old patterns with new meaning

fortune favours the bold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sound of the morning alarm is jarring. 

“Uunnhh, turn it off.” Soyeon gripes, tossing a pillow across the room. It bounces off the foot of the other bed and falls to the ground with a plunk. 

Beneath the covers, cocooned in Shuhua’s arms, Soojin groans in return. “You do it.” Despite her words her hand slips out, slapping at the side table blindly. Her body is halfway out of bed, fingers chasing the manual alarm as it bounces atop the table surface. When it falls to the ground, pushed a tad too far by the tips of her fingers, it hits with a crack that’s followed by glorious silence. 

“Babeee,” Shuhua whimpers, hands outstretched and body lost in the sheets. “Come back.” Her voice is thick like molasses.

From the other side of the room, ever the vampire, Soyeon grumbles, “Deal with your honey!”

The clock, glass face splintered, reads half past five. 

“Shuhua?” The effect of gravity is slow but sure. Soojin squirms, body wriggling as she slowly slides off the bed. “I’m falling—” Arms tug her back, safe and secure. “That was your alarm?” Soojin rubs the heel of her palm into the socket of her eye, “Do you have to—” she squirms away from the nose nuzzling into her collar, “—go?”

There’s a lethargy in the words Shuhua mumbles. None of it’s sensible; thick and garbled. Like slumber stole her tongue and the early hours of the day wrapped her brain in fog. 

“If we stay like this,” Soojin yawns, eyes closing involuntarily as she mellows in the warmth, “Will you be in trouble?” 

“Probably,” Shuhua manages drowsily. Tightening her hold, the strength in her voice ebbs, the transference of energy too great to maintain both, “Emma’ll… understand.”

It’s half past ten when Soojin opens her eyes again. The bed on the other side of the room is nothing more than a heap of bedding and the indent of where Soyeon slept. 

The heat from the body pressed against her skin is stifling yet perfect. In the small of her back fingers rest, skin on skin, as the edges of her shirt have climbed in her sleep. 

“Shuhua?” Soojin says with gravel in . 

In the silence there’s the ticking of the broken clock and the whirl of Soyeon’s computer fan. 

“I know you’re awake.” The accusation is half hearted and laced with the fatigue of yesterday’s performance.

Aside from the twitch of her fingers, Shuhua remains still. 

“Shuhua? 3… 2…” Soojin grins deviously as her fingers crawl closer to Shuhua’s side.

“Babe!” Shuhua shoots out of bed and tumbles, blankets and all, over the edge. The thump is loud and shakes the frame of the flimsy dorm furniture. 

On the bed, Soojin giggles. Her eyes are innocent when she peers over the edge of the bed. “Yes?”

Any fight Shuhua holds crumbles. Limbs tangled in the sheets, legs half caught on the edge of the bed, she chews on her bottom lip, “You’re breathtaking.”

The grime of the previous night still thick on her skin, Soojin sinks back into the mattress. “Calm down there, Casanova. I’m grubby and—”

“No,” Shuhua clamours to her knees, tripping over the shackles of her bedding twice. When free, the way she reaches out is reverent. “You’re breathtaking.”

Soojin shivers as the words kiss her skin. With an unsteady laugh, she manages, “We should get ready. I have practice at noon.”

There’s no objection from Shuhua as she manages to shake off the fabric prison and rise to her feet. Hands extended, she helps Soojin out of bed. “I’ll leave some clothes outside the bathroom for you.”

Shuhua is dressed in a sleeveless dotted dress when Soojin leaves the bathroom. 

“Will Emma be mad?” Soojin curls a loose lock of Shuhua’s hair around her finger.

“She’ll understand.” Sneaking a kiss to the inside of Soojin’s wrist, Shuhua winks, “And if she doesn’t, I’ll explain how you jumped me in my sleep.”

Releasing the lock of hair, Soojin steps back with flaming cheeks, “I-I didn’t jump you!”

“Of course not,” teases Shuhua as she rises to her feet. “Let’s get you to practice.” 

Downstairs, Ren is waiting in the car with breakfast. 

“Are you busy tonight?” Soojin asks as she toys with a grape. 

Munching on her own grapes, Shuhua swallows. “What are you thinking?”

The studio in sight, Soojin presses the green globe between her index finger and the leather of the middle seat divider holding the food. “My place? For a movie? Practice will be done by five. We can grab supper if you want, or order in.” The words rush out in a flurry and Soojin in a small breath at the end, shoulders tense and prepared for rejection.

Shuhua exits the vehicle and, moments later, opens the door for Soojin. Palm extended, she guides Soojin down to the sidewalk. “I’ll have Emma ensure my evening is clear and I’ll be waiting for you here. Have a great practice, babe.”

During the first break, Soojin huddles in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter