Romance, Angst

Rating: PG

Words: 1023

Guest-Starring: N.A.

Summary:  It’s the end of high school and Siwon will be heading to the other side of the coast to attend university. He wants to confess to Yuri, his crush for the past four years, before it is too late. The story is told from Siwon’s point of view.

-

I gripped on tightly to the bouquet of pink roses in my hand as I stood in front of my full length mirror and checked myself out from head to toe. My hair was styled neatly with wax, my skin looked flawless, my checkered blue long sleeve shirt was crisp and my pants were well-ironed. I knew I had to look my best today because it was my last chance.

In a blink of the eye, the arduous journey through high school had come to an end. I was on my way to the West Coast on a scholarship to UCLA, being the only one who made it from our high school to this prestigious university. Truth be told, I had always been the top student who excelled in every subject, led the school in numerous science competitions and was every teacher’s favorite student. But being the best in everything isolated me from the social butterflies of my school. Especially the girl I fancied since February 29 2008, exactly four years ago.  

I guess you could call her my first crush since I never had any interest in girls before that fateful day. She was the lead in the school’s annual theatre production, playing the role of a talented dancer. As I watched her dance gracefully on the stage in her flowing white gown, with her long, curly hair tied up into a tight bun, my heart fluttered. Since then I had been silently admiring her from a far. When she passed by the hall way, I will gaze at her silently while keeping a poker face despite the butterflies in my stomach. Occasionally, I will catch her eye and she would smile at me. But I am pretty sure she does that to most smitten male students as well.

 She is the most beautiful, popular and talented girl in high school while I was the nerd everyone would only approach if they needed help. I knew I was not good enough. But today, I had decided to be a man and express my interest in her. This day happens only once every four years and I told myself that I am not going to waste another four years being a coward. It was now or never.

Yuri is throwing a party at her house today and everyone graduating with her was invited. Of course, I was going to make good use of this opportunity and try to catch her away from the crowd to surprise her.

I was now standing outside the door as I heard loud music blasting from inside. I pressed the door bell and waited. The door swung open with beautiful Yuri staring back at me with her large, watery eyes. She flashed a smile at me which instantly made my heart accelerate.

“Welcome! Come on in!”

She said enthusiastically and held me by the arm to lead me inside. The house was filled with many familiar faces. At the corner was the football team having some cold beer as they flirted with the cheerleaders. Then there were the less popular kids hanging out by themselves and having a game of twister. I knew I belonged on neither sides, I was on my own.

“Siwon, would you like some beer?”

I blinked at her and froze for a moment. She actually remembered my name despite not having exchange a word with me before for the past few years. Then it hit me that my name was actually quite well known for the wrong reasons such as being too clever and always getting the teacher’s attention. She would have been an isolated idiot if she never heard any malicious gossip about me.

“Sure, why not?”

She handed me a can of beer and took one for herself.

“Why are you holding flowers?”

She realized the bouquet of flowers that I was holding, which no one else noticed because they were too busy with their own activities. Funny how it took her awhile to ask, considering how odd I looked holding flowers at an alcohol party.

“Could we talk outside?”

I gestured to the open area outside of the house where there was no one. Yuri eyed me a little suspiciously but shrugged her shoulders and agreed.

“These are for you.”

I said in a shaky voice as I presented the bouquet to her. Yuri gasped and slowly took them from me. She smelled the roses and smiled blissfully.

“I know this may seem really creepy to you but I always admired you since you performed onstage four years ago. I have been trying to talk to you but every time I see you I get tongue-tied. This is the end of high school and I know that I may never get to see you again. I just want to let you know you are my first crush and my only crush in high school. I’m sorry; I’m not really good with words.”

As I reached the end of my confession, I wiped away the beads of sweat that was falling down my forehead. I cannot believe something that sounded so simple took me so long to express. But now my knees were starting to feel weak as I looked at her surprised face.

She hugged me tightly as I continued to remind rooted on the ground.

This is a dream. This is not happening. I could not believe my ears when I heard those words coming from her angelic voice. She let go of me and I grinned foolishly, still not believing what is happening. This only happens in fairytales or romantic movies, not to a simple nerdy boy like me.

“I’ve been waiting for you to talk to me since like, forever.”

With that, she hooked her arm with me as we walked around the garden together. She told me she’s was going to college at the West Coast, much to my delight. She told me she had no friends going there and I told her I would be with her, if she was willing to be my friend. She cheekily replied that we could be something more someday.  

-

I am trying out to write in point of view format for the first time. I am sorry that the story is not really interesting, just trying out for the first time :)

Thanks for all the support!