Chapter 5: Despite the Odds

twinkle.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jewelry shining under the sea in the dark, I will protect your light."

•••

 

Dosie awakens in her bed the next morning. She notices the sun shining brightly through her bedroom window, so she wonders what time it is. She figures she must have slept in late as the sun seems quite high in the sky as she walks over to check. She was absolutely exhausted when she got back to the Ilmol palace late the previous night. She's surprised she didn't pass out asleep on her walk back. She did not even bother to change out of her gown the previous night, so she does so now, changing into more casual clothing, putting on a white top and brown trousers. It was still nice clothing as the heir to the throne is always supposed to dress nicely, but it is definitely more casual than the gown she wore last night. 

After Dosie changes clothes, she heads out of her bedroom to grab something for breakfast, although she assumes it's likely closer to lunchtime. As she heads to the royal palace kitchen, she spots her father, who immediately beckons her over. She starts to feel a pit of worry in her gut. Her father's expression seemed disappointed... did she do something wrong? Did he find out what she did last night? She gulps nervously as she approaches her father, trying to act as if everything was normal. Once she got closer, her father spoke.

"Jang Dosie, where did you go last night?" Her father questions her sternly. "You never told me you were going anywhere. What did I say before about telling me before you go anywhere?!" He questions angrily. "I tried looking for you because there was something I had to tell you but I couldn't find you!"

"I'm sorry..." Dosie sighs. "I went out to the forest for some combat practice late last night. I was going to tell you... but I forgot. It won't happen again, I promise."

"You said that the last time! Clearly you did not learn your lesson. You are going to be confined to your bedroom for the next week so you feel sorry for what you've done!" He punishes her sternly, narrowing his eyes down at his daughter.

"What?!" Dosie responds in shock, her eyes widening. "But... that's not fair!"

"Yes, it is. I am your father and the King of Ilmol, you must go along with what I say," He states, keeping his eyes narrow. 

"But-" Dosie begins to protest until her father cuts her off.

"Dosie, you need to understand. You could've been hurt. Or even worse... killed! There's so much danger out there, especially at night! I don't want you practicing combat on those nighttime forest creatures at all. They're much too strong. If you're going to practice combat, do so there during the daytime or with another person like your sister. There's also the risk of Guleum invaders! They would not hesitate to kill the heir to the Ilmol throne if given the chance!" Her father explains seriously. "This is all because I care about you. I don't want anything happening to you," he admits in a rant. "One day, when you have your own children, you will understand how I feel."

If I ever have any children. Dosie wanted to say, but she just keeps her thoughts to herself. She doesn't want to upset him anymore. She knows that if she ends up with Goeun, she would not be able to have biological children of her own as they are both cisgender women, but there's a chance they could adopt at some point. She won't deny that possibility.

"Fine..." Dosie lets out another deep sigh, drooping her head a little.

"The maids and butlers will provide your necessities," Her father brings up. "I would've sent one to bring you breakfast earlier, but I wanted to speak to you first."

"Okay," Dosie nods.

"And don't come out of your room unless it's an emergency, got it?" Her father asks, making sure she understands the punishment. "There will be heavy security by your bedroom door to ensure you don't come out."

"Got it," Dosie responds unenthusiastically. 

"Good. You can head to your room now," He responds, dismissing her from the conversation. Dosie just responds with a nod before turning around and heading back to her bedroom, drooping her head a little.

Dosie is more upset over not being able to meet with Goeun than the punishment itself. She has been punished this way before and has gone through it with no problem. But she worries about Goeun. They are supposed to meet tomorrow night. She is going to miss so many planned meet-ups with Goeun. Dosie hopes desperately that Goeun does not get the wrong idea about her not showing up. The thought of Goeun's eventual disappointment of Dosie not showing up tomorrow night as they planned breaks her heart. She doesn't want Goeun to think she's not interested anymore.

Once Dosie re-enters her bedroom, she le

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter