a is for avoidance

fortune favours the bold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Shuhua returns to the dorm it’s an overcast Tuesday with the threat of a cruel storm brewing overhead. 

Soyeon texts her on Tuesday after practice, on Wednesday before the sun has even risen then again after lunch, on Thursday halfway through practice-

“Are you going to get that?” 

Sprawled out on the practice room floor, Soojin shakes her head, “No.” 

Eyebrow raised, Lisa walks over. With the toe of her sneaker, she prods Soojin’s starfish form, “You and the Jelly fight?” It’s an honest question. One twinged with a mild concern. 

“We’re not fighting.” It sounds miserable.

“Right,” Lisa skeptically agrees. Hands on hips, the taller woman clucks her tongue between her teeth, “And that’s why you sound like someone just ran over your kitten. No. Wait-” Scrunching her nose, Lisa amends, “You’d be out for blood if that was the case. You’re like… like when the rich friends kidnapped y Eyes!” She snaps her fingers with excitement. 

“Ugh, just drop it Lisa!” Maybe someone did run over Soojin’s kitten. The one she doesn’t have. “What time is it?” 

“Fine.” Lisa squints at the clock on the far wall, “... quarter to nine, why?”

“.” Rolling over, Soojin scrambles for her bag. Removing her shoes with haste, Soojin shoves them into the bag along with her partially closed water bottle and towel, “I gotta go. See you tomorrow.” The words are rushed and distracted.

The distance from the studio to her apartment isn’t far, but Soojin isn’t a runner. “God- I’m never-” Hands on knees, she in a deep breath followed by another, then another. Honestly, it’s what she gets for trying to run, “Gah, terri-” She lets out a short series of hacking coughs. Nothing terrible, but it’s the auditory evidence of her lack of runners' stamina. 

“Oh, so you are alive.”

“Jesus Murphy!” Soojin yelps as she jumps, slamming back into the wall with a hollow thud. Gripping her chest that already aches, she whimpers, “Ow, ow, ow.”

“Serves you right,” Soyeon says, cross legged in front of Soojin’s apartment door. As she stands, Soyeon motions a purple painted thumb over her shoulder, “Hurry up, I’m hungry.” 

“Hungry?” The lock doesn’t turn on the first try. Jamming the key in again, Soojin wiggles it a little to the right and a little to the left, “Why?” The key twists and the lock turns.

“I didn’t know when you’d be back.” Welcoming herself in and opening the fridge, Soyeon shrugs, “So I came after class.” Drinking the orange juice from the jug, she asks, “So, why are you avoiding Shuhua?” It’s a shot right for the jugular and Soyeon doesn’t miss.

“I- I’m not.” Soojin leaves her bag at the door. The corner of the bag is dripping with what little water had been left in her bottle. “I mean, what makes you think I am?” If it weren’t for the change in octave and defensive stance, the words could pass for indifference.

“You want my list?” Her left brow raised, Soyeon shuts the fridge door with a Tupperware container of leftovers in hand. “Or do you want to save yourself the second hand embarrassment and just tell me?” 

“Soyeon, I’ve been busy.” Soojin whines as she walks further into the apartment. With each step her feet drag across the hardwood floor, “That big charity event I told you about is coming up next Friday and-”

“I can start alphabetically. A is for absurd - no explanation needed. B is for bull, because you’re always busy. C is for childish-”

“Okay, okay, I get it!” The words rush out in a frenzy. Collapsing face first into the couch, Soojin groans, “I’m avoiding Shuhua.”

Soyeon rolls her eyes at the obvious admission and hungrily shovels back a mouthful of pasta. 

Twisting onto her back, Soojin starts, “Miyeon offered me five million dollars if I conveniently ‘ forget’ about Shuhua.” 

The pasta doesn’t come out of Soyeon's nose, but it’s close. “I’m sorry-” She sputters and coughs, “What did you just say?”

With her eyes on the ceiling, unfocused and glazed, Soojin repeats, “She offered me five million dollars.” Against the walls of her chest, her heart beats a slow, steady cadence. It's a far cry from the frenzied state that's gripped it since her elevator conversation with Miyeon. 

“And what,” Stabbing the fork in Soojin’s direction, Soyeon questions, “You’re just accepting it? Just like that? What the , Soo!”

“Huh?” Craning her neck, Soojin stares at Soyeon upside down from the couch, “Accept- what, why would I accept it?” Her brows furrow.

“Context clues? Vague narrative? How about the fact that you’re avoiding Shuhua?” The pasta is still lodged halfway up her nose, “Gah, it burns. Just-” Teary eyed, Soyeon finds the tissue before the inevitable sneeze arrives, “God, you can’t just say like that and not follow up with something. Do you want me to have a heart attack?”

“I thought you were tougher than that.” The tone is light - teasing. The gaiety before the anvil. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter