Seulgi's 1st Date

Love For Sale

Sehun choked on the smoke he had been inhaling after hearing those words slipped from Jongin’s mouth. He coughed a couple of times before asking him,

“What?!”.

“I’m serious. Let’s do this partner for rent thing”, Jongin said, slipping the cigarette in between his lips again. Seulgi, who sat next to Jongin, chuckled after seeing Sehun’s surprised face.

Jongin texted him earlier this morning when he had just finished eating his breakfast, asking Sehun to go to the rooftop of building F on the Faculty of Psychology. Sehun had two afternoon classes, but he hurried to shower, getting ready, and drove to their campus. His curiosity beat his laziness down. He found it suspicious that Seulgi didn’t say anything to him beforehand, yet there she was, sitting next to Jongin on the concrete floor calmly. The last time Sehun reckoned, Seulgi and Jongin couldn’t sit in one place without igniting an argument the minute they started talking. 

Sehun stared at Jongin like this guy just told him that the earth is flat. His sayings were unbelievable. 

“I thought you were the one who strongly opposed her idea yesterday”.

“People can change overnight”, Jongin took another puff after that. 

Sehun rested his right hand on his knee, which the cigarette he held in between his index and middle finger kept fuming into smoke and ashes. “I bet on my last dime that something must have happened last night for you to think that way. What is that?”.

“Jongin would say the reason only when we both are here”, Seulgi said. “Now tell us”.

Jongin knew the idea of being vulnerable to two persons who just knew him for less than one month was bizarre to him. But, it. If he was going to regret opening up too much to both of them, then be it. What are they gonna do about it, anyway? The worst possibility wouldn't be as bad as what happened in his last, and also first, relationship. 

Jongin lifted the right side of the black high-neck shirt he wore under his black denim jacket right to below his chest muscle. “You see that KJ?”.

Sehun couldn’t hold the urge to scan Jongin’s half-bare torso. His tanned skin and toned abs caught his attention first, and two small letters in black ink on his lower right rib second. What a surprise to Sehun that beneath all the dark outfits he pulled every day, Jongin got a well-maintained body. He almost swallowed hard, but fearing that Jongin could see what he had done, Sehun held his breath instead.

“You have a tattoo?!’, on the other hand, Seulgi openly showed her surprise. Jongin pulled his clothes down when both of them had seen the inscribed letters on his skin. 

“Yeah. I got it when I was 18. With my ex. Among all the coincidences, what happened to us was we had same initials”. He chuckled, in satirical and belittling ways. “You know what the bible said about how a woman was made out of a man’s rib, right? That’s what I thought. I’m not religious at all, I just liked the idea. And she got it on her upper left chest. Right on where her heartbeats”.

Seulgi shuddered. “I can physically feel the pain from your corniness right now, ugh”.

Jongin looked at her just to roll his eyes. 

“Then...? What happened?”, Sehun asked.

“She got it removed. I just saw it yesterday. It’s a video and most likely not edited”.

Seulgi realized that the timeline matched. Jongin texted her around 12 last night, and it must be after he saw what he didn’t want to see.

They didn’t bother to ask where Jongin got a video of his ex. It was not an important matter to address at that time.

“And, this is how you move on?”, Seulgi threw him another question.

“Doesn’t it feel nice to have people wanting the best piece of you?”. Jongin didn’t sound so sure with his statement, but he continued, nonetheless. “You don’t have to tell them your childhood trauma, your past relationships. Your ugly side that makes people run away”. He just made it up, but after everything was spitted, he realized that it didn’t really sound like a flawed argument.

“That is what I wanted to hear from you since last night. You really need something forceful to pull your trigger, huh?”.

“This conversation makes me so ing uncomfortable”, Jongin quickly took a puff and blew the smoke. “It’s like getting stripped down . Just...just stop it here”.

The three of them went silent. Sehun thought that Jongin was snobbish because he had every reason to be so, and even though he understood, there were times when Sehun didn’t like it. But seeing how Jongin acted in front of both of them right now—eyes wandering everywhere, hands grabbing on his jeans, his shoulders moved almost unseen but faster—made Sehun think that he is an actual human with real emotions too. 

“Okay. Now you both are on the same boat, thank goodness. I was about to look for car insurance if you guys keep slamming my car door”, Sehun said. “I don’t want to be treated as that special snowflake as annoying as it sounds but... I’ll be happy if I can be the bridge between people and you, though”. 

Seulgi quickly reached for Sehun’s arm and gave it a good squeeze. “You sure?”.

“You guys will do the hard chores too. Adapting to your client’s needs and wants, their traits...it won’t be easy. So, we’re even. Are we really sure we’re going to do this?”.

It wasn’t planned at all, but at that time, Jongin and Seulgi’s minds were connected by a thin thread that rotate both of their heads into facing each other. As their eyes met, the assuredness was looking more apparent than ever before.

“Yes. I’m sure”, Seulgi answered. Jongin followed by nodding his head.

Sehun smiled. This would be the turning point of their lives.

~***~

Terms and Condition

We would kindly advise you to read over the terms and regulations, as well as to read our talent’s profile before renting.

  1. Maximal working hours: 22.00 (Everyday). Adjusting your schedule with our talents’ real-life schedule and location is mandatory. Clients should make an upfront payment first before reserving the slot. The manager will handle all transactions, and contacting the talent directly is prohibited.
  2. Refund or reschedule are not eligible for clients who disappear without prior notice. 
  3. Overdue time is only available only on weekends. However, it is advised to ask the manager first if the talents are available for the add-ons. 
  4. Please respect our talents’ boundaries by refraining from probing deeply for anything related to their real life. This also applies to social media, where you should ask our talent’s consent before posting anything about them.
  5. Dates are only allowed without ual contact and by not taking them to private places. Talent may report to us if you broke this rule and said customer could be blacklisted if it happens over three times (3x).
  6. Prospective clients are expected to fill out the form as thoroughly as possible to prevent dissatisfaction, in case if the talent cannot accommodate the client’s wishes.
  7. Re-rent is available with no minimum period of the day, but you must check it with the agency beforehand to see for the talent’s availability.
  8. If you have any complaints about our talents, you may file them directly to the agency’s direct message.
  9. After the renting period is over, the client must leave a testimonial.
  10. Being in love with talent is not the agency’s or the talent’s liability.

~***~

Who would have thought that there were so many young people in Seoul who were desperate to receive affection and attention?

Sehun was responsible for handling their agency’s Instagram account where he made most of the promotion. He shared it with everyone he knew, saying that it was "his friend’s business" to avoid getting many questions. He brought this renting service into public yesterday afternoon with very, very low expectations. The three of them even had agreed to give fifty percent discount for the grand opening this week. Heck, they didn’t even attach their photos and full name for privacy matters. But later, he woke up with lots of DMs asking him about the talents’ further info, and even some were eager to rent them as soon as possible. 

Oh Sehun

Money is coming your way really soon.

He then attached the screenshots to their agency’s Instagram DM to their group chat.

Jongin

They are asking about my clothing size? What for?

Slug

HAHAHA oh myyy we’re so high in demand!!! Pls pls pls let us pick our clients!

Our first date should be the most meaningful!!!

Jongin

I dont really care as long as they are not a creep

Sehun smiled as he read chats from Jongin and Seulgi. He let them sorted through the list of people who have asked for their availability and chose two persons as a starter this week. 

Stood up from his chair, Sehun walked to the huge windows next to where he placed his bed. He slid the dark-grey curtain to the side. This city just woke up. He was fortunate that this side of his apartment was showered by the ray from sunrise because it faced the east. Opening the window and let the air changed through the circulation, he took a deep breath. 

Today, and the next day, and the next day after, will be a good day.

~***~

Seulgi’s first client happened to be Kim Junmyeon.

She exploited her ability to lurk around. Began with a single Instagram username, she ended up with his Twitter and LinkedIn. He was a decent 26-year-old man, thankfully. The typical top university graduates who then entered another big corporation. Probably sleeping on a king-size bed inside his 100 square meters big windows apartment. He made a very distinct boundary between his work and personal life, and the most straightforward clue Seulgi found was by observing how he dressed. He was very formal with his attire for his professional life—perfectly ironed shirt, tux, and trousers, with slick hair—but he wasn’t afraid to mix vibrant colors and patterns in his leisure time. Honorable mention to the difference between his super political and wild Twitter account versus his constant working-vacation cycle contents from his Instagram. 

One thing that left Seulgi wondering was, why did such a perfect man like him need to rent a college student for a date? 

She would like to figure that out later.

Junmyeon’s request was simple. Just a casual dinner after his work hour. Seulgi spent an hour in the afternoon right after her class ended rummaging through her wardrobe. She took a picture every time she formed an outfit, and sent it to the group chat.

Jongin @___@

You look like my grandma in this piece

Seulgi Kang

Damn your grandma must be a gorgeous baddie 😍

Jongin @___@

?

Seulgi Kang

Shut up you’re not helping me Jongin!!!

Jongin @___@

Its your fault that you cant handle the truth well 

Sehun <3

You look pretty in all!

But maybe this one would suit better.

Sehun’s reply was under the photo of her wearing a black and white stripe dress that reached her knee. On top of that, she wore another dress, a spaghetti-strap transparent black one with lace and brocade details that were also knee-length. A simple black belt hugged her waist as an additional accessory. Seulgi nodded her head. Sehun’s pick was fine. She put those two dresses on the hanger next to her mirror and tidied up the rest of her clothes.

~***~

A date with her first client, according to Seulgi, didn’t feel entirely like a date.

But it was really for a good reason. Junmyeon arrived five minutes before the promised time, looking fresh with his bright yellow oversized sweatshirt, denim shorts, and sneakers. The first time he spotted Seulgi, he instantly formed a big smile on his face that was deadly contagious to Seulgi.

“Hey, Seulgi”, he greeted as he was already close to her. “Have you been waiting for long?”.

When Junmyeon offered his hand, Seulgi knew that maybe some habits would not cease no matter how hard you drew the boundaries. His grip was firm and confident, yet warm at the same time. Like what you did when you met someone new related to your professional life. 

“Junmyeon oppa, hi! I arrived shortly before you, don’t worry. Oh, nice outfit by the way”.

Actually, she was impressed by Junmyeon more than what he wore. Either it was because she finally saw him from less than a meter apart that she realized he was more handsome on the skin than on screen, or the masculine scent of wood and patchouli from him that added a more well-put impression, or the way he arrived on time—or maybe all of them. She wondered how much this excellent first impression would last.

“Ah, thank you, Seulgi. Let’s go inside now”. 

Seulgi’s big question about why a man as perfect as Junmyeon still needed a girlfriend to rent was finally answered when they ate at the cafe of Junmyeon’s choice. At that time, the place was quite busy because it was the time when most of the people had just had dinner. 

“Why did you choose to rent a girlfriend?”, she asked. “Wait, let me tell you something first. I got to choose my client too, okay? And I want to spend time with you because I think you’re a decent man. I mean, if I bring you to my hometown, I’m sure moms will line up to introduce their daughters to you”.

Junmyeon laughed, a little longer than Seulgi had heard before. “Is that a compliment for me?”.

“Of course it is!”.

Before Junmyeon got to answer, the waiter arrived at their table with a tray of two plates and two tall glasses. He muttered a soft ‘thank-you’ and smiled at her. Seulgi pulled her plate and glass to her side, while waiting for Junmyeon to quench her curiosity.

“When you already have everything that becomes a standard of happiness for most people, I think you’ll forget to fill your humane side”, Junmyeon started off with a statement that halted Seulgi from getting the first bite of her meal. 

“Does that translate to...”, Seulgi squinted her eyes. “Being lonely?”.

He nodded. “Correct”.

Seulgi finally got to taste her meal while thinking about her following response.

“But...did you have any potential lovers? Maybe someone who adores you...or likes you...”.

“It’s different, Seulgi”, he said. “They fell for the image they formed about me inside their heads. There are times where I wanted to be perceived as perfect, but a romantic relationship is not the one. I’m more than the hard-working or successful side that I bare to everyone”. 

They continued to eat in silence, for now they had something to discern inside their minds.

“Is that because you choose to focus on your career and your works for now?”, Seulgi asked him again. “So what people will see from you is what they deemed as ‘decent’ or ‘perfect’”.

“You’re seeing the pattern, right?”, Junmyeon looked up at her. “All I wanted to do since I was young is to climb the highest mountain, but I forgot that not everyone can reach that point. It’s so lonely up there”.

The realization that she and Junmyeon were just 5 years apart, yet their life was utterly different, hit Seulgi hard on her chest. A few weeks ago, she just got heartbroken by a guy who cheated on her and let the friend of her friend do her college task. And now, she was selling affection to the deprived people. She wondered if Junmyeon’s youth was filled with frivolous experiences like her too.

“I get it”, Seulgi said. “So, anything particular that you want me to do with you right now?”.

Junmyeon stopped his hands' movement to focus on gluing his gaze at Seulgi.

“Nothing. I just want to feel the simplicity of doing nothing, tonight”.

Because to some people, simplicity is actually a luxury.

Like, buying drinks with our loved ones, then walking by the river while holding hands and talking about trivial things. They spotted an empty bench under a tree which they would reach in about ten steps. Junmyeon pulled Seulgi to sit there, facing the river and hundreds of people going back and forth around them.

They spent almost the next hour talking. No coercion, no awkwardness. They could jump from one topic to another smoothly. It was a type of conversation that was only possible when both knew that the energy they expended was equal—no one was domineering and neither was overly passive.

Junmyeon realized that the time he had with Seulgi was running out. And even though talking to Seulgi evoked a sense of comfort he hadn’t felt in a long time—like talking to an old friend after a decade of not seeing each other—the time agreement between them had to be kept. 

So, as the last step in their date, Junmyeon walked Seulgi to the bus stop. 

“Seulgi, thank you so much. I feel a lot better by spending time with you”, Junmyeon smiled widely. He reached the top of Seulgi’s head to caress it gently. “Be safe when you get home, okay?”.

Seulgi was stunned by Junmyeon’s behavior, but then she smiled at him. “I have a great time too. And I mean it”.

The bus that Seulgi was going to take finally arrived at the bus stop.

“Goodbye, Junmyeon oppa. Thank you for today!”.

Junmyeon nodded. He waved to Seulgi, and the girl waved back before she stepped inside. From behind the window, Seulgi kept looking at Junmyeon. It turned out that the man was still waiting until Seulgi really left. The bus started running a few seconds later, and Junmyeon’s last smile of the day was fading, until it finally disappeared from her sight.

Seulgi took a selfie of herself while she was inside the bus and sent it to the group chat of her, Sehun, and Jongin.

Seulgi Kang

The first date is a total success!!!! I wanna do it again one hundred more times!!!

Sehun <3

Yay! Happy for you!!

How was Junmyeon like? 

As weird as it sounds, Seulgi didn’t see Junmyeon as her boyfriend tonight. He was more like the older brother figure that she could look up to every day and wouldn’t be disappointed every time she did it. The oddity of how Junmyeon made her feel, however, didn’t make her give a lousy evaluation towards him. It was still pleasant. And it was necessary because that was her first experience in this field.

Seulgi Kang

He is fine and ok. We had a good time. Not awkward at all.

Sehun <3

Thank goodness. So, are you ready for the next date?

Seulgi Kang

Absolutely!!!

The small number beside her previous chat bubble disappeared, indicating that both Sehun and Jongin had read her message. 

But Sehun was the only one who appeared in their chat room beside her. 

Seulgi shrugged it off. Perhaps it was just Jongin’s habit after all—to leave people’s chat on read. 

She put her phone back in her bag while staring at the passing roads and buildings outside, with glimmering rays from the street lights.

What a great time to be alive.

~***~