- 1 -

Maybe This Time

 

Sandara Park frantically scanned her surroundings, eyebrows furrowing in concern as she tried to rummage through her tote bag. With her focus divided, Dara just can’t seem to find her purse. She expelled a frustrated breath as she once again looked back and roamed her eyes around the busy cafe while her hands were on their own mission to find her missing wallet.

 

After what felt like forever, she finally caught the familiar leather feel of her handy-dandy purse. A triumphant smile peeked at the corner of her lips as she fished out a couple of bills and handed them to the lady who has been sighing for the whole duration of her search operation. Flashing an apologetic smile to the cashier, Dara hurriedly grabbed her receipt and started another hunt.

 

Now, where could she be?

 

Café Forelsket isn’t that big of an establishment. But being it a Friday afternoon, the cafe was suddenly bustling with crowds. And it surely wasn’t helping her find who she was missing.

 

“One caramel macchiato and one strawberry shortcake for Sandara.”

 

Dara glanced back at the counter and held up her pointer finger at the barista, signaling him that she needs a second. She focused her gaze on the display rack near the door and an audible sigh of relief escaped her lips when she spotted who she was looking for.

 

She called her name and motioned for her to come quickly so they could enjoy their coffee and cake before heading home and calling it a day.

 

As soon as Dara reached the counter, she offered the barista another set of her apologetic smile and collected her drink. She her heels and started going in the direction of the empty seat she spotted just a while ago while she was on her manhunt; her eyes constantly trained on her companion who seems to be taking her time in reaching her because she keeps getting distracted with the fluffy bears that were on the display.

 

“Sandara?”

 

She was only two steps short before she reached the empty seat when she heard her name being called.

 

Dara stopped cold.

 

That voice.

 

Her usually calm, steady heart started thumping a little faster. Faster than normal. That voice.

 

“Is it really you?”

Sandara cannot be mistaken. She recognized that voice. Of course she would.

 

That was the same voice she longs to hear again for the past six years.

 

She had to place the tray down on the empty table before her because her arms suddenly felt lifeless. And she was afraid she’d drop the tray and make a mess.

 

Sandara inhaled, long and deep; trying to compose herself as she tried to steady her galloping heart.

 

After all these years, it still affects me the same. That voice.

 

“Jiyong?”

 

She was not prepared for the onslaught of familiarity that hit her when she finally turned and faced him, when she met his gaze. With the years that had stretched between them, the Jiyong standing in front of her seems different, yet familiar.

 

If that makes any sense.

 

He was standing before her, in the middle of a busy crowd, a surprised smile on his lips. And she tried her hardest to reciprocate.

 

“How have you been?” He asks.

 

“I’m going fine. You?”

 

“Fine as well.”

 

“Are you back for good?” Sandara wasn’t aware of herself asking that question out loud until she heard herself say it.

 

“Yes. I’m back for good.” Jiyong replied, a little too seriously as he met her gaze.

 

Not really knowing what else to say, Sandara pursed her lips. So as also to keep the words from escaping . With her heart beating inside her chest, she can barely hear the murmurs of the people around them.

 

“Looks like you didn’t change one bit,” Jiyong remarked with a chuckle. “How long has it been?”

 

“Six years,” replied Dara.

 

It wasn’t as if I was counting.

 

“Six ye—”

 

“Mommy!”

 

Dara turned to the owner of the voice, her little lady. Crouching down to the level of the kid, Dara pulled out a ply of wet wipes from her tote bag and wiped the hands of the five-year old in front of her.

 

“Mommy, can we buy this bear, please?”

 

“Your daughter?”

 

Dara took in a deep breath as she stood up and faced Jiyong once more, her hand clasping her daughter’s.

 

“Ours.”