epilogue

fortune favours the bold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Where is she?!” Yuqi storms out of the elevator like a woman on a mission. The soles of her shoes slap against the marble floor and the shrill of her demand ricochets off the walls like a squash game gone wrong. 

Hand on hip, Miyeon smiles. “Song Yuqi,” her words are chilling and the curl of her lips sinister, “Are you wearing your muddy boots in the house?” 

Like a deer caught in the headlights, Yuqi seizes. “Uhhh…” Stiff and robotic, she descends to the ground. In the middle of the living room, inches from the snow white carpet, she unlaces her high top boots. Chunks of mud litter the floor, both beneath the shoes and on her blazon trail from the elevator doors. “No?” 

Stragglers to the scene, Shuhua and Nicha stifle cackles at the spectacle unfolding before them. 

“Yah!” Socked feet flutter kicking in the air, Yuqi whines, “This is serious!” In her hand, bits of dirt dislodge from the soles of her shoes and fall to the floor. 

Nicha swoops in before Miyeon can utter a word. “Come on, Little Brother, let’s get you cleaned up.” She sets the shoes down on the floor and hoists the frowning woman to her feet. From Yuqi’s coat a clump of mud falls onto the edge of the area rug. 

Forefingers pinching her brow Miyeon exhales —short and sharp. 

Nicha’s eyes widen to the size of saucers. “Hurry.” 

Broom and dustpan in hand, Shuhua shakes her head as she attempts to sweep up the mini disaster. The mud is moist enough to stick and, with the bristles of the broom, turns into earth toned on the white marble. “Oops.”

Petulant, Yuqi scrubs the mud from the rug. The floor behind her is pristine and polished. “We should just cut it out.” 

Cross legged across from Yuqi on the carpet, Shuhua snickers. “I dare you.” 

Like a sword, Yuqi brandishes the toothbrush. “Yah! Do you want me to die?” Exhaling a huff, she returns to scrubbing the light brown threads. “It’s just a little mud,” she grumbles, “Gah! Why can’t I just buy you a new rug!?” 

Clacking her tongue against the roof of , Miyeon narrows her eyes. “Though you live near a forest, do not waste firewood, Song Yuqi.” 

Yuqi reluctantly hums her agreement. With the sleeves of her baggy designer sweater bunched up to her elbows she scrubs with increased vigour. It takes another ten minutes, but eventually the carpet is clean enough to pass Miyeon’s inspection. Sheepish, Yuqi offers the toothbrush back. “Sor—” she starts only to be engulfed in a warm embrace. 

“Welcome home,” Miyeon whispers. 

Misty eyed, Yuqi sniffles into the fabric of Miyeon’s shirt and wordlessly nods. “I—” she eventually begins as she rubs her eyes briskly and sniffs, “—The air here. Where's… ugh… your wife.” Her finger jabs in Shuhua’s direction.

Shuhua blinks and points to herself, “Mine?” 

“Yeah, where—” 

The doors of the elevator slide open and Soojin steps off the lift. “Sorry I’m late, practice…” Shoes in hand, prepared to tuck them on the rack, she stops dead in her tracks. “Yuqi? When did you—”

Dashing across the room, Yuqi comes to a sliding halt inches from Soojin. “Ha ha!” Red nosed, she fumbles to procure a piece of white fabric from her pocket. With a final heave it falls freely. Juggling to catch the bunched fabric for several moments, Yuqi manages to bat the crumpled ball towards Soojin’s chest. 

Miyeon sighs, “We will advise Eveline you will be joining us for dinner.” By the crook of her arm Miyeon pulls Nicha towards the kitchen. "Shuhua," she tosses over her shoulder, "Please have them at the table in five minutes." 

“Seo Soojin, I challenge you to—”

“Uhh…”

Shuhua rolls onto her belly and totters to her feet, "English, Wooks."

The heat in Yuqi deflates as realisation dawns at her oversight. Off-handedly, she waves off Shuhua’s wiseass glee. "As I was saying," she coughs into her fist and narrows her eyes at Soojin, "As Shuhua’s best and only friend—" 

"Hey!" 

"—I must see that you are fit—" 

"She's fit!" 

Yuqi ignores the peanut gallery protests, "—You may have won over Nicha and Miyeon, but no one can beat Little Brother!" The closed fist she beats against her chest is akin to the haka ritual of the All Blacks, ready and primed to crush the opposing team. 

"Song Yuqi, if you don't get to the dinner table in 30 seconds, Miyeon will—" 

Like she suggested the idea, Yuqi nods fervently. "After dinner, of course."

After dinner turns into the following week. 

“Alright,” Yuqi says with gusto as she slaps the body of her weapon. “Basic rules apply—”

On the far edge of the circle, Soyeon grounds out, “I’ll basic rules your as—”

“Will we be done by four?” Though phrased as a question, the finality of Nicha's words leave no room for negotiation. "It's date night." The way she turns to Miyeon and smiles is unspeakably gentle for her battle ready appearance. 

"What are your thoughts on the burgundy v-cut from the Dahlia line?" Miyeon asks. The honey tones in her eyes sparkle as her voice falls an octave. "How the designer knew it would accentuate my—”

"Don't worry,” Yuqi cuts in unwittingly, “I'll crush all you fools long before then." 

Behind the palm of her hand, Shuhua whispers, "I think she means I'll crush her . Don't worry babe," she winks and leans in to deposit a lingering kiss behind Soojin’s earlobe, "Stick with me. I'll protect you." The light of the overhead

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter