Curiosity

Iced Tea & Iced Coffee

A glimpse of how Hyunjin met Heejin.

 

Heejin always walks her way to school. There isn't much to say about it, other than her carrying a paper bag that's holding a specialized box inside. Her steps have a little bounce in them as she navigates her way through the neighborhood.

Unexpectedly, an orange cat suddenly walks next to her when she made a turn. They look at each other once they realized they've got a strange companion next to them. They share a "what's up" nod and continue walking the same way until the cat speeds up when they make another turn.

Heejin knows all too well why.

The cat loudly meows as it runs towards a girl. "Oh, hey, Aeongie!" She greets the orange feline, petting it affectionately and bringing out a small bowl and pouring cat food into it. There's other strays surrounding her, all eating as much as they can with their shared bowls. "Here you go," The girl coos, placing the bowl down before the cat and watching it slowly blink at her before eating the offered meal.

Heejin, being a few feet away, watches with a certain fondness to her gaze. She clutches the paper bag for a moment before taking a couple of hesitant steps towards the girl. The sound of her shoes hitting the concrete catch not only hers but also the cats' attention once she was close enough.

She only hopes her words don't come out awkward.

"Hey," Her voice cracks. There goes all her confidence. Heejin attempts to save herself by coughing and trying again. "Um, hey, so, I've seen you around—Well, actually, we're in the same school, so of course, I have. and uh," Her eyes trail off from the girl's curious gaze to the cats' equally curious beady eyes.

The girl mimics her, "Uh—?"

The action makes her dart her eyes back up to the girl's eyes. "Since it's Valentines day," She reveals the paper bag. "I made you these," Heejin admits as the girl's hesitantly accepting the gift. "I don't know if you'll like them, but I'm hoping you will, so yeah. Enjoy?"

She stifles a chuckle. "Wow, um, thank you..?" She responds, standing up on her two feet. It was getting a little cramped up squatting down for the entire exchange. "What's in the bag?"

"Oh, it's just some vegan bread and hand-made chocolates."

"No poison or anything?" The girl only shrugs when Heejin's eyes bulge out at the question. "It's better to be safe than sorry, you know?"

Heejin furiously shakes her head. "God, no! I'm not like that.." She trails off.

"Hyunjin," She reveals. "I'm Kim Hyunjin."

"Jeon Heejin.."

"Well, Jeon Heejin," Hyunjin purses her lips. "I'm thankful for the Valentines gift! But I've got cats to take care of right now, so it's best if you continue walking to BBC already."

She's about to question how Hyunjin knows where she goes to, but it'd be pretty stupid since they're both wearing the same uniform.

Heejin declines, "It's fine." She checks her phone, looking at the time. "It's still pretty early. I can wait for you so we can walk to school together." She stammers," I-I mean, if that's o-okay with you?"

Hyunjin thinks for a moment. "Sure. Why not?"

She beams at the positive response. Heejin joins Hyunjin in crouching down to shower the stray cats with as much affection as they could offer.

"What're their names?"

 

 

 

A/N: i'll prolly write a much more detailed chapter of this, but for now, enjoy the short valentines update :]