003

Halfpace

"May I take the plate?"

Hana looked up at the person asking her the question. The same familiar voice, the same familiar accent. It was the man she had met at Living Sober; standing by the table where she'd sit with the three elderly women. He still smelled like chocolate; but this time, he looked much more tired. He had a name tag on his uniform, and it made Hana chuckle. Life is funny sometimes, isn't it?

"Of course." She said in Korean.

Jongin smiled. He wasn't wrong. It was her. And this time, he knew her name, and she knew his, as she took a small glance at his name tag. Jongin smiled, taking the plates from the table, stacking them on each other to make it easier for him to carry. The man also wiped the table clean, before he looked over to the elderly women. "Good morning," he said calmly. "I will see you around, I guess." He said to Hana, before he turned around to leave the table. 

"Do you know each other?"

---

Hana finished her shift after dinner, and she walked towards the bus stop. She had left her bike at the repair shop the day before. It was a cold night, and she had to wait for around thirty minutes before her bus arrived. Not really a nice part of her day.

"You seem cold." A voice said.

Hana smiled, "yes, I should've known better than to wear a thin autumn jacket in late November." She said, "colder than Korea sometimes, huh?" she asked, putting both her hands in her pockets. "Moments like this make me miss home sometimes..." Hana missed home; the street food on the sidewalks, small stalls where she would be able to eat tteokbokki and drink with her friends–even though now the drinking would be a no-go for her. Hana missed home, but she couldn't go. Never.

"Why don't you go home, then?" Jongin asked. "Tickets are expensive and all, but... wouldn't it all be worth it once you breathe the air of your own home?" he asked the woman, taking out a pack of mints and took one for himself. "Mints?" he offered, before Hana declined, and he nodded. "I miss home too, but I think it's better for me to wait a couple more years from now."

"Huh, that's a long time," Hana wanted to know why, but she knew better not to disturb him with intrusive questions. "I think I'd have to make this place my home." She chuckled, "how was your day, by the way? Is this your first day working at this place?" she asked, trying to change the course of the conversation. "I've been working here for around the past year or so. Two more years to go before I can actually work and get paid my full salary," she chuckled.

"I'd have to train for a couple more years even if I used to work in five star hotels and cruise ships. The pay was amazing," Jongin said, recalling his old days. "...but I guess we all need a fresh start, huh?" he smiled. The thought of his own ex-wife and child was intruding his mind, before he brushed them away. "What makes you choose this city, if I may ask?"

Hana shrugged, "my brother and I live together. I came to join him. I... I don't even know why I chose this city, to be honest, but it reminds me of Seoul so much." Hana stared at the road in front of her, where cars were passing by. "How about you? Anything interesting in particular?"

Jongin shook his head. "Nope. I think the main attraction was that this city has quite a lot of Korean diaspora. I thought there would be a lot, but by a lot they meant five thousand people, and it is hard to find them between millions of people living in this city." He said, thinking that his reasoning was quite silly. "Now that I think about it, it's quite silly, isn't it?"

"No, not at all." Hana chuckled, thinking that her reasoning was even more silly––she practically didn't choose it out of reason, she just chose the easy way. "I just chose the easy way, so I think props to you for actually doing your research..." she paused. "Oh, my bus is here!" she said, "thank you, Jongin-ssi. I really enjoyed talking to you." She said, getting into the bus. She bowed her head at Jongin, before she entered the bus.

The man nodded his head in response, and he smiled back at her. She was such a nice person to talk to; especially that both of them knew that they both just pulled themselves out of a situation that would not end well for most people, but they managed to pull themselves out and get through everything to continue living, moving away for a fresh start. Jongin was happy.

He was happy.

---

Oh Sehun was more than furious when he found out that she'd move away, but he was happy that she was still alive and well. No words could describe how he actually felt about finding where his ex-wife was. After a few weeks of trying to find her, he found her. Fake accounts here and there, stalking numerous people with the name 'Park Seunghee' resulted in nothing. But then he found her. Her name was Hana, not Seunghee. Thousands of miles away from home she was; so out of his reach.

"I will find you, Seunghee. I will take you back, and this time, I promise I'd love you. I promise I'd be better than before."