the forest for the trees

fortune favours the bold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa leans over the arm of her chair, craning her neck to see around Soojin. “Where’s y Eyes?”

“Seriously?" Soojin huffs. With a yank, she pulls the empty chair away from the table before sinking into it with a frown. “Why are you so obsessed with her?”

“Careful, Lisa,” teases Soyeon in between obnoxious slurps of her banana milkshake, “You’ve activated our little girl’s jealousy card.”

“I’m not—”

“I mean, I’d be jealous too,” Lisa cuts in, nodding in agreement to Soyeon. With a devilish smile, she wiggles her brows, “That bod? And the smooth charm?” She offers Soyeon a chef’s kiss, “M’waa!”

Cheeks rosy red, Soojin sinks further into her chair. Parallel to the table, she grumbles, “I hate you. I hate you both so much.” The threats fall flat and only fuels the cheeky jabs.

“But seriously,” Lisa asks after the waiter takes their order, “You didn’t invite her?”

Eyes focused on something high above Soyeon’s head, Soojin sighs. “She’s been really tired the last few weeks. I didn’t want to bug her.” The way she speaks is soft and nearly swallowed by the conversation beside them.

“She would have made time if you asked, Cherry Cheeks.” The way Soyeon says it is gentle and with the soft nudge of her toe. “Remember what she did for ten minutes?”

“That’s why I didn’t ask,” Soojin admits as she toys with the wrapper of her straw. The pigeons the next roof over coo. “She isn’t invincible.” 

the remnants of her shake dry, Soyeon agrees. “Not invincible. But hella stubborn. , your kids are going to be bullheaded, aren’t they?”

Soojin stops at the library on her way back to her apartment. As the heavy glass door closes behind her, she nods to the receptionist. The air inside is cool, relative to the thick summer smog, and filled with laughter that emanates from the children’s section.

Wandering through the shelves, Soojin stops at the row of tables tucked in the far corner. It’s away from the bulk of the traffic and opposite the children's section, but with the marblelike flooring and towering stone ceilings even the tiniest squeak sounds like a fog horn.

Laughter bounces off the ceiling.

Eyes closed, she smiles. 

By the time Soojin leaves the library, it’s late. The heat of the summer hasn’t faded, locked in by the pollution and towering urban jungle. 

Three blocks from her apartment, she stops at the park. The trees are tall and dance in the breeze. 

Hands deep in her pockets, Soojin glances around. The night is simple. There are couples out walking and parents playing with their children near the fountain. There is also a man who, despite his casual demeanour and tourist vibe, is anything but.  

“Are you stalking me now?” Soojin asks with thinly veiled annoyance. 

Hands behind his back, Ren shrugs. “I am one to enjoy the simple pleasures of life, Just Soojin.” He points to a flock of pigeons a half dozen steps from the fountain, “Even those some call nuisances.” Despite the light airy nature of his words, it is clear his intention is not to watch the pigeons or mill around the park after nine. 

“I’m not a child,” the reply is petulant as Soojin cards her fingers through her hair. “She can’t treat me like a child. I’m—”

“No one sees you as a child.”

“Yeah, well it sure doesn’t feel that way.” Hands burrowed in her pockets, Soojin doesn’t hold back, frustrations and insecurities alike bubbling to the surface, “Is this how she always knew? When I was out late or busy? She sent you to keep an eye on me?”

A child runs up to the fountain. His chubby hands smack against the stone as he looks back to his parents with a four toothed smile, “Waawaa! Waawaa!” His mother, pushing a stroller, coos while his father hoists the child up to the water's edge for a closer look. 

“Careful, honey, don’t let him get too close

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter