Four

A Letter in the Wind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting at the table with no one around, Hyukjae took a paper and a quill with an inkwell so he could write. He wasn't one to do that sort of thing, but then he couldn't keep the feelings in his heart.

After all, he couldn't stop thinking about Donghae.

Everything about Donghae was amazing and unique. His smile, his laugh, his voice and the way he saw the world. Donghae was like one of those rare people to be found. He couldn't be imitated or anything like that. Donghae was everything the world needed and maybe even more.

So that's exactly why Hyukjae started writing a letter. He didn't know if he could get the words in their correct order to praise Donghae, but at least he was exposing his feelings – even if he wasn't going to deliver this letter to the pink-haired prince.

It was a simple letter, but very personal. Hyukjae folded it and put it in his pocket just as Jongwoon walked into the kitchen and arched an eyebrow as his friend smiled and waved. The older alpha knew the younger one too well to know something was up.

- Are you fine?

- Yes. Why this question?

- I don't know... You came back from fishing as if life had given you an extra breath of happiness. What happened between you and the prince?

- Nothing. We just talked while we were fishing. – and when Jongwoon didn't believe it, Hyukjae said – Alright… I think I'm in love with him.

And the alpha laughed.

- I figured it out.

- Then why did you ask?

- Because it's more fun to see you squirming because you don't know how to deal with it. – and as the two were alone there, Jongwoon sat next to Hyukjae and continued – I think you're scared.

- Of course I am. After all, the prince is still a prince. If I, a simple guard from a poor family, dream too much, the Emperor might think I'm doing something wrong. And I don't want to be punished.

- You just think too much, Lee Hyukjae. I think the prince is old enough to decide who he would be with.

Hyukjae sighed.

- I know that, but he must not choose me. I'm not a good suitor because I have no title but sir.

Jongwoon pursed his lips. It wasn't uncommon for alphas and omegas to be destined for each other. However, it would be difficult for Hyukjae and Donghae because they were so different. One was a simple servant who would be changed at the first opportunity. The other was a prince who would likely marry an earl to establish a strong bond with some important house.

- I don't know what to tell you, friend. The situation would certainly be easier if you were on the same level. But maybe you should show up at the dance and ask the prince to dance. After that, you will see what happens.

Hyukjae laughed.

- Yes. The Emperor is going to kick me in a place where it will hurt for a long time. Then he can punish me worse.

Jongwoon arched an eyebrow.

- You are very melodramatic, Hyukjae. Wouldn't it be better if you thought of good things?

- There's no way I can think of good things now, Jongwoon. It's like anything I want to have with the prince is forbidden, even a simple conversation about fish.

- But what do you feel for the prince, anyway?

- I feel he is the most perfect person ever seen in the whole world. He has a charming smile and a laugh that fills my heart with joy. And whenever we talk, he makes me feel comfortable without our differences getting in the way. The prince is intelligent and independent. – Hyukjae laid his head on the table and muttered – I don't think I need to say anything else.

The older alpha had to laugh. Indeed his friend was bewitched by the out-of-reach omega. But Jongwoon didn't laugh in a mocking tone. He laughed because that was the first time in ages that he had seen his friend suffering for love. This time a forbidden love.

- You know... I think you just need to think better and more about what's going on. Feelings are messy after all.

- Yes, but they shouldn't be so messy. I... I just don't know what to do, because feeling all this is a little frustrating.

- Then turn that frustration into poetry. – Jongwoon smiled – Poetry is an art form where you just need to expose your feelings to yourself or to the world.

Hyukjae remembered the letter in his pocket.

- Well... I think I can do that, but I also think we shouldn't talk much about this subject. As far as we are from the servants, I don't know what the lady or the coachman would tell the Emperor.

Jongwoon nodded because he knew very well how very gossipy some servants could be. He already faced this once.
But while the alphas were talking in the kitchen, the omegas were in Ryeowook's room arranging pillows and bedding. The blond omega had never in his life folded a blanket before, but he found the task amusing – and he even considered doing it in the palace.

- I still can't believe you always make your bed when you're here. – Ryeowook said as soon as he hit the pillow on the window – And don't you do that in the palace?

- I tried, but you know how things are there. A servant said that if I did her job, she would go out. I even argued, but she said I should act like a prince.

Ryeowook rolled his eyes.

- Anyway, I like not being treated like a prince here. Omma is going to freak when she sees the calluses on my hands.

- And you have fun with it.

- Of course I do. I'm so tired of hearing that I'm not interested in the activities she wants to teach me.

- Gardening is very good.

- But I prefer to be near the flowers in another way. – and so Ryeowook put his hands on his hips when he saw his bed made – And that was a beautiful job. – and then he looked at Donghae – And you?

- What?

- Did you catch fish?

- Ah... Sir Lee helped me with that.

Ryeowook laughed and said as he wiggled his eyebrows:

- He helped you catch the fish, didn't he?

Donghae rolled his eyes, but he couldn't help but smile because yes... Hyukjae helped him.

- I knew it! – Ryeowook celebrated – He helped you, didn't he?

- Yes, but don't get too excited. You know there are things that cannot happen.

- And why?

Donghae closed the door, sat on the bed and said:

- Nothing in the world would make appa accept Sir Lee as my husband.

- But you don't need to become an Emperor.

- I know that, but think with me: appa wants me to marry an alpha who is from a rich family. If he knows I'm interested in an alpha who has a dad in prison and an aunt and uncle selling rugs, appa will laugh and lock me in his room for days until I get that idea out of my head.

- And why don't you run away?

Donghae arched an eyebrow.

- What?

- That's right. Escape with your alpha on a romantic adventure.

- And if appa finds us, he's going to kill Sir Lee and I'm going to be sent to a House of Omegas and I don't want to be sent to a House of Omegas.

Ryeowook shuddered. The House of Omegas was the last place an omega wanted to be.

- Well... Then don't run away, but I don't think appa will complain if you tell him there's an alpha that interests you.

- I don’t know. I just don't think appa is going to like it. However… – Donghae smiled when he looked at Ryeowook – To smell his scent so close was such an incredible thing. I could feel my nostrils flaring and my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my mouth.

- And did you feel anything else? – with the pink haired omega nodding, the blonde laughed – Ah! So you're not that innocent.

- Of course I’m not. In case you forgot, my heats are regular and I'm always alone when it happens, but that's not the point. I felt good with someone like Sir Lee around me and I've never felt this way before.

Ryeowook pursed his lips and muttered:

- Why is it that you and Heechul live a forbidden love? I mean your first time loving someone is forbidden love.

Donghae sighed.

- I don’t know. I guess things happen that way, but... I don't want to stop trying to be happy at least once in my life.

- So that means you go against all the rules of our appa?

- Maybe? I do not know. It's all very confusing right now. My heart feels like it's going to burst through my chest and my pheromones make me want to shout out.

Ryeowook was enjoying the fact that Donghae was experiencing his first love, so he grabbed his brother's shoulders and said:

- Shout out, Donghae. Let everyone know who you are. Hide no more.

- So you agree if I stay here for another week?

- With Sir Lee? – Donghae nodded – Of course I agree and I can't wait for the day I see you two together.

Donghae chuckled and tried to calm down. He was so excited that he felt a little dizzy when he was hugged by Ryeowook. But either way, he didn't want to give up everything he was feeling.

~~~
Later...

Chaeyeong and the lady made dinner together and they all went to the fireplace outside the house so they could have dinner. If anyone had said that Ryeowook would have these experiences, he would never have believed them. After all, all meals were taken at the table and there were all those rules of etiquette that the Emperor's heirs had to learn.

Ryeowook enjoyed being himself at Chaeyeong's house.

And it was seeing the golden-haired omega's true face that Jongwoon admitted to himself that he found Ryeowook very funny – especially when the omega made sarcastic remarks or laughed heartily at something someone else had said. He was very lively and was always doing things to get attention, but he also had his moments of seriousness and jokes or sarcastic comments were no longer a part of it.

To Jongwoon, Ryeowook was like a light breeze on a spring day. He was a speck of happiness amid a sea of ​​darkness and thoughts that left the alpha with no idea where to go. But if he saw that light, he sure as hell knew where to take the boat.

And even though he was with more people, Jongwoon could only look at Ryeowook and memorize his face. Each time he bit his lower lip after mocking Hyukjae. Every time he smiled when Donghae shook his head...

Jongwoon memorized every detail.

And so the inspiration hit him like a punch in the stomach.

But since he couldn't write at that moment, he kept every word in his mind so he could put it on paper later. Jongwoon found himself in a beautiful, but dangerous, trap when he realized he had a prince as his inspiration.

What else could he do but act like Hyukjae and secretly admire?

The problem for Jongwoon was that his lo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter