004

Halfpace

"I, Park Seunghee, take you, Oh Sehun, as my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, in rich and poor. I will love you, respect and honour you all the days of my life."

"I, Oh Sehun, take you, Park Seunghee, as my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health, in rich and poor. I will love you, respect and honour you all the days of my life."

---

 

"Hana-ssi."

Hana turned around to see Jongin stand not far away from her. She smiled at him, "hey," she said. "Let me guess... you're wondering why I did not attend LS meeting yesterday?" she asked. She didn't come yesterday, and she knew that he must've been confused as for why she didn't come–she didn't even come in to work in the morning. 

"You are correct," Jongin said, scratching the back of his head. "Well... I'm just wondering if you're okay. Yesterday, you did not come to work. I thought you had a night shift or something, but then after work, I didn't see you at LS." He said. He got so used to seeing Hana every three days in LS, after knowing her for around a month now, it felt weird to not see her there. They were colleagues for a month now, and Jongin had never seen Hana skip work nor not come to a meeting without telling him beforehand.

Hana sighed, "well, it was my wedding anniversary yesterday." She said with a bitter smile. She didn't want to talk about it, but well, what's the harm anyway? It's not like he would ask further questions. "It's nothing. I just don't come in on that day, every year." She said, putting plates on a tray so she could serve lunch for the elderly. "Don't you have work, Jongin-ssi?" She asked. "Sorry, I'm just... this is not the right time to approach me. I'm sorry."

Jongin nodded. "I understand. I'm sorry." He said. "Wedding anniversaries are hard. Mine too." He smiled, before he turned around. "Hey, Hana-ssi," he said. "If you ever need to talk... I'm here." Jongin said, before he smiled at the woman in front of him, and leave her, as it seemed like she did not have the time and energy to answer personal, intrusive questions.

"Hana, what's wrong?" Bettina asked. She noticed that Hana had not been in a good mood. She thought she'd ask the nurse and make sure that she was doing fine and not struggle on her own. "You know you can always tell us and we'd listen." She said, followed by a nod from Agatha. Both elderly ladies cared so much for the nurse that cared for them.

"Nothing, Bettina," Hana said with a chuckle. "Here's your food." She said, putting the plates in front of Bettina and Agatha, before she sat on her own chair. "I took a day off because yesterday was my wedding anniversary, that's it." Hana had never told any of the women that she was married, which was why they had a surprised reaction as they didn't know her history. 

"Oh, congratulations!" Bettina said with a smile. "You never told us about your husband," Agatha chimed in.

Hana shook her head, "no, we're... we're separated." She said. "It's been one and a half years or so." She smiled at the ladies, and she chuckled, "it's alright, ladies. Come on, you should eat. Your food will get cold. I will fetch you your hot drinks." She said, standing up and walking towards the buffet.

Without realizing, a tear fell off her eye. 

---

Hana saw the familiar man in the bus stop, and she sighed. "Jongin-ssi," she said. "I'm sorry for earlier today." She said, regretting the fact that she treated him a little badly earlier that day. "I'm sorry. I was just... I don't know how to explain it without oversharing, you know." She chuckled awkwardly, her eyes switching between looking at the road and at the man standing in front of her.

"That's alright, Hana-ssi." The man said with a warm smile. "For me, my wedding anniversary has always been hell." He said with a slight chuckle. "Two years have passed and I still can't believe it happened to me." He said, recalling his past. He clenched his hands, and put them in his pocket. "Two years is not a short time, yet I still cannot get over it."

Hana raised a brow. "What happened?"

"She told me that she didn't love me anymore." Jongin said. "I loved her, with every bit of my heart. I loved her dearly." He said. One could hear the pain in his voice when he said that she loved her dearly. "I wanted to forgive her, and walk out of her life. If it makes her happy, it will make me happy..." he paused, "but life is such a that it took her away from me forever."

Hana sighed. She could feel his pain, and she could one hundred percent sympathize with the man. "I understand." She said quietly. "I'm sorry for your loss, Jongin-ssi."

"Then I went to alcohol," he said, "I wanted to see her from a far. I wanted to see her bloom. I could no longer do that. She was just... gone. In a split second. Alcohol was the only thing there for me when I felt like I should just be with her. But I cannot do that anymore; I need to get better. No matter how much I want to return to that state when I'm numb, when I do not have to feel, and when I cannot feel anything, I cannot let myself slip into that state again." He smiled, the thought of his ex-wife, and his own daughter started to intrude. "I lost my ex-wife to a terrible accident. It wasn't my fault. I lost my daughter due to my alcoholism. It is my fault."

The woman gulped. "I'm sorry." She was speechless, and did not know what to say to the man. "You should be able to bring her here once you are declared sober and completely free from alcohol, no?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said, "not until I can prove that I have a full salary." He said, smiling, "her name is Haneul. She's... she's my everything. I missed her so bad, and every day I spend away from her, the more it hurts me." Jongin said. Nothing beats him to a pulp more than talking about his beloved daughter. "I... I'm sorry, Hana-ssi. I didn't mean to––"

"It's fine," Hana said. "I understand that. I might not get it a hundred percent. But I understand you."

Hana smiled at Jongin, "hey, come over for dinner. It's my brother's birthday. We might be able to give you a piece of home tonight."