My Sunday

Iced Tea & Iced Coffee

—With the recent renting of where they're going to set up shop, Heejin and Hyunjin decide to decorate its walls first.

 

Lifting the metal cover to reveal the front of the place, they notice the windows have two lines of tape over it in a shape of an 'X'. She turns to look at her girl. "Should we check if there's rats in there already?" Hyunjin spins the keys with her forefinger as her and Heejin stand before their soon-to-be café's locked doors.

Heejin looks absolutely mortified of the thought of their café being infested by rats. She shivers and lightly smacks her wife's shoulder. "Don't say that. You know how I visualize things."

Hyunjin giggles at her girl's wary stance. She stops spinning the keys. "Okay. Sorry. I just wanted to have my own Remy in our place." Her body exaggeratedly slumps as she tries to pout.

Heejin pays no mind to it, but she will mind the way too casual implication of a rat in her wife's workplace. "Are you implying Vivi's restaurant has rats?"

Hyunjin straightens up at that. No one isn't allowed to say anything remotely bad about Vivi.

("I respect that woman!" Hyunjin states with a hand slap on the counter. She stares off to the distance before going back into work mode. "Can someone get me a—")

"No, no!" She furiously shakes her head along with her hands waving about. Hyunjin cups her chin and makes a thoughtful expression. "Although there is this girl—"

"Yeojin."

"Yeo—Hey! How'd you know that?" Hyunjin pretends to be shocked.

"You call her 'rat' when Yeojin attempts to bite back to your teasing whenever we're with her and Hyeju." Heejin quirks an eyebrow.

Hyunjin goes a bit sheepish. She holds her hands up in the air as if she were caught by the police. (Not like that's happened before.. Heejin doesn't need to know that.) "Ya caught me. You just don't know how she acts in the kitchen, Heej. You'd call her rat too!"

(Yeojin regularly gets caught having her own buffet in the kitchen. Going as far as making her own dishes when there's a ton of orders above her head.)

("Yo! What are you doing?" Yeojin stops Haseul from taking her masterpiece of a meal.)

(Haseul's features contort into confusion. "Going out to serve our customers? Isn't this for table 7?")

("Tsk. No, Haseul, that's for me." Yeojin clicks her tongue.)

(Hyunjin's always wondered how the hell she hasn't been fired yet. She later learns that Yeojin is like a daughter to Vivi. It's not really an acceptable explanation for the loss of ingredients so whenever Vivi comes by the kitchen, Yeojin makes up an excuse that rats came in.)

"I literally work at the same place. I could hook you up with something better but okay. Go with the person who isn't your wife, I guess.." Completely ignoring her wife's response that follows, Hyunjin unlocks the doors and comes in, holding it open for Heejin to step in too. "Come in, M'lady."

Heejin rolls her eyes at the name. "Gross." She grumbles as she steps inside.

"Damn. Okay. What do you want then?" Hyunjin closes the door. "My lovely prince, Heedini."

"Glad you know you're a mere peasant to me." Heejin smirks.

Hyunjin scoffs. "What the?" She stomps on the floor, similar to the way Heekki does it. Their bunny's off with Jiwoo today. They hope everything's going well in their apartment. "I'm so much more than that!"

(Jiwoo's currently rambling all about Jungeun to Heekki and even pauses as if she'd get a response. She doesn't, but she pretends she does and continues talking.)

Heejin waves her off with a lousy, "Whatever." And suddenly bursts with energy as she twirls around, excitedly hopping around the very empty building. "But, Hyun, can you believe it? We own a café! Like a real, real café!" She comes back to the center, going into a little spin as she hops there.

Hyunjin watches her wife spin with a huge grin on her face as she spreads her arms wide. "You're more excited than me." She laughs as she walks over to Heejin, giving her a good headpat. "Calm down. I would barely call this a café yet. Don't get ahead of yourself."

"Leave me be." Heejin huffs. She scans the room and gestures with her hands. "Once we've got this whole place decorated and bustling with people, I'll go up to the rooftop and scream, 'I own a café with my wife Jeon-Kim Hyunjin!' just because I can."

Hyunjin doesn't bite back the smile that Heejin brings out of her with the obvious teasing. She knows that, even with the mischievous tone, Heejin will most likely do such a thing.

Hyunjin doesn't even know how her wife manages to remember conversations from decades ago. It won't come as a surprise when they get to that point on the café's rooftop area. "Ah~ Really, Jeon-Kim Heejin-ssi?"

"Yes, really!" Heejin earnestly nods. "See, I was kidding before but now that you've said that, I'll really yell on the rooftop someday. I don't care if our customers thinks I'm weird. I just wanna do it because you challenged me!"

"Now that you mention customers.. Don't do it. I'm not about to lose potential tips because you wanted to flex." Hyunjin shakes her head with her arms crossed into an 'X'. "No, ma'am."

Heejin deflates a bit. She grumbles something incoherent to Hyunjin's ears.

Hyunjin doesn't mind it. Instead, she goes over to the counter and hops on to sit, lightly kicking her feet as she gathers her thoughts. "I swear you're so.."

"So..?" Heejin waddles her way to her wife, opting to hug her waist as she's made space for herself in between the woman's legs.

"So.. you." Hyunjin tenderly smiles at her wife expectantly looking up to her. Heejin still had that 'overly-excited child' grin plastered on her face. She wordlessly tucks away her stray hairs and whispers, "You looked like this when I finally asked you to move in with me. You even went waaay overboard."

Heejin purses her lips, narrowing her eyes at Hyunjin's expression. It's the expression she makes whenever she's in the mood for teasing her. "I didn't go overboard. I was.. normal."

"Normal?" Hyunjin chuckles. "For someone who remembers the smallest of things, you sure do mess up on important details."

"No. What I remember is right!"

(Hyunjin's sprawled out on the couch, gnawing at her bottom lip as she genuinely tries winning her little Rummikub game. Once she realizes she's got no tiles to place, she shuts down her phone and sighs.)

(Heejin comes crashing down on her, making her grunt at the sudden weight placed on her body. Her arms automatically wrap around her girlfriend once she recovered from literally getting the air knocked out of her.)

("What's up with you?" Hyunjin planting a kiss to her girl's forehead, lingering a little longer than usual before pulling away.)

(Heejin hums at the affection. Placing her own kiss on Hyunjin's neck as she nuzzles her face there. "I missed you. I was just thinking.")

("Sorry, Heej. I didn't realize how long I've been playing Rummikub.. What were you thinking about?")

(Heejin remains mum for a moment, debating with herself if she should bring up the topic of wanting to move in with Hyunjin. She's not stupid. Heejin's seen the way she tenses up at the mere implication of it. It always brought a small pang of heartache to her chest.)

("How your house is so dull." Heejin emotionlessly responds. "You need to spice it up sometime, Hyun.")

(To her surprise, Hyunjin isn't freezing up. Not even a hint of hesitance when she agrees. After scanning what she can, Hyunjin hums. "You know, I'm not really creative in that department.")

(And it surprises her more when Hyunjin sneaks in a, "Maybe, if you moved in..")

(Heejin snaps her head up, bumping Hyunjin's chin in the process, earning a pained groan out of the girl. She gasps and spoils her girlfriend with a million kisses on her face. "I'm so sorry." She mumbles in between the pecks.)

("Someone's a little excited about moving in." Hyunjin jokes, removing her hand off her chin as the slight sting fizzled off. "I mean, I assume you'd say yes to my offer?")

("Of course, I'm saying yes!" Heejin pulls her in for a searing kiss on the lips out of pure excitement. They pull away with ragged breath. Heejin's eyes twinkle, the glint in her eyes make Hyunjin suspect she's thought of something.)

(And she's not wrong. Her girlfriend suddenly hops off her body, hurriedly slipping her bunny slippers on and clumsily making her way toward the door. "I'll be right back!")

("Wait, what?" Hyunjin glances at the clock before scurrying over to Heejin. "It's one in the morning. You're not going out in your pajamas—And she's gone." She stands before the now closed shut door, not even bothering to chase after her giddy girlfriend to wherever she's off to at this hour.)

(She receives a message from "my girl, heejinnie ♡" mere seconds later, reading, "i will be safe !! dont worry abt me ₍ᐢ·͈༝·͈ᐢ₎ฅ♡".)

(Hyunjin lightheartedly scoffs at the text. She's not upset for her to leave her girl on read so she replies with a quick, "oki ♡ฅ₍˄·͈༝·͈˄₎".)

(A little over an hour or so, Hyunjin's knocked out on the couch, drooling over the furniture's armrest, when an onslaught of rapid knocking-practically banging-on her door is made.)

(Hyunjin jolts up awake. She winces at the throbbing headache and strain on her neck, but makes her way to the door, albeit a little wobbly with her footing. She croaks out an throaty, "Coming!".)

(Hyunjin doesn't bother wiping the annoyance evident in her expression. She slowly swings the door open half-way, only for it to get slammed open by an aggressive kick with a bunny slipper, revealing her girlfriend of three years beaming at her like a child during christmas. Her features are bunched up, making her appear rounder than usual with her chubby cheeks squished up with how much she's smiling.)

("Heejinnie has come to invade Hyunnie's home to make it theirs!" She exclaims proudly before her girlfriend with no hint of embarrassment in her system at her obvious baby-talk. Hyunjin airily chuckles at Heejin somehow managing to balance her handful of carry-on bags with one hand.)

("Oh, and I might've made a tiny, tiny, tiny impulsive purchase on the way here.." And there, Heejin carefully holds up a cage where a white bunny temporarily resided in. "Her name is Heekki!")

(The thing is, she should be surprised. She should be questioning why her girl rushed to her own home to pack her lifetime in a handful of luggage. She should be questioning why her girlfriend bought a pet bunny at three in the morning. But Hyunjin doesn't, and doesn't plan to either. She only releases a sigh. A sigh that she can only describe as the one she does every time Heejin is being.. Heejin.)

(Wordlessly grabbing a couple of luggage nearest to her, Hyunjin gestures for Heejin to come in. She lets herself break into a grin. "Welcome back home, Heejinnie and Heekki.")

"Can't you be more careful with opening the door? It's made of glass. What if you break it?" Hyunjin scolds her with a roll of her eyes, but even then Heejin's child-like grin doesn't falter.

"What's important is; it didn't shatter into a million pieces." Her wife's nice enough to hold the door for Heejin to waddle inside with her hands full. "And the fact, I am not injured."

"Yet."

Heejin only huffs in response, silently placing the paint pails near the walls and narrows her eyes at the white walls before her, presumably coming up with designs and how she should place them neatly.

Hyunjin watches from the sidelines, a small smile curving itself on her lips. She fondly remembers the exact same sight from when Heejin freshly moved in and was already changing the whole apartment for the better.

Heejin once said, "These bothersome white walls could use some color!" And did exactly that. Hyunjin comes to find their apartment floors to be temporarily replaced with this plastic cover and the walls to have painter's tape stuck and cut into all sorts of designs.

Heejin hasn't changed that much since they met. She's still the dorkiest person ever, but she's her dork. She still wears the same pair of glasses from when they were still in high school. (There have been a couple of times where she almost broke it. That's why there's a few scratches here and there.) She still moves her bottom lip around as a show for her concentration. She still spins the brush between her fingers with a little tapping of her feet like Thumper. And most importantly, her eyes still sparkle at everything as if she's experiencing it for the very first time.

("Hyun-ah," Heejin giggles, knowing how much her appearance is soiled by the amount of paint that's gotten stuck onto her clothes or skin. "Since we'll be living together, I wanted to make new memories of us in here, so get into some old clothes and start painting with me!")

When her wife looks back at her, eyes glistening under the light, handing her a paint brush with a small shake of her hand. Hyunjin thinks, she wouldn't mind doing everything over and over again if she's with Heejin.